Cheltenham Town v Crewe Alexandra

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CreweAlex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
Would've taken the result before the game but against ten men, it is perhaps a little disappointing. That said, to feel disappointed is a sign of just how far we have come in such little time. A great time to be a Cheltenham fan.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Disappointing. Exeter lose so Crewe are level on points with them. We let both sides off the hook.

Still, another game unbeaten. We go again. Puts a bit more pressure on the next away games another tough home game coming up against Newport - but no reason we shouldn’t go into any of the next three games expecting to win!

The FGR game could be huge. They are level on points with us and we can let them deny us top spot.

COYR
Ben3
A bit disappointing as we probably edged it. Fair play to crewe though, one of the better teams I’ve seen this season.

As with Swindon, we should have won it last ten minutes. They will be chuffed to survive with a point.

When addai is on - please just put the ball into space for him to get. They were terrified of him and he can’t be far off a starting place
Alf
For me, the most disappointing part of the game was giving away the equaliser in time added on first half. I thought we just lost the game plan a bit, gave the ball away needlessly and were punished for it.
Second half we still had chances but so did they and I think it was probably a fair result and it’s just good to be competing at the right end of the table.
It would be interesting to see Addai on a bit earlier because he seems to terrify defenders, especially in the box but Duffo knows what he’s doing. It’s just a passing thought.
Shade
At least we got a draw against a good side despite what I thought was our worst home performance with the ball for quite a long time. If only Reg had made a connected tion or Broom had stuck his foot through it... Very frustrating the amount of times the ball went forward and either broke to a Crewe player or a Crewe player was found by their defenders.

Still maybe it's good we're not top tonight...don't want to peak too soon...

Anyone know why their guy got a second yellow? I noticed nobody argued at all.
joes dad
Crewe no.2 Perry,who had been booked earlier, pulled down Reilly, I think it was Reilly,Ref. waved play on... then booked him again.
Huw Jarse
Yep, that's how I saw it, good refereeing to take it back. Decent game

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
ctfc-fan
Huw Jarse wrote:Yep, that's how I saw it, good refereeing to take it back. Decent game

According to the radio he’s not allowed to send him off if he’s allowed play on.
asl
According to the new rules, our player shouldn't have been required to leave the pitch after treatment when the guy who tackled him was booked.
joes dad
ctfc-fan wrote:
Huw Jarse wrote:Yep, that's how I saw it, good refereeing to take it back. Decent game

According to the radio he’s not allowed to send him off if he’s allowed play on.
That refers to a straight red.
ctfc-fan
joes dad wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:

Not according to them. Apparently to do with if the player is getting a red card they should play no further part in the game. Based on that it shouldn’t matter if straight or two yellows.
joes dad
Correct, should have said straight red for serious foul play ie no advantage given.
Si Robin
ctfc-fan wrote:
joes dad wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:
Not according to them. Apparently to do with if the player is getting a red card they should play no further part in the game. Based on that it shouldn’t matter if straight or two yellows.
Have spoken to a couple of referee friends (one of whom does the lower leagues in Germany) and they say that the ref was right. A second yellow is a second yellow regardless of whether advantage is played or not. They actually praised the ref for backing up the advantage with the booking.
Robin
The ref in the Pompey V Burton game last week did exactly the same when sending off Jon Joe O'Toole too.
Shade
Twice he booked a player after giving advantage then, because he went back for another foul on Reilly by someone else.

I am 99% sure that the rule that came in a year or two ago was that if a player is booked for a foul and the fouled party is given treatment, he shouldn't have to leave the pitch. Unless they have changed it since. Also, what has happened to the new rule about players being substituted leaving the pitch at the nearest point?
Si Robin
The booked and injured player rule you talk of is correct. As for players going off - it seems to have not been used at all that I can see.
Si Robin
Some final comments on the red card after advantage issue:
Law 12 wrote:
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick, unless the player committed a more serious offence.
If I remember correctly, we had a shot on goal just after the free-kick and got a corner. So the referee did the right thing.
Shade
Regarding the rule about players leaving the pitch at the nearest point, I've just seen that Leeds' Patrick Bamford was subbed at Millwall on Saturday and had to walk along the touchline in front of the home fans and was spat at, as well as no doubt getting a load of abuse. Referees have now been told to use common sense regarding the rule.

So the rule is still there, just not being applied by refs at all in League 2, it seems.
asl
There's a clip on the BBC sport pages of a Glentoran player getting a second yellow for not leaving the pitch where the ref indicated when he was subbed. Obviously, that meant the substitute couldn't come on.

Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49960000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Regarding the rule about players leaving the pitch at the nearest point, I've just seen that Leeds' Patrick Bamford was subbed at Millwall on Saturday and had to walk along the touchline in front of the home fans and was spat at, as well as no doubt getting a load of abuse. Referees have now been told to use common sense regarding the rule.

So the rule is still there, just not being applied by refs at all in League 2, it seems.
The better option would be to identify the scummers in the crowd and arrest them.
Shade
The New Den would be empty every game.
Shade
asl wrote:There's a clip on the BBC sport pages of a Glentoran player getting a second yellow for not leaving the pitch where the ref indicated when he was subbed. Obviously, that meant the substitute couldn't come on.

Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49960000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sure I'd be pissed off if that happened to a Cheltenham player, but mainly at the player for not just taking 5 seconds to turn around, speak to the ref and then head back the opposite direction