Latest on Asa Hall

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/LoanIsExtended" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red&WhiteArmy
Can't agree with this decision.
Article makes it sound we don't even have a 24 hour call back option in case of injuries. Madness when we've been struggling in midfield of late
FOD_Wyman_2010
Article says that we couldn't bring him back until after the weekend and at that point Stoz would be back anyway.

But I would have still brought him back because we will be in the same position if Pell, Stoz, Rowe or Dayts get suspended or injured.

I just don't see why you wouldn't bring him back with form and numbers low on the ground.
Fuller
I don't get this ... it says we wanted him back but he is staying at York ?

Surely he is our most experienced FL midfielder, I reckon we need him back for the last 7 games after his loan was up this Saturday. Or perhaps we are over budget and could not afford his wages, but better to swap him for Rowe or Munns surely ?

So in 3 seasons with us we never really saw Asa have a decent run in the side which was a massive shame, he was a player with real pedigree, who knows when we got relegated 2 years ago he could have made all the difference if he'd had a full season.

So if that's it, thanks Asa, sorry it never really worked out for you at the Robins.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Possible of course that Asa didn't want to come back and miss out on a trip to Wembley for the sake of being on the bench or worse here bearing in mind that he wasn't considered good enough only a few weeks ago.
Nesty
madness -
Reliant Robin
Totally agree with the views on Asa's pedigree and we definitely would have benefitted in having him back for the remaining battle for survival.

However, with his injury record and his age and the fact he hasn't had much football at CTFC because of sheer bad luck, it was probably unlikely we would have kept him on after this season, and therefore going back to his age, he will want to find a new club, so playing regularly gives him that improved opportunity. I wish him well, because he really was very unlucky at CTFC.
Cheltenhamshire10
If I was Asa I'd stay at York, get some game time and a trip to Wembley.
When we signed him thought he was a great signing, but luck hasn't been on his side at Cheltenham.
confused.com
Excuse me! Who pays his bills. As if I care if he wanted to stay for a day out
Robin
A little perspective here guys. Asa was a good squad player for us but in reality he was never more than fourth or five choice for us in midfield. I personally would have retained him as cover for next season but it seems he's happy to drop down in a relegation spot in the conference and most likely it will become a permanent deal along with AMS and Parslow so it fits well for him. I wish him well but it shouldn't be a massively loss.
Tewkesbury Robin
Another bizarre decision.

According to York`s Manager:

"They wanted him back but we`ve managed to keep him after a lot of talking".

I thought Asa`s playing contract was with Cheltenham so whatever York wanted should not really matter if we were determined to recall him once the initial 28 day loan period was up. I understand that he is based in Birmingham so I would have thought the commute to Cheltenham was a lot easier particularly when car sharing with Stoz than York!

This seems to be another of the increasingly odd situations that have blighted our season.

If Storer serving a nine game ban instead of the initial punishment of eight because the FA couldn`t make up their minds regarding the status of the Checkatrade Cup was not bad enough. Now it seems that Hall`s loan actually expired after Saturday`s game even though it was supposed to end on Thursday making it 30 days in total.

Why are we allowing ourselves to be dictated to by a lower league club when we hold the players contract? As an experienced player he would have been an useful addition to our squad battling relegation particularly in view of his versatility.
Robin
My interpretation was that we wanted Asa to play on Saturday whilst Stoz was still suspended however after that he would have been cover only. Therefore after realising he's not available for Saturday we've agreed he can stay there for the remainder of the season because he will not be offered a new deal here.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Can we still recall him after next weekend? Russ seemed to infer we could still bring him back if required in his interview so if that was true then he could still cover emergencies.
kora
Maybe Asa had a say in it and wanted to stay, thereby proving yet again that CTFC are a nice club who care about players.
Robin
Yes I suspect there is some truth there play regularly for York with the incentive of a deal for next season (albeit on lower wages) or sit on the bench here with no likely deal but slighly better wages.
darreno
Yes I suspect there is some truth there play regularly for York with the incentive of a deal for next season (albeit on lower wages) or sit on the bench here with no likely deal but slighly better wages.
It's not clear what is being said here.

His wages are the same whether he's playing for York or bench warming for us, yes? His wages will only be lower, presumably, when his existing contract ends and he signs a new one with someone else.
Robin
That's what I am saying if he plays at York he may get a new deal there (albeit on lower wages) whereas if he stays here as cover he's less likely to get a deal and when not playing he's less likely to find a league two club.
Del Boy
I would imagine he would be confident of signing for someone better than York next season considering they're likely to be in the Conference north.
Malabus
Enjoy Conference North, Asa.
CTFC03
Unless it was Asa's decision to stay then it's madness.
Shade
York will stay up. Their stirring 5-3 midweek win, coupled with their trio of Champions, will see them pull off the improbable.