Cheltenham Town v Grimsby Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/GrimsbyTownH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steveinblack
Sounds like the bonfire burning twit is back his antics.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great diving save from their central defender. Two solid hands on it to palm on to the post.
Nesty
Great refereeing
Shade
Bloody knew this was coming as soon as that blatant penalty and red card didn't happen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who was it who said we never look secure at the back with Boyle on the ball? A load of Cobblers once again.
Ihearye
Boyle strikes once again. One disaster after another
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Who was it who said we never look secure at the back with Boyle on the ball? A load of Cobblers once again.
whose man was it that got free? Boyle was stood watching him. If Keeper had not slowed the man uo Boyle would have been nowhere near him
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Who was it who said we never look secure at the back with Boyle on the ball? A load of Cobblers once again.
whose man was it that got free? Boyle was stood watching him. If Keeper had not slowed the man uo Boyle would have been nowhere near him
Yup. My word. Another escape.
Shade
Jesus Christ...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A half to forget. Write that off and win the second half.
GrahamPC
Cracking match.
Should be at least 2-2. The alleged handball should have been a penalty. Grimsby's two goals were fantastic.
A decent £10 spent streaming game.
Huw Jarse
Very watchable. One clear cut pen and red card missed, one unfortunate gk error. Enjoying the clash of different styles. COYR 2nd half

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Shade
We can still win this. Just need to be tighter in position.
Malabus
Awful. Pathetic even.
Shade
Pete Matthews keeps saying Bonds has been great. He hasn't found a single pass all night. Tackling has been good but that is it.
Shade
As I say that Bonds produces a 60 yard diagonal to May.
Hubert Parry
Such a frustrating match to watch.
Malabus
Elliot Bonds is not football league player.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Elliot Bonds is not football league player.
I thought he was our best player in the first half, even best midfielder on the pitch in that half.
Shade
Thomas and Bonds are a National league midfield partnership at best. Both want to go backwards all the time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
McKeown has had a good game for once. I guess no crowd to get on his back. We should have got Danny Wright on a one game loan to sort him out.
longmover
ooohhh a chance to go top and guess what? Blown it

still can't get use to these BIG games can we.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Awful night.

Do Sang and Azaz have Covid? Our lack of energy looks like the rest of the players do too...
Nham68
Carbon copy of Northampton game.
We didn’t appear to want it .
Didn’t look cohesive.
Calamitous mistakes .
Poor up front apart from Williams.
Subs didn’t affect the game.
Bullied of every ball.
Just c!#p today.

Better to have wobbles now ..

Credit to Mariners. By far and away the better team.. and had the luck of the handball on the line .
GrahamPC
Unbelievable, un-bl##dy believable.
Unlucky to be behind at half time but doing enough to draw level and then pinch all the points.
Second half nothing until final moments of game.
Last edited by GrahamPC on 13 Oct 2020, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Hubert Parry
Too many bad days at the office.

With a young goalkeeper, mistakes can be expected and we are just going to have to deal with those every now and again. Unfortunately, we failed to do so tonight. Very few had good games and part of me wonders whether it was a partnership of Thomas and Bonds which just didn't click and led to the game plan falling apart.

A couple of fundamental concerns:

- We appear to struggle against direct teams with pace up front. They have a tendency to force mistakes from our back line.
- We do not appear to have mastered a Plan B - we struggled to provide support or pick out passes with as much fluidity with the change in shape. Frankly, when we chased the game in the last ten, few appeared to have a clue as to what they were supposed to do.
- Our usual shape is often stifled when the opposition man mark our wingers. When this happens, you need creativity in the middle of the pitch - Sercombe having a more advanced position was a problem in this respect, as Thomas and Bonds struggled to get a foothold with their passing.

Grimsby deserved the win - they played reasonably well and looked a threat throughout (I was particularly impressed with Edwards). I think they will be in and around the playoffs.

Another wake up call. No need to panic, we will lose a few more this season and perhaps in games where a loss is unexpected. However, I do think teams will become wise to our weaknesses so we need some creative thinking to adjust our plan if that plan is not working.
Shade
We only conceded 3 goals in a League 2 game once all last season - Northampton play-off 2nd leg. MD got some work to do on what happens if teams press us hard. Our defence and keeper want all the time in the world to play it out.

And the third goal ruined my score prediction. b#!#%#d night.

Would have all been different if their defender got deservedly sent off and they had to replace one of their attackers.
Last edited by Shade on 13 Oct 2020, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Malabus
RCS "Best player in the first half"...I don't know which game you and the commentators were watching. He wouldnt get a game at Gloucester reserves.

Sent from my F104Bv2_PRO using Tapatalk
CTFCfan99
So many things wrong with that game but you can't win against an incompetent referee and when you essentially score three own goals. Made all the worse by having to listen to Halliwell and Matthews droning on for 90 minutes.
Shade
Bonds played well in pre season when paired with Clements. He could win the ball and lay it off to Clements who would find a good pass. He can't do the same with Thomas. Neither of them can find a man twice in a row.
GrahamPC
I missed it at the time but the Grimsby fans are less than happy with Tozer, claiming he stamped on one of their players.
Replay seems to support their case.
Malabus
Shade wrote:Bonds played well in pre season when paired with Clements. He could win the ball and lay it off to Clements who would find a good pass. He can't do the same with Thomas. Neither of them can find a man twice in a row.
We will win jackshit with him in the side. Backwards backwards everytime. A pathetic performance

Sent from my F104Bv2_PRO using Tapatalk
Hubert Parry
GrahamPC wrote:I missed it at the time but the Grimsby fans are less than happy with Tozer, claiming he stamped on one of their players.
I have not seen it but surely we can't have done this again!?
Si Robin
GrahamPC wrote:I missed it at the time but the Grimsby fans are less than happy with Tozer, claiming he stamped on one of their players.
It doesn't seem to support it - it's as clear a stamp as you'll ever see.

Tozer will be getting a 3 game ban, no doubt about that. A very silly and naive thing to do.