Gary Johnson - how long?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:what it is time for is time for GJ and his brother to get their fe@@king fingers out and sign some decent players, and " 1 or 2" isnt way near enough. even before the Boyle/Forster injuries and Grimes 3 game suspension the guys on the radio were calling the squad "wafer thin", so sorry Mr Johnson 1 or 2 wont cut it, we need 4 or 5 two fullbacks , a CB on short term loan, a winger and a good striker

NO MORE ROUND PEGS
I trust you mean square pegs.
confused.com
Outplayed for 70 mins, what planet are you on Robin?? You don't go 60 mins outplaying people throw away a e goal lead and concede 4!!! Bet Exeter are hoping they are outplayed every match!
Rulistening
Robin wrote:I knew there would be a meltdown but this is pathetic, we outplayed the team top of the league for 70 minutes today before the Forster injury when we fell apart.
Outplayed them for 70 minutes?? :lol: :lol: You getting confused with your Football Manager save mate? certianly didn't go to the same game that I did today
robinsrule
Our defence is an absolute shambles. The buck stops with the manager. I stick by the prediction I made in June (not on here) that we get off to a bad start and Gary walks, citing medical reasons. The stress can't be doing his ticker any good, and though his hands are tied to an extent, he's not helping himself at the moment.
confused.com
Him and Pete always talk the talk. Nows the time to get the reinforcements. No harm too him but he should have been on the phone weeks ago. Where is the icon that was returning? Where is John Wayne???
triggo
OP is having a larf.
Gary Johnson still our ace card !!!
nuff said and don't bother posting such drivel again
confused.com
If that's the case, hope he plays it soon!
Robin
With the exceptions of Flatt and Grimes all the summer signings have significantly improved the team, would anyone disagree with that statement?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:If that's the case, hope he plays it soon!
We have done well to sign players like Forster and Dawson, and keep players who have been offered terms in the league above.

Without Gary that probably would not be the case and we would not be able to attract and retain as good players as we have and would be in even more trouble.
Del Boy
Johnson has the worst League 2 record of any manager we've ever had - yet some think he's some kind of messiah. Yes, he did well to get us back up having failed to save us from relegation but everything since as been a shambles.

Stevie Cotts always took the blame and backed is players. With this bloke it's all about his ego.

It will inevitably end in tears eventually but he's got so many people mesmerised it won't be for a good while.
Robin
Yes, let's get Yates or Buckle back quick!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Yes, let's get Yates or Buckle back quick!!
Quite, some real tosh being spouted on here tonight by some.
I-Love-CTFC
Del Boy wrote:Johnson has the worst League 2 record of any manager we've ever had - yet some think he's some kind of messiah. Yes, he did well to get us back up having failed to save us from relegation but everything since as been a shambles.

Stevie Cotts always took the blame and backed is players. With this bloke it's all about his ego.

It will inevitably end in tears eventually but he's got so many people mesmerised it won't be for a good while.
King Johnson is untouchable to some fans. He wasn't untouchable at Yeovil where he was such a success and things went quickly downhill after he took them to the Championship. They've been on a downward spiral ever since.
Robin
He's not untouchable and if we struggle this season then I think his position does become under threat but some of the garbage being spouted is ridiculous.
Sprout Picker
Del Boy wrote:Johnson has the worst League 2 record of any manager we've ever had - yet some think he's some kind of messiah. Yes, he did well to get us back up having failed to save us from relegation but everything since as been a shambles.

Worst League 2 record?! Do the names Paul Buckle, Bobby Gould and Martin Allen mean anything?!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:He's not untouchable and if we struggle this season then I think his position does become under threat but some of the garbage being spouted is ridiculous.
Sensible position Robin and one most, including myself, agree with I am sure.

Despite what some of the intellectually challenged like Del Boy think, the only options are not a binary choice to want him out now or think he is an untouchable demigod - there is plenty of scope for more pragmatic positions.
Oldun
I was going to start a new thread entitled "Total Over Reaction!" but when I noticed that this thread had reared its ugly head again it's probably a good place to make an observation or two.
I cannot believe the total over reaction to yesterday. We were superb for 30 mins and average for the rest of the game apart from a couple of individual errors and one or two atrocious bit of misfortune.
For people to come on and slate GJ, Harry, Mo etc is unacceptable and unnecessary.
The individual errors (Dawson's miss at 2-0. Mo's slip, Kyle trip for free kick, the Grimes disaster) cost us as did the ill fortune of the injury (to add to those we have already) and the bounce of the ball in the second goal and even the third, when the Grimes attempted clearance could easily have bounced somewhere else instead of at the feet of the EC striker.
Of course we need reinforcements and it is disappointing that GJ has not found these earlier. But why the moaners have to use every opportunity to slate players and managers is a mystery. The suggestion is that GJ has not made the effort to get players or asks the wrong ones. How we do we know what goes on with Gary's phone? It would be good if we dealt in fact and not warped opinion.
The facts is that GJ has brought in several players that do improve the squad (Dawson, Mo, Forster Nige ). The facts is that Cranston has improved no end (Witness the 50 yard pass that almost brought a third goal yesterday) The fact is we have had three injuries that have affected us and yesterday is really bad) The fact is that we have had to play extra games with extra time in one and one or two are feeling that.
Give em a break!!!!!!
PS How about aa moratorium on moaning on the Nest. Guess that would pretty well shut it down and also stop me moaning about the moaners.
Robin
Spot on Oldun. I almost quit yesterday because of some of the garbage.
Del Boy
Sprout Picker wrote:

Worst League 2 record?! Do the names Paul Buckle, Bobby Gould and Martin Allen mean anything?!
Luckily Buckle was here for ten minutes. I would be surprised if points-to-games ratio of Gould and Allen was worse than Johnson's given we've won 14 games from 57 matches under the current manager losing 28.

I'm at a loss why so many are so prickly when Johnson is questioned.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Spot on Oldun. I almost quit yesterday because of some of the garbage.
Must be difficult being a moderator in face of such garbage Robin as it limits your ability to argue back and get angry at posters, let alone dish out some of the insults and home-truths the tosh talkers deserve.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

Luckily Buckle was here for ten minutes. I would be surprised if points-to-games ratio of Gould and Allen was worse than Johnson's given we've won 14 games from 57 matches under the current manager losing 28.

I'm at a loss why so many are so prickly when Johnson is questioned.
It is not the questioning which prickles but the hysteric and OTT tone. Of course we should always be questioning the manager, holding them to account, discussing what improvements need to be made. That is fine.

Getting worked up and banging on about sacking a manager after four games of a season and the histrionic reaction yesterday is what prickles.

Yes football is an emotional game, but if posters are unable to think rationally and appreciate wider context in the heat of emotion then of course it will prickle others.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:He's not untouchable and if we struggle this season then I think his position does become under threat but some of the garbage being spouted is ridiculous.

Despite what some of the intellectually challenged like Del Boy think, the only options are not a binary choice to want him out now or think he is an untouchable demigod - there is plenty of scope for more pragmatic positions.
You're a class act.

"Intellectually challenged" yet you know nothing about me. You seem to be a typical internet bully. Probably in marketing or It in the public sector. I've had plenty of people like you work for me - none of them were allowed to last very long.

For what it's worth I don't think changing the manager now would be the best option. But what he's doing should be open to question.

I'll not be replying because I haven't got the time to keep looking at this site - unlike some - as I've got a couple of businesses to run.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

You're a class act.

"Intellectually challenged" yet you know nothing about me. You seem to be a typical internet bully. Probably in marketing or It in the public sector. I've had plenty of people like you work for me - none of them were allowed to last very long.

For what it's worth I don't think changing the manager now would be the best option. But what he's doing should be open to question.

I'll not be replying because I haven't got the time to keep looking at this site - unlike some - as I've got a couple of businesses to run.
Niether marketing (BS jargon for chavs with no intellectual thought) nor Public Sector (box ticking dullards with no desire for learning).

I agree with you we should not sack and should be open to question: well done on toning down your rhetoric and reaching a more balanced view.

Btw, what type of businesses? I am a director of one economics research consultancy and part of a small team of five in a supply chain sustainability consultancy split between here and China so we may have some mutual opportunities to discuss. PM if so.
Lord Elpuz
Oldun wrote:I was going to start a new thread entitled "Total Over Reaction!" but when I noticed that this thread had reared its ugly head again it's probably a good place to make an observation or two.
I cannot believe the total over reaction to yesterday. We were superb for 30 mins and average for the rest of the game apart from a couple of individual errors and one or two atrocious bit of misfortune.
For people to come on and slate GJ, Harry, Mo etc is unacceptable and unnecessary.
The individual errors (Dawson's miss at 2-0. Mo's slip, Kyle trip for free kick, the Grimes disaster) cost us as did the ill fortune of the injury (to add to those we have already) and the bounce of the ball in the second goal and even the third, when the Grimes attempted clearance could easily have bounced somewhere else instead of at the feet of the EC striker.
Of course we need reinforcements and it is disappointing that GJ has not found these earlier. But why the moaners have to use every opportunity to slate players and managers is a mystery. The suggestion is that GJ has not made the effort to get players or asks the wrong ones. How we do we know what goes on with Gary's phone? It would be good if we dealt in fact and not warped opinion.
The facts is that GJ has brought in several players that do improve the squad (Dawson, Mo, Forster Nige ). The facts is that Cranston has improved no end (Witness the 50 yard pass that almost brought a third goal yesterday) The fact is we have had three injuries that have affected us and yesterday is really bad) The fact is that we have had to play extra games with extra time in one and one or two are feeling that.
Give em a break!!!!!!
PS How about aa moratorium on moaning on the Nest. Guess that would pretty well shut it down and also stop me moaning about the moaners.
Top post, my fine fellow. Well said.

Cheltenham are not very far away from turning these 'almost' games into full-match performances par excellence. The Exeter game showed that our side has plenty of capability, it just needs a bit more resolve and better organisation when defending leads. Our lads put 3 goals past the current leaders of the Division and early in the game it looked as though the floodgates would open. I have every confidence that Mr Johnson will sort it, and knee-jerk reactions from a small number of panic stricken fans are not what is required right now.

Relegated teams struggle to score goals. Cheltenham have goals in the side and the best moment for me was seeing the grit and determination of Dan Holman to score what could be his much needed "comeback goal".

Fingers crossed for Jordan Forster, that his injury is not serious and he's back in the side as quickly as possible.
paperboy
....very distasteful to describe someone as intellectually challenged simply because their views are in the minority.
Nesty
agree with all of that Oldun, however a lot of the "moaning" stems from the fact that we are 4 days away from the end of the transfer window and still need to sign players. Additionally GJ seems to be saying he needs 2 players yet even that I am afraid will leave us short as the current injuries/suspension situation with our CB's. The said lack of signings has also led to the "square pegs" problem. Typically we only have one full back, so we are set to sign another left back!!
I-Love-CTFC
Gary Johnson's League 2 Record with us

2014/15 7 games - 1 Win Draws 1 Losses 5
2016/17 36 games - 9 Wins Draws 12 Losses 15
2017/18 4 games - 1 win Draws 0 Losses 3

The 2016/17 shows 36 games because he missed the last 10 games of season due to heart surgery.

Overall

Games - 47
Wins - 11
Draws - 13
Losses - 23

Win % of 23.4%
Si Robin
Buckle:
Games - 13
Won - 1
Drew - 5
Lost - 1

Win % - 7.7%

Gould (League 2 only):
Games - 14
Wins - 4
Draws - 3
Lost - 7

Win % - 28.6%

Allen:
Games - 13
Wins - 3
Draws - 5
Losses - 5

Win % - 23.1%

Schofield:
Games - 8
Wins - 1
Draws - 3
Lost - 4

Win % - 12.5%
confused.com
surely this is a perfectly legitimate discussion to be having without such aggressive , bully boy responses ?
We don't have a full squad
We are far from a balanced team with every positioned covered let alone competition for places.
The bench is pretty threadbare. The 'what about the injuries' argument is meaningless as a plan should cover these. after a very poor recruitment last year, people are quite within their rights to discuss. \there has been nothing personal or abusive said about GJ, so why the response ? As I said before, I think he should stay as with 4 days left to get more in, its not the time for change. if we missed plan A and plan B and Plan c, then Plan D should have kicked in. No matter what Business you are running, to not have your resources identified and in place when the project starts, would have the manager in question being looked at
confused.com
Si Robin wrote:Buckle:
Games - 13
Won - 1
Drew - 5
Lost - 1

Win % - 7.7%

Gould (League 2 only):
Games - 14
Wins - 4
Draws - 3
Lost - 7

Win % - 28.6%

Allen:
Games - 13
Wins - 3
Draws - 5
Losses - 5

Win % - 23.1%

Schofield:
Games - 8
Wins - 1
Draws - 3
Lost - 4

Win % - 12.5%

and the hounded by the majority on here, MY ?
I-Love-CTFC
Mark Yates (League 2 only not including play-off games)

2009/10 - 25 games - 6 wins 10 draws 9 losses
2010/11 - 46 games - 13 wins 13 draws 20 losses
2011/12 - 46 games - 23 wins 8 draws 15 losses
2012/13 - 46 games - 20 wins 15 draws 11 losses
2013/14 - 46 games - 13 wins 16 draws 17 losses
2014/15 - 18 games - 6 wins 4 draws 8 losses

Overall:

Games: 227
Wins: 81
Draws: 66
Losses: 80

Win percentage of 26.3%

After the first 10 games in Yates' final season we took 15 points.

Won 4
Drawn 3
Lost 3

In Yates' final 8 games in charge we Won 2 Drew 1 Lost 5. Yates was sacked following 4 consecutive losses.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:....very distasteful to describe someone as intellectually challenged simply because their views are in the minority.
It wasn't the views or opinions I was complaining about, just the clear simplicity and lack of reasoned consideration underlying the opinions. Well reasoned opinions of all hues and differences are welcome, and as you say, it would be distasteful to demean anyone just because their well reasoned opinion is different to your own.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:surely this is a perfectly legitimate discussion to be having without such aggressive , bully boy responses ?
We don't have a full squad
We are far from a balanced team with every positioned covered let alone competition for places.
The bench is pretty threadbare. The 'what about the injuries' argument is meaningless as a plan should cover these. after a very poor recruitment last year, people are quite within their rights to discuss. \there has been nothing personal or abusive said about GJ, so why the response ? As I said before, I think he should stay as with 4 days left to get more in, its not the time for change. if we missed plan A and plan B and Plan c, then Plan D should have kicked in. No matter what Business you are running, to not have your resources identified and in place when the project starts, would have the manager in question being looked at
Yes, agree with that. A squad should be in place by this stage of the season to cope with injuries. Gary has to act in what is left of this window or fans will rightly be worried.
longmover
I hope Baker has had a full explanation to the signing of Flatt , really very strange indeed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:I hope Baker has had a full explanation to the signing of Flatt , really very strange indeed.
Simple.

Gary obviously decided to get a cheap (young) keeper in on loan relatively early, and Phillips at the time was snared by Charlton. Like Phillips would have been, taking young keeper with no league experience did not work out, especially now we are relying on young defenders. Nothing more to it than that I don't think.