Keep the faith

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

triggo
Well having seen all the top teams, not sure there is any lot better than us.
Im thinking barring injuries we have a great chance for automatic.
Even Champions !
Johnsons Red Army
Finally some optimism around here!

Still only 4 points off the top with a game in hand (yes, some others above us have more games in hand, I know), so still in with a great chance.
pas
Have got tired of so many negative posts lately and I agree we’ve got a great chance to win this league !
CTFCfan99
Have to say I've been pretty negative recently, but I'm feeling more optimistic today. Fact is we have the same number of points as we did after 23 games last season, and we had a 'rough' patch around the same time last year as well. We went on a run last year that could've sent us up before Covid hit, we can do it again this year - and the competition is nowhere near as tough. There's no Plymouth, Swindon or Crewe who were far better than any of this year's teams. We're not losing a lot of games, we just need to convert these draws into wins and one or two quality additions (plus Sercombe back in a few weeks) could be the key to that. The City game is a free hit and the chance to play without any pressure, and we can kick on after that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We are still up there and we are not losing many or conceding many. If we were losing 2-0 or 3-1 each week I would be more worried.

We are down to the bare bones and still competing.

A couple of signings this month, Hussey and Long getting back to full fitness and we are well set for the next two months.

As long as we stay in the top 3 battle until Sercombe is back, we are going up. A few games in November he was really looking too good for this division.
Ihearye
Worry is that OK we may be keeping in touch, but the number keeping in touch is growing as we continue to drop points. Would be nice in the run in just to have to look in one direction instead of looking over our shoulder as well
Shade
It's been said, but it probably will all come down to who gets who on their books this month that allows them to be more consistent.

It's also been said, not just by our own fans, that on our day (which has been a lot of match days) we are the best team in this division this season. We just need them goals. It is quite tiresome. We just need the goals. The goals. We just need to take a small number of our chances. Score some goals. Etc.
triggo
My point being..
Carlisle, Salford, Exeter and Newport have all looked second best against us.
I share the frustration lately but over a season it usually works out.
We may need one midfield bod and a lump up front to hold the ball for Alfie to play off , but we,re not far off.
Still glass half full here
triggo
Also add Forest Green to that group.
So the question is.... who is better than Chelts ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Worry is that OK we may be keeping in touch, but the number keeping in touch is growing as we continue to drop points. Would be nice in the run in just to have to look in one direction instead of looking over our shoulder as well
I don’t care if there are four teams in contention for top three for nine teams. If we are in that group when Sercombe returns we are going up.

Even if there are nine battling for top three, we can still choose to look up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
triggo wrote:Also add Forest Green to that group.
So the question is.... who is better than Chelts ?
No one, based on we have seen so far.
Nesty
I agree - despite what has been, for us, a poor run (TUESDAYS !! ARGGGHH) we are still very much in the mix.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Worry is that OK we may be keeping in touch, but the number keeping in touch is growing as we continue to drop points. Would be nice in the run in just to have to look in one direction instead of looking over our shoulder as well
I don’t care if there are four teams in contention for top three for nine teams. If we are in that group when Sercombe returns we are going up.

Even if there are nine battling for top three, we can still choose to look up.
Not so sure that Sercombe is the answer between us scoring goals and not scoring goals. Which since Exeter has been our problem. The concern is that if we keep gifting points, there may be 6 or 7 or more teams battling for the top 3 places. You may choose to look whichever way you lose. However, big difference in dropping points and looking to see which of the other 3 dropped points, so as to mitigate our losses. As opposed to looking to see which of the other 7 or 8 have also dropped points. I think our chances are better if we only need 3 other results to go our way and not 9 other results. Sercombe or no Sercombe