AMS out for ten weeks - Loan striker coming

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Expect a new signing in the near future as Amari has been ruled out for ten weeks. I am hoping it's a loan with a view to permanent deal in January.
Malabus
The cost of a park replay. I did warn you all...but falls on deaf ears as usual.
James from the Echo
Full story here:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots more on the land swap, budgets, financial implications of not bouncing back, the academy system and even Paul Buckle and Martin Allen, online with videos tomorrow.
Nesty
James from the Echo wrote:Full story here:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots more on the land swap, budgets, financial implications of not bouncing back, the academy system and even Paul Buckle and Martin Allen, online with videos tomorrow.
with respect why oh why waste breath and airtime on those two wassocks
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:The cost of a park replay. I did warn you all...but falls on deaf ears as usual.
Indeed - needless replays after a debacle cup tie, coinciding with not having a third striker meant the inevitable, and very preventable, happened.

Plus remember AMS has come to us on the back of injuries and not many games - was foolish to think we could run him into the ground two games a week without an injury.
horlickfanclub
He collided with the goalie. WhY is that anything to do with replays,past injuries, number of games or the price of milk.I see Robin wants a permanent signing that he has not even seen play yet as he yet again dumps Dale,Williams, Richards and when fit Omari and Waters down the pecking order.
CTFC_Forever
Harsh reality of only being able to have 5 on the bench.
Any loan that comes in will just sit on the bench anyway, just like Cooke did. GJ will not disrupt the core group.
Although we are just one knock away from a disaster. Take Wright out of the equation and the goals will start to dry up.
Robin
Any new player coming in needs to be on a par with or better than Wright in my eyes. No point signing a player not better than we have.
Red Duke
Are either Dale or Williams available for selection tomorrow or are they cup-tied?
kora
I think they're both cup tied but Dayton is free to play so we should have enough to beat Pools.
darreno
I think they're both cup tied but Dayton is free to play so we should have enough to beat Pools.
Not sure I share everyone else's enthusiasm. have wenot learnt anything from last season? Why did pools stay up and we go down? Yes, partly because we were sh!te, but they had a will to win when needed. I expect a difficult game.

Just my view.
CTFC_Forever
darreno wrote:
Not sure I share everyone else's enthusiasm. have wenot learnt anything from last season? Why did pools stay up and we go down? Yes, partly because we were sh!te, but they had a will to win when needed. I expect a difficult game.

Just my view.
Yes, I share your caution. The only thing in our favour is our form. If we can get a draw away and bring them to WR then we have the chance of getting through to the second round, although do we really need the extra game?
Cheltenhamshire10
Not yet, but come January I expect Richards to be 3rd choice striker. Makes perfect sense to bring in a 1 or 2 month loan to cover this injury. We don't need a new permanent signing yet, as that will mean 1 of AMS/Richards(when fit) or new loan signing sitting in the stands, not being match fit and probably getting frustrated at not playing.
GJ has managed this squad very well so far, we haven't had people complaining about not playing and getting frustrated, the youngsters are out on loan playing which is what they need at this moment in time.
Robin
Caution is fine but this smacks of pessimism to me. Just watching our current team it's pretty clear to me we would likely be top third in league two. We are facing a side battling relegation, low on confidence we should be optimistic and able to go there believing we can win it.
Old Coventrian
Robin wrote:Any new player coming in needs to be on a par with or better than Wright in my eyes. No point signing a player not better than we have.
Is anybody better than what we have a)likely to be available in January, or b) likely to want to join us permanently? Assuming we have the money for a signing then?

More likely a loan till end of season with a view to permanent move (chances of which will be enhanced if we manage to go up!) - which may mean we don't get anyone in until January
Robin
I think we could certainly attract strikers from the majority of clubs in this league OC and also some from the league above if they are frozen out at their current clubs. Additionally we may also look at loans from higher division clubs.
Artemis
if anyone does come in, it'll be a short term loan to cover whilst AMS is unavailable. One month poss extended to two if Eliot Richards' return is delayed. Football League (Champ or League 1) U21 / 18 player, geographically close enough so no accommodation required - Brizzle City / Reading / Swindon / Birmingham / Cardiff?
Robin
We are planning to make permanent signings in January Art, there is no reason this cannot be a loan with a view to a permanent signing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:He collided with the goalie. WhY is that anything to do with replays,past injuries, number of games or the price of milk.I see Robin wants a permanent signing that he has not even seen play yet as he yet again dumps Dale,Williams, Richards and when fit Omari and Waters down the pecking order.
The game in which it happened was a replay. Had we not ballsed up in Havant then AMS would have been resting tired limbs at home, not colliding with a keeper in the replay. Furthermore, had we had a full squad and a third striker to play, AMS wouldn't have had to play any way. A general cock-up all round.
Oldun
And it is possible to argue that had AMS been playing we may not have won at Grimsby!
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:He collided with the goalie. WhY is that anything to do with replays,past injuries, number of games or the price of milk.I see Robin wants a permanent signing that he has not even seen play yet as he yet again dumps Dale,Williams, Richards and when fit Omari and Waters down the pecking order.
The game in which it happened was a replay. Had we not ballsed up in Havant then AMS would have been resting tired limbs at home, not colliding with a keeper in the replay. Furthermore, had we had a full squad and a third striker to play, AMS wouldn't have had to play any way. A general cock-up all round.
This is pointless. You cannot wrap players in cotton wool. We are not going to win every game this season, regardless of the quality of the opposition. Players can get injured in training, injured getting out of a car or dropping something on their foot!
Like Oldun said, we won at Grimsby without RMS. We will not be the only team in the league that can't put our best team out every week. That's football I'm afraid.
Sprout Picker
Totally agree Alf.
leohoenig
Alf wrote: Players can get injured in training, injured getting out of a car or dropping something on their foot!
Was it Damian who sustained an injury by treading on a child's toy?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
This is pointless. You cannot wrap players in cotton wool. We are not going to win every game this season, regardless of the quality of the opposition. Players can get injured in training, injured getting out of a car or dropping something on their foot!
Like Oldun said, we won at Grimsby without RMS. We will not be the only team in the league that can't put our best team out every week. That's football I'm afraid.
It is indeed football and you are absolutely correct - doesn't change the fact that having two players competing/rotating in every position and avoiding replays reduces the likelihood of injury by virtue of a player playing fewer games. Football is a squad game after all.