New player rumours 21/22

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
Three rumours so far. Will this page fill up?
Broom, McFadden, Bowman.
Robin
Who is McFadden? Bowman was linked in January so would not be new rumour, wonder if we will go back?
Shade
MD has admitted that he likes him, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise.
horlickfanclub
Brain fog- McAlmont. Apologies
itsallbollox
Would anyone like J Matt up front for us next season if he's going to be available, and fit looked a bit sluggish last night. but asking that question ex FGR players we've had haven't been to successful.
little mo
itsallbollox wrote:Would anyone like J Matt up front for us next season if he's going to be available, and fit looked a bit sluggish last night. but asking that question ex FGR players we've had haven't been to successful.
No thanks. Would take Sheehan from Newport though if they don't go up. He was real quality in both games.
theidlerich
Surely better to check out players from the heady heights of championship clubs that are /have been released rather than Lg2????
Shade
theidlerich wrote:Surely better to check out players from the heady heights of championship clubs that are /have been released rather than Lg2????
It's what MD did last season, picking up the likes of Blair and Sercombe who dropped down, rather than going for players from the league below.

All the loans, May, Raglan...I think everyone MD has signed has dropped down.
HamTown
theidlerich wrote:Surely better to check out players from the heady heights of championship clubs that are /have been released rather than Lg2????
Curious to see if Bristol City had any released players that caught the eye and there's a Marley Watkins who did great for Barnsley in League One...probably wouldn't fit in our team nor budget but interesting to see where he ends up
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sone Aluko and Sam Baldock have both been released by Reading.
horlickfanclub
Add Jake Doyle-Hayes to the "we are interested " rumour list. Kyle Lafferty is out of contract.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Add Jake Doyle-Hayes to the "we are interested " rumour list. Kyle Lafferty is out of contract.
Seems JDH’s agent is someone we should not be dealing with. Shame.
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Add Jake Doyle-Hayes to the "we are interested " rumour list. Kyle Lafferty is out of contract.
and why is that?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
and why is that?
His agent is playing games with St Mirren having already played games with clubs last summer.

Of course agents have to act in their best interests and the interests of the player but some take it too far.

If he did sign then I suspect his agent would be agitating for the next move from day one, which would disrupt the club due to being contrary to the culture Duff instills in the dressing room and on the pitch.
asl
horlickfanclub wrote:Kyle Lafferty is out of contract.
Relegated from the Scottish Prem at the weekend. RCS would probably suggest that makes him Northern Premier league standard, at best.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Kyle Lafferty is out of contract.
Relegated from the Scottish Prem at the weekend. RCS would probably suggest that makes him Northern Premier league standard, at best.
Lol, nope. SPL and top half Champ is about par with L1.

Interesting to see how well Brian Graham started doing again when he left us and went back to Scottish Champ.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Scrolling through some of the released and retained lists on the BBC.

Swansea is interesting:

“Swansea have also released Barrie McKay, who has spent the last 18 months on loan at Morecambe, and Wales international Declan John, who impressed while on loan at Bolton last season.

Kieron Freeman, who made just one appearance after joining for £100,000 from Swindon in January, and former Real Madrid youngster Jordi Govea have also been given free transfers.”
Uppy
McKay was at Fleetwood not Morecambe. Interesting name though
paperboy
Newport's Josh Sheehan goes to Bolton.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 78727?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Bowman is very likely off to another League 1 club, not us, according to JP. Can't say I have any feelings on that one way or the other! I think I would have felt the same if we had signed him, until I saw him play in League 1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Bowman is very likely off to another League 1 club, not us, according to JP. Can't say I have any feelings on that one way or the other! I think I would have felt the same if we had signed him, until I saw him play in League 1.
I am happy to not sign the Hereford Camel. He made it clear ahead of that cup match that he is no friend of Cheltenham Town. I would have struggled to celebrate any goals he scored for us.
horlickfanclub
McAlmont signs for Morecambe on loan.