Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 



Author Message
 Post subject: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 15:30 
Offline

Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 21:19
Posts: 3258
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Confirmed: http://bit.ly/JanuarySigning2


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 15:34 
Offline

Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 16:50
Posts: 107
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Welcone back Billy


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 16:03 
Offline

Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 15:19
Posts: 1167
Location: Stroud District
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Welcome back Billy!

Pleased with this signing for sure!


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 16:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018, 09:08
Posts: 730
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Boo thought this was a perm signing and then I get to last line


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 16:51 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 10:23
Posts: 979
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Will he play up front or out wide I wonder ?

No word from Duffo on the loan and picture of the Chairman with Billy on the official site. Perhaps Mike has gone off to find another loanee ?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:23 
Offline

Joined: 26 Dec 2012, 18:27
Posts: 1087
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Well happy with this. Welcome back Billy. :D


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:31 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12930
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I've got mixed feelings on this to be honest. Players who return to clubs rarely exceed expectation and since he's left us he's not impressed either at Northampton or Cambridge. On a more positive note I do feel Billy at the top of his game is what we need right now injecting some much needed pace alongside either Tyrone or Varney and you would hope this is on loan with a potential permanent deal in the summer if it suits all parties.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:40 
Offline

Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 02:56
Posts: 4420
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Excellent signing. Welcome home Billy!


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:52 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 10:37
Posts: 4537
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
I agree with Robin. Billy will never be a really prolific striker - but he always seemed to have a knack of arriving at the ball at just the right time. Used to work hard for the team, too. Him and Broom in the same team might be fast and fun.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:56 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 11:29
Posts: 3161
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Fuller wrote:
Will he play up front or out wide I wonder ?

No word from Duffo on the loan and picture of the Chairman with Billy on the official site. Perhaps Mike has gone off to find another loanee ?


It may be something to do with today being Duffo's birthday - training this morning then out with the family this afternoon. I have no evidence of this mind.

Billy is the perfect man to latch onto Barnett's knockdowns. He knows the club as well, so should slot right back in.

Welcome back Billy.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:57 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2886
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Welcome back Billy.No motivation needed with him.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:58 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 10422
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I guess I'm probably the only Cheltenham fan who isn't over the moon to see Billy back. I mean, I like him and he scored his fair share of goals for us but I got so frustrated watching him run down blind alleys time after time, and he's hardly had a great time since he left (hence he finds himself back here despite leaving for greener pastures at the first opportunity).


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 18:51 
Offline

Joined: 30 May 2012, 08:18
Posts: 1117
Location: Cirencester
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I'm very pleased about this. Billy is such a wholehearted player who will provide plenty of pace, chip in with a few goals, and hit the ground running. Good to see him back.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 18:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 20:35
Posts: 524
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
This is an interesting one. I have reservations like Robin and asl, because of his record since leaving Cheltenham - I didn’t want him to leave in the first place, because I didn’t think he was going to a better/bigger club, even though they were a league higher at the time. I now welcome Billy back, and hope that he can turn on the style and work rate that made him fans’ Player of the Year in his last year here at The Robins. But it is an interesting one ... methinks it may be a signal that Ryan Broom is going (to burton, probably) and that Billy is the replacement?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 19:35 
Offline

Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 21:34
Posts: 90
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Billy Boy is back.
Whooppee Doo.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 19:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 20373
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Lord Elpuz wrote:
This is an interesting one. I have reservations like Robin and asl, because of his record since leaving Cheltenham - I didn’t want him to leave in the first place, because I didn’t think he was going to a better/bigger club, even though they were a league higher at the time. I now welcome Billy back, and hope that he can turn on the style and work rate that made him fans’ Player of the Year in his last year here at The Robins. But it is an interesting one ... methinks it may be a signal that Ryan Broom is going (to burton, probably) and that Billy is the replacement?


Could well be that this is part of puzzle piece moving and wheeler dealing. If Billy comes in on loan, and Broom gets sold for money, then player-wise we are pretty much the same but it means we have more money to strengthen the crisis areas (CB / CM).


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 19:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5474
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I think we can assume that any new signings we make in the window will be loans. Currently we have 3 - Pring, Maddox and Waters. so, with the maximum number of loans set at 8 in the EFL we have 5 more slots available but to avoid the situation we had last season when we had loan players sat in the stand, I would bet money we only sign another 2 or 3 given the maximum allowed in a match day squad is 5. As RCS rightly says I would think we will be looking to cover the injury hit sections


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 20:28 
Offline

Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 11:49
Posts: 316
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
I think we can assume that any new signings we make in the window will be loans. Currently we have 3 - Pring, Maddox and Waters. so, with the maximum number of loans set at 8 in the EFL we have 5 more slots available but to avoid the situation we had last season when we had loan players sat in the stand, I would bet money we only sign another 2 or 3 given the maximum allowed in a match day squad is 5. As RCS rightly says I would think we will be looking to cover the injury hit sections


As mentioned by others I think Barnett being a permanent signing was important to Duff to free up a loan slot. I'd expect minimum 2 more loans in.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 20:49 
Offline

Joined: 26 Nov 2014, 00:39
Posts: 213
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Great signing. Fits the style of how Duff wants to play. I know since leaving Cheltenham he hasn’t had a great time but he’s been played out of position. A complaint made by a lot of Northampton fans (RWB at times)

I don’t see him as a replacement for Broom at all. I see Billy playing in one of the forward positions off of Ty whilst Broom plays at RWB


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 22:31 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 11:15
Posts: 890
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Agree. Based on how we have played in recent times he fits well. Either up front in a two or if we play 343 addai and waters either side of Barnett possibly.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 10:54 
Offline

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 10:11
Posts: 1475
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
asl wrote:
I agree with Robin. Billy will never be a really prolific striker - but he always seemed to have a knack of arriving at the ball at just the right time. Used to work hard for the team, too. Him and Broom in the same team might be fast and fun.

He does work hard but lots of his runs used to be across the pitch,i hope he can be more direct now and attack defenders.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 11:11 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 20373
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
everyman wrote:
asl wrote:
I agree with Robin. Billy will never be a really prolific striker - but he always seemed to have a knack of arriving at the ball at just the right time. Used to work hard for the team, too. Him and Broom in the same team might be fast and fun.

He does work hard but lots of his runs used to be across the pitch,i hope he can be more direct now and attack defenders.


Duff has been better at making sure our runs and passing are forward and have a person (rather than worthless sideways/backwards possession) so hopefully he can help Billy focus on being effective with the ball rather just having the ball, even if it means having the ball less. If all Billy does in a match is 2 runs into the box that is much more likely to lead to a positive result than if he does 20 runs across the pitch and none in the box.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Second signing of January window
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 14:33 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 10:23
Posts: 876
Location: cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Robin wrote:
I've got mixed feelings on this to be honest. Players who return to clubs rarely exceed expectation and since he's left us he's not impressed either at Northampton or Cambridge. On a more positive note I do feel Billy at the top of his game is what we need right now injecting some much needed pace alongside either Tyrone or Varney and you would hope this is on loan with a potential permanent deal in the summer if it suits all parties.


Totally with you on this one Robin, hes been poor since he left us BUT if on his return he finds the form he was in when first with us then it will be a more than a decent signing


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron