Is this the best ever Cheltenham side that can pass the ball

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Best ever? Your thoughts...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Ihearye
Easy one. Yes
Robin
Yes, only side to come close is the Pack/Summers/Penn team that somehow failed to get promoted.
Nesty
I think it must be close to the best squad we have ever had
Robin
Not too sure about that Nesty, given the squads we had in league one with the likes of Gillespie, Keogh, Wilson, McCann etc in them. We've made great progress this year but worth reminding ourselves that we've achieved absolutely nothing yet and still possible that we end up missing out even on the top seven.
Artemis
If our budget is in the bottom three or four in the division, then relative to that, this is some squad. The best? I reserve judgement until at least the end of this season.
Its certainly some of the best passing I've seen in in CTFC colours. The passes for the 1st and second goals yesterday was accurate, fast & incisive. On many occasions - not just the goals - the passing opened up a decent L2 defence.
Robin
The quote from Andy Wilcox said our budget was in the bottom four or five (hard to grasp how it's so low given it was eleventh last year), presumably only better than Morecambe, Macclesfield, Crawley/Stevenage. Although I've seen Carlisle state their budget is in the bottom five too.

Current lowest attendances in league two:
16 Cheltenham Town 3,469
17 Oldham Athletic 3,432
18 Scunthorpe United 3,412
19 Salford City 3,041
20 Stevenage 2,753
21 Forest Green Rovers 2,628
22 Morecambe 2,357
23 Crawley Town 2,243
24 Macclesfield Town 2,047

What surprises me is clubs like Mansfield and Newport who have historically (over the last twenty years had very similar or even lower attendances than us both averaging over 4000 despite neither challenging for promotion). It feels like we need another season or two of performing at this level to get our crowd average back around 4000.
longmover
Newport and Mansfield both historic league clubs, i would expect them to always have bigger attendances than us
Artemis
As has been pointed out many times no doubt, playing budget is not entirely based on bums on seats and feet on terraces.
Non-match day income from things like stadium use, sponsorship and direct "investment" also contribute - in some cases, clearly significantly. Some clubs will choose to operate at a loss. Again, sometimes significant ones.
We don't. Thankfully.
Ben3
Haha I’ve got to laugh at this thread. Not because it’s wrong - the side do certainly play attractive football. It’s just that two weeks ago people were moaning about all our draws!!!! Now it’s the best team ever :lol:

Could it be that in December we played better teams, or were away, or didn’t have any strikers? And Walsall and Oldham at home with a two strikers means we win handsomely?

I am pleased the site is coming round to my way of thinking, but I dread to think what’ll be posted if lose to Crewe. Worst squad ever? :shock: :?:
Hubert Parry
I'm pretty sure that forest green claim to have a bottom five budget as well. I'm not sure how teams know how much budget others have so it could be purely speculation.
asl
Wasn't it Education Secretary Michael Gove who said he wanted all schools to be rated "above average"...? Perhaps *every* club bar FGR are in the bottom five?

Or could it just be that some folks are, y'know, simply guessing...?
Robin
longmover wrote:Newport and Mansfield both historic league clubs, i would expect them to always have bigger attendances than us
Except over the last twenty years that isn't the case. Mansfields attendances have tracked fairly similar to ours (probably diverged a bit over the last 3-4), Newport pretty consistently lower crowds than ourselves.
Nesty
Robin wrote:Not too sure about that Nesty, given the squads we had in league one with the likes of Gillespie, Keogh, Wilson, McCann etc in them. We've made great progress this year but worth reminding ourselves that we've achieved absolutely nothing yet and still possible that we end up missing out even on the top seven.
best SQUAD in terms of cover. We may have had better TEAMS.
drgm
Any chairman would say that their budget was lower than it really was. They'd be bonkers to say
anything different.
Nesty
the other thing that is evident (and the BBC RG commentators used the word "seamless" is that we get an injury or want to make a tactical substitution , by an large the new player simply swaps in.
Robin
Nesty wrote:
Robin wrote:Not too sure about that Nesty, given the squads we had in league one with the likes of Gillespie, Keogh, Wilson, McCann etc in them. We've made great progress this year but worth reminding ourselves that we've achieved absolutely nothing yet and still possible that we end up missing out even on the top seven.
best SQUAD in terms of cover. We may have had better TEAMS.
Broadly agree although our forward line could potentially do with strengthening still. Varney/Reid both good strikers but unfit too often, May decent, Addai great impact players but the other three I'm not convinced on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The quote from Andy Wilcox said our budget was in the bottom four or five (hard to grasp how it's so low given it was eleventh last year), presumably only better than Morecambe, Macclesfield, Crawley/Stevenage. Although I've seen Carlisle state their budget is in the bottom five too.

16 Cheltenham Town 3,469
17 Oldham Athletic 3,432
19 Salford City 3,041
20 Stevenage 2,753
22 Morecambe 2,357
23 Crawley Town 2,243

What surprises me is clubs like Mansfield and Newport who have historically (over the last twenty years had very similar or even lower attendances than us both averaging over 4000 despite neither challenging for promotion). It feels like we need another season or two of performing at this level to get our crowd average back around 4000.

Did AW say it was 11th last year or is that one of your invented numbers? Let’s take Andy’s words at face value here and accept our budget is bottom three or four.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:the other thing that is evident (and the BBC RG commentators used the word "seamless" is that we get an injury or want to make a tactical substitution , by an large the new player simply swaps in.
Like the current Liverpool squad.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:The quote from Andy Wilcox said our budget was in the bottom four or five (hard to grasp how it's so low given it was eleventh last year), presumably only better than Morecambe, Macclesfield, Crawley/Stevenage. Although I've seen Carlisle state their budget is in the bottom five too.

16 Cheltenham Town 3,469
17 Oldham Athletic 3,432
19 Salford City 3,041
20 Stevenage 2,753
22 Morecambe 2,357
23 Crawley Town 2,243

Did AW say it was 11th last year or is that one of your invented numbers? Let’s take Andy’s words at face value here and accept our budget is bottom three or four.
Jon Palmer did. But please do provide me with an example of my "invented numbers" I could do with a good laugh.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

16 Cheltenham Town 3,469
17 Oldham Athletic 3,432
19 Salford City 3,041
20 Stevenage 2,753
22 Morecambe 2,357
23 Crawley Town 2,243

Jon Palmer did. But please do provide me with an example of my "invented numbers" I could do with a good laugh.
Plenty on this website if you trawl through the last ten years of posting:

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
Is any chairman really going to say in Jan "hey we've got a big budget for players". Auto inflates any price we want to get a player in for
Shade
Going back to the reason for the thread - it is a good passing team but not yet the best. Walsall got their tactics completely wrong against us on Saturday. Since the FGR game we've seen most teams come and press us, not giving our centre backs as much time on the ball and forcing them into mistakes that cost us goals. Walsall sat back, allowing them to find the passes into the midfield and forwards.
Malabus
Shade wrote:Going back to the reason for the thread - it is a good passing team but not yet the best. Walsall got their tactics completely wrong against us on Saturday. Since the FGR game we've seen most teams come and press us, not giving our centre backs as much time on the ball and forcing them into mistakes that cost us goals. Walsall sat back, allowing them to find the passes into the midfield and forwards.
Good point.