Cheltenham Town v Newport County AFC

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Leasing.com team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/vNewportCountyAFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
darreno
Where's Broom?
Artemis
Rested I imagine. Along with Reilly and Varney...and Thomas.
Hubert Parry
Sounds like a ridiculous game and reinforces the view that the competition is a waste of everyone's time
Alf
I’ve seen us defend better.
Nesty
MD not a happy bunny
Ben3
Concentrate on the league
Chris FGR
Yep, who cares about this s#!t cup anyway. ;)

Can't believe anyone takes it seriously.
Benctfc
Certeinly an entertaining match some very sloppy goals given away mixed in with some great finishing by Newport to be fair. No one really pressed a claim to break into the first team of those who have been out of the team this season. The hardest area to pick at the moment is the midfield with a few players performance levels dropping recently. Sheaf is good enough but can he and Broom both fit into a 3 man midfield? I wouldn't be against pushing Sheaf up top to play off Varney until Reid is fully fit.
art vandalay
I certainly wouldn‘t play Thomas and Ince in the same midfield as they don‘t offer enough pace - Ince was badly exposed this evening. Thomas at least has proven to be pretty consistent, even if he‘s not necessarily everyone’s favourite. And I think we can say with some certainly that we’d be looking in the loan market if Flinders gets injured.
everyman
Benctfc wrote:Certeinly an entertaining match some very sloppy goals given away mixed in with some great finishing by Newport to be fair. No one really pressed a claim to break into the first team of those who have been out of the team this season. The hardest area to pick at the moment is the midfield with a few players performance levels dropping recently. Sheaf is good enough but can he and Broom both fit into a 3 man midfield? I wouldn't be against pushing Sheaf up top to play off Varney until Reid is fully fit.
A couple of Newport players showed great positive movement with balance and power,something our midfield will never have.
horlickfanclub
Two wheels off the wagon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Three bad performances and bad results in the last three games, albeit in three competitions of different importance. The next game a must win imo or I fear the rot will set.
Shade
Midfield: Ince deep, Sheaf and Broom ahead. If Broom has dropped off, get Clements in - the quality ball player we need. He has some terrible games but you never know whether he's having a good day or a bad day unless he's on the pitch.
Red Duke
Watched the game on i-follow. I was disappointed with Rohan Ince performance. The game just seem to by-pass him. I was expected him to take control of the midfield but he didn't. He along with the rest of the defence could not cope with the speed of Newport attacks and looked very pedestrian.

Based on what I saw, I would not start with Rohan Ince at Exeter.

Only players to benefit from the game were those that didn't play.
Shade
Ince would have benefitted from the minutes. I don't think the players went out there expecting Newport to put as much effort in. At least, I HOPE that's the reason why 3 of our first choice centre backs conceded 7...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ince looked good against FGR I thought. Helped us wrestle some control.
Red Duke
Shade wrote:Ince would have benefitted from the minutes. I don't think the players went out there expecting Newport to put as much effort in. At least, I HOPE that's the reason why 3 of our first choice centre backs conceded 7...
I think that they expected some shielding from the midfield but that was non-existant.
kora
Just as well they played their reserves, 9 changes from Saturday. Amond would have had double figures against that static defence. We know Ince is a quality player but how long before he starts to prove it, Saturday and last night he looked like a 50 year old Sunday league player. Sadly the only way to get him up to speed is to play him and we may drop a lot of points waiting for it to happen.
Benctfc
Think we should go back to the tried and tested midfield of JDH,Thomas and Broom. We at least then have the likes of Addai,Sheaf and Reid to use from the bench.