League 1

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RobinHood
Just thought it might be of interest to have a look at some of the teams from our last season in League 1 (2008-09) and see how times have changed since then. Here's a few noteworthy teams from that season of the Martin Allen disasterclass.

Leicester City - Now one of the best teams in the country and won the Premier League of course in 2016.

Leeds United - Now in the Premier League and looking like they will be staying there for the foreseeable future.

Huddersfield - Also been in the Premier League since.

Brighton - Moved to a new stadium and now an established Oremier League team.

Hereford Utd - Relegated in 2012 and then liquidated a few years later. Now reformed and battling it out with Gloucester in the Conference North.

Hartlepool Utd, Stockport and Yeovil all sionce been relegated to non-league. Southend Utd about to join them.

Also we did have a player from our team who is now in the Premier League...
Robin
Yes the lad we had from Reading who is now playing for West Ham and doing well, I remember at the time some thought he was bambi on ice, including a radio Glos commentator.

League one is littered with a handful of genuinely big clubs who have fallen on tough times and a similar amount of small former non-league clubs, a real odd mix.
Si Robin
Michail Antonio?
Robin
That's him Si, came with another lad who played upfront Nick Bignall I think his name was.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Scunthorpe were promoted from L1 to the Championship that season in the play offs and now a poor L2 side.

Remarkably, it looks likely that only MK Dons and Crewe were in L1 in 2008/09 and will be again in 2021/22 - assuming Peterborough are getting promoted this season.

In fact, of 21 teams who were in L1 in 2008/09 but won’t be in 2021/22, six are currently in a higher division, and 15 are in a lower division.
RobinHood
Robin wrote:That's him Si, came with another lad who played upfront Nick Bignall I think his name was.
There are currently 4 players from that season still playing professional football - can you guess them? The rest are either retired or playing semi-professionally in the lower leagues.
Si Robin
Scott Brown is one, along with the aforementioned Antonio.

Marley Watkins is at Bristol City and, arguably the most surprising of all, Yuri Berchiche who, when I last looked, was at PSG.

EDIT - Just checked and Berchiche is now at Athletic Bilbao