At what point do we become worried?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
About the lack of transfer activity?

Unlike most clubs we have not had to have a huge turnover of players, but I think most are agreed that we need to strengthen in some areas in order to be competitive in this league.
horlickfanclub
Sometime in January.
Shade
There's another one supposedly all but signed, and the loans won't come in until later. I'm not worried now, but give it another couple of weeks with no more movement and I might. Might. Probably won't. A little concerned, maybe. From what I can think we need a first choice striker and an attacking midfielder, assuming Blair doesn't assume that position with Long at RWB and a full complement of first choice defenders. If we were to get 5 loans in...do we really need permanent signings?

We need an updated sticky of the squad. Last years is still there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we are in relegation trouble after 15-20 games.
bigdavejambo
1st July is traditionally when the 'main movement' starts as thats the day that the free agents become available and the transfer market hots up. more so this year as funds will be extremely tight at most clubs so will be relying on freebies and loans.
Robin
bigdavejambo wrote:1st July is traditionally when the 'main movement' starts as thats the day that the free agents become available and the transfer market hots up. more so this year as funds will be extremely tight at most clubs so will be relying on freebies and loans.
Take a look at the league one transfers thread there has been a lot of activity across the division only Wimbledon, Lincoln and Rotherham have had less.
Nesty
We need to sign very few players compared to other clubs - and need specific positions - I am confident MD is on the case
Robin
On one side at least we've not lost our better players like Morecambe and Cambridge but we need 2-3 proven quality players to come in an improve the team until those arrive I will reserve judgement on how well we do.
Andy
Maybe some players are not wanting to come to a club that is appearing to be 'unsettled' regarding the chairman situation - which now he has stepped down may help speed things along perhaps?
Malabus
It shows lack of ambition...This club never wanted L1 soccer at WR.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:It shows lack of ambition...This club never wanted L1 soccer at WR.
They only got promoted to p!## you off :lol:
theidlerich
I come back to a point I made earlier - if a team goes up a league they need to re-vitalise at least 1/3rd of the squad. Anything less will guarantee squeaky bum relegation worries!
longmover
I'm pretty sure Duff and his management team know considerably more about football than us on here, not saying what he wants and what he gets is the same but come on people, lets trust the man who won us the championship and got us promoted.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:I'm pretty sure Duff and his management team know considerably more about football than us on here, not saying what he wants and what he gets is the same but come on people, lets trust the man who won us the championship and got us promoted.
Indeed. If Duff thinks we are good enough to do ok I trust him as you say.

Ultimately, Duff will know what the minimum needed in L1 is in terms of fitness (distance covered in a match at what speed, number of sprints, etc) and play (passes needed, chances created, tackles made, etc) and if he thinks the data from our players meets or exceeds those minimums then why waste cash on more signings?
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
longmover wrote:I'm pretty sure Duff and his management team know considerably more about football than us on here, not saying what he wants and what he gets is the same but come on people, lets trust the man who won us the championship and got us promoted.
Indeed. If Duff thinks we are good enough to do ok I trust him as you say.

Ultimately, Duff will know what the minimum needed in L1 is in terms of fitness (distance covered in a match at what speed, number of sprints, etc) and play (passes needed, chances created, tackles made, etc) and if he thinks the data from our players meets or exceeds those minimums then why waste cash on more signings?
He's also played in every professional league which is 'alot' more than his peers in league one and above.
theidlerich
Isn't "goals scored" missing; plus games won ..or this that too simplistic?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Isn't "goals scored" missing; plus games won ..or this that too simplistic?
Those are targets…not metrics by which a player can be signed. I.e. 51 points is a target for staying up. And to achieve 51 points Duff will study data to assess many crosses, sprints, passes, etc are generally needed and sign players with those ‘numbers’ as Duff likes to say.
everyman
Hubert Parry wrote:About the lack of transfer activity?

Unlike most clubs we have not had to have a huge turnover of players, but I think most are agreed that we need to strengthen in some areas in order to be competitive in this league.
I believe you need 3 players of the level above to be sure of mid table safety it not possible given our finances.
Robin
everyman wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:About the lack of transfer activity?

I believe you need 3 players of the level above to be sure of mid table safety it not possible given our finances.

Accrington finished top half last season didn't they :roll: :roll: