Gary Johnson - how long?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
But GJ made a song and dance about players not being good enough for the league and let go, he's now had a to get 'another' keeper in after four games as he's not good enough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:But GJ made a song and dance about players not being good enough for the league and let go, he's now had a to get 'another' keeper in after four games as he's not good enough.
See my previous post.
longmover
Since Phillips GJ has been all over the place with keepers, he says experience comes with a price (showing that he would prefer not to layout), he then brings in cheaper younger keepers who aren't good enough (gets stung) and ends up bringing in experience. How much say does Booky have in these signings? To me it looks as though GJ's mantra is to save money by keeping 'keepers' cheap.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
GJ prefers not to lay out, or the people in charge of the money do not prefer to, or, more likely, can't afford to.

I would be highly surprised if GJ prefers and chooses not to spend all of the budget available and doesn't ask the chairman for more.

One of the oddest accusations ever made about a man anger on this forum!
confused.com
Can appreciate this debate, keeping in mind flinders has been available all summer. Does seem rather odd and rather distasteful re Flatt
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Can appreciate this debate, keeping in mind flinders has been available all summer. Does seem rather odd and rather distasteful re Flatt
That's football. We went for Flatt, and turns out to have been good enough and not settled well with his team mates. All parties move on. No room for sentimentality.

Had we signed Flinders in July, people may have been asking why we didn't go for a younger keeper from a higher team.

Most important thing is, once it looked like Flatt was struggling and the defence was lacking League experience, how we reacted.
horlickfanclub
Expensively.
longmover
I'll agree the reaction was swift but, GJ has repeated the same mistake as the season before with Griffiths.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Expensively.
Is it?
horlickfanclub
We had two keepers.Now we have three.How can it be cheaper?
kora
I would imagine Rhys will be going out on loan along with Josh And Matty. They need to be playing regularly to improve and that won't happen here yet. I would hope they all go to Vanarama North or South if not the connie proper. Hopefully Holman will also go out to try to find his form then come back firing in January.
Robin
Fully agree we should be looking to get both Rhys and Josh out to conference North or South clubs and if they do well they come back and fight or a spot here in the second half of the season. I think we need to keep Matty Bower here though until Downes has recovered at least.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:We had two keepers.Now we have three.How can it be cheaper?
I didn't say cheaper, just we don't know it was expensive. Both keepers may be cheap, and for all we know cheaper combined than one more expensive keeper we may be unaware of Gary speaking to.

When we know so little, rash assertions of fact are folly.