Michael Duff on Ben Tozer bid

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
https://bit.ly/DuffOnTozerBid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
Just the starting anchor bid in negotiations. Could be an interesting week.
longmover
so does that mean come with a reasonable bid and we talk? Don't know if we need to read too much into the 'the club don't spend a lot of money' comment :?:
Si Robin
It's exactly what Michael Duff says it is. Every player has a price - even Harry Kane at Spurs has a price - and until Wrexham get close to it, then there's nothing to talk about.
HamTown
5 figures for captain of league one team a week before the close of the transfer window?! Pathetic.
Uppy
Unless it’s a ridiculous amount of money, I firmly believe that Tozer is worth more to the club than whatever bid we receive. Great player and just can’t replace his throw ins
Robin
Sounds to me that we are trying to negotiate a higher fee, but the fact they've offered five figures speaks volumes of how they perceive our current board. It's like Man City offering a £30million opening bid for Harry Kane.

I still maintain the board will sell him, tell us it was a good deal and they had no choice, subsequently sign a couple of young kids on loan towards the end of he window then we find out we got a small six figure fee paid across installments. The usual suspects will rally around the board too. It always happens.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cineworld Cheltenham should refuse to show Free Guy until Ryan Reynolds offers us proper money.
Alf
What’s the current exchange rate difference between the Welsh pound and the English pound…..they’re taking the p!## aren’t they?
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Cineworld Cheltenham should refuse to show Free Guy until Ryan Reynolds offers us proper money.
I was watching Mythic Quest last night and thought "I'm not sure I can watch this if McElhenney steals our captain" :lol:
Nesty
If we sell Tozer for a decent fee - wait for it................ do we throw in the Towel ?
Shade
No, they have to pay extra for the towels, but probably not asking price in the shop.
Andy
£30k and a bath sheet...
Ralph
Andy Wilcox would have told Wrexham to go away and don't come back..
Nesty
its my DRY sense of humour.
Jerry St Clair
Nesty wrote:If we sell Tozer for a decent fee - wait for it................ do we throw in the Towel ?
Duff clearly thinks Wrexham are just offering a load of flannel.
Si Robin
Ralph wrote:Andy Wilcox would have told Wrexham to go away and don't come back..
What a hero - we were so lucky to have him. I wish he'd have my babies.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
Ralph wrote:Andy Wilcox would have told Wrexham to go away and don't come back..
What a hero - we were so lucky to have him. I wish he'd have my babies.
Hubert Parry
Just like he did for Ryan Broom, presumably?
Horteng
Uppy wrote:Unless it’s a ridiculous amount of money, I firmly believe that Tozer is worth more to the club than whatever bid we receive. Great player and just can’t replace his throw ins
Same here. £800k+ then we may talk..........
Si Robin
I do wonder what planet some of you are on.

Ben Tozer is a 31 year old defender in the last year of his deal. No, we don't need to sell, but when we sold a 24 year old playmaker in the last year of their deal for £150k last year (even under the auspices of the wonderful Andy Wilcox), what makes you think we're going to push for much more than that in this deal?
Shade
Broom was s#!t half the time and Tozer holds the defence together and adds a bonus 10 or so goals a year?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I do wonder what planet some of you are on.

Ben Tozer is a 31 year old defender in the last year of his deal. No, we don't need to sell, but when we sold a 24 year old playmaker in the last year of their deal for £150k last year (even under the auspices of the wonderful Andy Wilcox), what makes you think we're going to push for much more than that in this deal?
Ultimately, the value we ascribe to a player is more determined by their value and importance to our team than their individual quality. Is the player a key piece of the puzzle?

Was Broom irreplaceable and a key piece in our puzzle? No…Sercombe and Wright are both a level above. It was better to have the money on offer.

Is Tozer a more important piece of our puzzle and will he be a bigger loss to the way we play, and to the basis and foundation of Duff’s tactics? That is for Duff to assess and to feedback to the Board.

If £100,000 can be used to improve the team so it is better without Tozer than it was with, then we take £100,000. If Duff thinks we need £800,000 to come out of the deal in a better position then we hold out for £800,000. And that money may not even be used on a defender, it might be on a left back of striker.

Personally I would negotiate our own signings first. I.e. we find out what money we need to sign our preferred left back and striker or whatever.

Once those are agreed in principal we go back to Wrexham and say we will only sell Tozer if they pay us enough we can complete our other signings. If Wrexham say it is too much we can tell them to negotiate with the people we are signing if we want to save ourselves that effort.
Shade
The other thing to consider is Wrexham have money now. We all know this. The same way clubs held out for higher offers from us when we first got the Eisa money, we should be doing the same. If they want to buy their way back into the league then why on earth should we be making them pay anything other than well over the odds?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:The other thing to consider is Wrexham have money now. We all know this. The same way clubs held out for higher offers from us when we first got the Eisa money, we should be doing the same. If they want to buy their way back into the league then why on earth should we be making them pay anything other than well over the odds?
Precisely. They should also be paying for us to avoid relegation in L1 as well, if we decide we can achieve that without Tozer.

Your point is why I believe we need to agree our signings in principal first, so that players don’t say “you have the Tozer money so you can pay more”.
Fuller
Another big signing for Wrexham today, not Ben though!

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/2021/ ... coln-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Love it when they use ‘ambition’ instead of ‘wages’.
Fuller
Does the National League's transfer window also shut next Wednesday 31st? Anyone know?

Also wonder if Ben is on the bus on the way to Gillingham?

Commentary and comments could be interesting tonight....
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Love it when they use ‘ambition’ instead of ‘wages’.
"The club's huge ambition is what drew me here, because I have none of my own. It's a good balance"
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Love it when they use ‘ambition’ instead of ‘wages’.
Yes the ambition of dropping to the NL

I wonder is this instead of Tozer or potentially as well as?