THE FOOL ON THE HILL ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
Day after day alone on the hill,the man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still,but nobody wants to know him they can see he`s just a fool,the man of a thousand curses swearing perfectly loud but nobody ever hears him or the sound he appears to make and nobody seems to like him or care what he wants to do,for him the suns going down and the eyes in his head see his world spinning round.
With thank`s to Lennon@McCartney for the inspiration.
paperboy
...as always MC's interview was worth the wait.

Seems as if Bob Hunt isn't allowed /doesn't wish to interview him and it's their own media manager who poses the questions now.

HE wouldn't have missed that penalty and HE will now nominate the penalty taker AND tell them how to take it and WHERE to place it.
That's great news because now when they miss a penalty it will be MC's fault and not the penalty taker.

In fairness it's worth seeing Maccs winning goal as it was an absolute worldy.
Ben3
What puzzles me is their transfer policy. I know they've got money to burn and so buying players becomes an end in itself, but the players they've bought and loaned recently are all very odd. A bit like Dawson - he was never going to improve their squad they just bought him because they could.

I think mc will go at the end of the season and can't see to many of their fans shedding tears over that. They'll probably approach duff (who'll have too much class to go) and then it'll either be some big name Charlie or some no-hoper to keep them down until the new stadium appears
Ralph
Really lame questions. Nothing the fans want to hear. All we got was him saying his players have no pride and that they should have scored 4 or 5.
ctfc-fan
Funny hearing the repeated commentary after the game and Bob Hunt saying Winchester is a ‘goal machine’ yet BBC and the PA report says ‘only his (Winchester’s) second goal of the season.

Given we’re half way through the season I wouldn’t exactly call him that....
Horteng
ctfc-fan wrote:Funny hearing the repeated commentary after the game and Bob Hunt saying Winchester is a ‘goal machine’ yet BBC and the PA report says ‘only his (Winchester’s) second goal of the season.

Given we’re half way through the season I wouldn’t exactly call him that....
Lol sums up the clown that is Bob Hunt. The bloke really hasn’t got a clue to the point where listening to him is cringeworthy
theidlerich
I rarely hear BH's commentaries as very poor radio reception in the Cotswold mountains. However he does a stint in a small tent at the Chelt cricket festival during the intervals, usually with player guests or the opposing teams radio commentator. He is jokey and presentable, but, in my humble opinion, with little insight or knowledge of the game. Pity more different potential commentators are given a chance to press.
everyman
theidlerich wrote:I rarely hear BH's commentaries as very poor radio reception in the Cotswold mountains. However he does a stint in a small tent at the Chelt cricket festival during the intervals, usually with player guests or the opposing teams radio commentator. He is jokey and presentable, but, in my humble opinion, with little insight or knowledge of the game. Pity more different potential commentators are given a chance to press.
I`m sure he`s the original "Bob Fleming" from the Fast Show ?
Shade
Having also listened to Bob Hunt's cricket commentaries, where he's very very often corrected by a much more knowledgable commentator from whichever county Glos are playing, I think he has just got his jobs through being affable.
Ralph
Losing 1-4 at home to Carlisle. It's starting to go wrong for them
drgm
Totally tinpot
1540 fans there and Carlisle brought 97 of those
Robin
drgm wrote:Totally tinpot
They had 1800 home fans on several occasions this season so it's no surprise. Also worth considering their fan base was about 800 until the last few years.
Hubert Parry
That's numberwang
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
At least the Pennock they had in charge before couldn’t help being unlikeable. Cooper tries his best to be so.
everyman
drgm wrote:Totally tinpot
But Vince can save a forest by only needing a few wooden railway sleepers for the new ground !
Shade
You just know they'll sack him, pay big for some manager who shouldn't be at this level, have a bounce and beat us on 28th March.
King giraffe iii
Sorry Shade, I just don't see that happening. Money is also finite at FGR these days. The days of the money pit are gone.
Chris FGR
King giraffe iii wrote:Sorry Shade, I just don't see that happening. Money is also finite at FGR these days. The days of the money pit are gone.
Very true, you can tell that just by looking at the 'quality' of our signings, most of which seem to be loans anyway.

Basically our squad is no where near good enough, nor are our facilities. We'd be whipping boys in League 1. Where we are is about right, at best. Not sure many realistic appointments would do a whole lot better, plus they'd have to work with our director of football who actually has very few qualifications to be in such a role. As is showing by our recent recruitment.

Overall it's not Cooper's results that are the biggest problem imo, it's his toxic relationship with fans. Sacking him would probably improve the mood with some, although tbh the issues between the regime and fan base run a lot deeper then that now. Not sure where this club is going, but whoever the manager is a lot of longer term fans are and will be drifting away, especially when/if we move to that vanity project by the M5.
longmover
Colin Calderwood is available
Red Duke
Chris FGR wrote: our director of football who actually has very few qualifications to be in such a role. As is showing by our recent recruitment.
Why on earth would a club of FGR's size need a "Director of Football"? Is Mark Cooper really only the team coach and not the Manager?
horlickfanclub
He might try giving Kevin Dawson a game.
Ralph
Red Duke wrote:
Chris FGR wrote: our director of football who actually has very few qualifications to be in such a role. As is showing by our recent recruitment.
Why on earth would a club of FGR's size need a "Director of Football"? Is Mark Cooper really only the team coach and not the Manager?
Theres more than one person in high up positions at FGR that have zero qualifications to be there. Just DV giving jobs to his mates and family.
paperboy
Chris FGR wrote:
King giraffe iii wrote:Sorry Shade, I just don't see that happening. Money is also finite at FGR these days. The days of the money pit are gone.
Very true, you can tell that just by looking at the 'quality' of our signings, most of which seem to be loans anyway.

Basically our squad is no where near good enough, nor are our facilities. We'd be whipping boys in League 1. Where we are is about right, at best. Not sure many realistic appointments would do a whole lot better, plus they'd have to work with our director of football who actually has very few qualifications to be in such a role. As is showing by our recent recruitment.

Overall it's not Cooper's results that are the biggest problem imo, it's his toxic relationship with fans. Sacking him would probably improve the mood with some, although tbh the issues between the regime and fan base run a lot deeper then that now. Not sure where this club is going, but whoever the manager is a lot of longer term fans are and will be drifting away, especially when/if we move to that vanity project by the M5.
Will the new stadium ever be built?
I just get the feeling that Mr Vince will become disillusioned and simply walk away if FGR don't get promoted this season.
Horteng
Always knew the FGR story would end in tears. This is just the beginning I believe...………

Cooper's attitude is awful. He's shown a whole new of arrogance. Everything about the club is tin pot
Ihearye
It is always sad to see supporters of a club, live through the realisation that the person on charge is either a) not up to the job b) past his sell by date and c) does not value the support of the fan base.
God knows, we have had a few that fit into any of those options. However, put that together with a nutjob of an owner and the problem is multiplied. It is a pipedream to think that by moving to the M5, he will attract supporters from other clubs. At this level of football, that does not happen
Robin
Chris FGR wrote:

I said back in teh summer to OTC that it was obvious given your recruitment that a cost cutting exercise was being undertaken. Question is this due to a new strategy (i.e. sign youngsters/non-league players to make money selling them), funds going towards a new stadium or Vince losing interest.

Even with your cost cutting though it's clear you are still living well beyond your means, compare your squad and similar sized clubs like Macclesfield and Morecambe for example. Without Vince you'd never survive at this level.
Ben3
As I've said before - it's all really sad. FGR should be everyone's second team, a plucky little village team punching above their weight and pushing a positive, environmental message.

Instead the club is marked apart by the hatred inside the club. Fans, manager, message boards, chairman, players - they all completely hate each other. And then they try to engender hatred from other teams by deliberately and consistently treating them diabolically. Whether that's not wearing a tie or taking pleasure in giving away fans poor facilities.

It's pathological and very hard to understand. I could guess that blame starts at the person at the top creating a culture of anger and hatred.

If I was one of heir fans I would answer the (aggressive!) question, "What so you want to go back to non league?" With a resounding YES
Ihearye
At least he has a nice big EU flag he can flog off on ebay :)
Si Robin
I think the cries of "it all ends in tears" at FGR are somewhat premature. They're still only 9th in the league (one place and one point behind us, and some still think we can push for automatic promotion). They've just received planning permission for their new ground - albeit this is under a legal review - and if Vince gets this he's going nowhere fast.

There seems to be some opinion that Vince is getting bored of it and I actually think the evidence says otherwise. He will remain with FGR until they are no longer a good advertising tool for his business. He wants his eco-park and the stadium is simply a precursor to getting it. Unless something happens to Ecotricity (EU subsidies may be an issue here) or the planning decision gets reversed, he's going nowhere.

As for Cooper - he's clearly a deeply unpleasant person and the longer he stays, the better for us in my view.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:

I said back in teh summer to OTC that it was obvious given your recruitment that a cost cutting exercise was being undertaken. Question is this due to a new strategy (i.e. sign youngsters/non-league players to make money selling them), funds going towards a new stadium or Vince losing interest.

Even with your cost cutting though it's clear you are still living well beyond your means, compare your squad and similar sized clubs like Macclesfield and Morecambe for example. Without Vince you'd never survive at this level.
Some of it must be FFP rules. There are so many loopholes and circumventions DV can find to put money into the club.

That said, look at how much money DV wasted on being the Labour Party’s biggest donor - maybe he is finding other things to spend on rather than the football club.
Shade
Or as mentioned, he's worried about having a Tory government in charge of a country coming out of the EU. Two things that mean his business won't do as well? Won't pretend I know the ins and outs but he wanted Labour and the EU, so that's a double hit that I would assume he thinks will cost him.

Although, I would have thought that in his business it shouldn't affect him at all, if it's being run correctly...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Or as mentioned, he's worried about having a Tory government in charge of a country coming out of the EU. Two things that mean his business won't do as well? Won't pretend I know the ins and outs but he wanted Labour and the EU, so that's a double hit that I would assume he thinks will cost him.

Although, I would have thought that in his business it shouldn't affect him at all, if it's being run correctly...
His main issue is the Conservatives banned onshore wind farm building years ago with no intention of changing the law, and Ecotricity’s growth was powered by them building their own wind farms. I don’t believe they build offshore, which means they have to buy electricity from the big firms who generate offshore rather than supplying their customers with their own power.

The U.K. also imports a lot of electricity from France where hydro is a big generator so Ecotricity probably buys some of that as well. Brexit uncertainty over this issue not resolved.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FGR accounts filing notification came through this week, reporting full accounts for FY ending 04/19.

They reported a loss of £796,955, as stated in last para of p2: https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/docu ... e62ec57c82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blaming it on the Doidge sale collapse. Aka spending the money you get from eggs the hen hasn’t even laid yet.
Ben3
Lost at home to Walsall despite vince spaffing £800k up a wall...

You couldn't make it up

Circus on the hill
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
From the FGR twitter feed:

“Tonight's match attendance is 1,682, with 215 making the trip from Port Vale”