Portsmouth keen on defender

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
January bid expected: https://bit.ly/PortsmouthDefender
Admin
Site Administrator
Testing a reply Jon.
Warwickshire Robin
Will Boyle is critical to our chances of staying up. Looking at the results when he has played this season it is clear to see how much we miss him when he isn't available (W5, D4, L2).

Of course the club have a massive decision when January arrives and he becomes available for other teams to buy. Do we cash in and sell and seriously decrease our chances of staying up, or keep him and probably lose him for nothing in the summer? Then if we do sell who do we replace him with?

Huge decisions that will effect the future of our club.
Si Robin
As much as I love Boyle (and he's very much my favourite player in this squad) - his injury record means I think we need to consider cashing in. I definitely would rather have him in the team, but he's only played 9 league games so far this season and he's not played since 16th October. If someone's willing to pay over the odds then let's get someone more reliable in.

For what it's worth - I'll only believe he's gone when he eventually does sign for someone else. Has any other Cheltenham player been so constantly linked with other teams?
Shade
Welcome back to a functioning RNF!

I'm of the same mind. If we can get decent money for Boyle I think we have to take it. It's not like MD has a bad record at bringing decent defenders in. Be sad to see him go but we aren't getting much from him this season and I'd rather have a player with 3/4 of his ability who is fit and available. In an ideal world we could guarantee his fitness and 20 odd games from him for the rest of the season.
HamTown
Can't see us turning down any reasonable offer sadly but at least it gives Duff a chance to refresh the defence
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we cash in then we just have to hope we have enough points or that the current defenders cut the errors.

We have played the worst teams in the division in recent weeks with very little to show for it. It would be a very miserable second half of the season without Boyle.
Si Robin
Yeah - it's been a terrible first half without him
Shade
And let's not go mental just yet because we have had a few bad games. 3 weeks ago everyone was ecstatic we had gone unbeaten in November and lost 1 in 11, or something. We were always going to have 2 or 3 bad individual months throughout the season, some mixed and, hopefully, one or two good ones.
CTFC.Harry
Sell him. Great player, great servant to the club and helped us stay up 3x before playing a big role in our success last season. Will be missed but I wouldn’t begrudge him a move to Pompey and I feel the money would be beneficial IF it’s well invested in extending some current players contracts and sorting out the defence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 16:12 And let's not go mental just yet because we have had a few bad games. 3 weeks ago everyone was ecstatic we had gone unbeaten in November and lost 1 in 11, or something. We were always going to have 2 or 3 bad individual months throughout the season, some mixed and, hopefully, one or two good ones.

Yes, because in that 11 game run we played good teams where a draw was a good result.

Our current blip has been against poor teams. We have a run of tough games coming up where one or draws in the next eight games would be good. In fact, Fleetwood and Wimbledon are the only games in the next 12 where we should be confident of winning. Every other game is against teams above us including all of the top 6.

We may pick up more points than expected but people are frustrated because it is vital to beat the teams below you, especially relegation place teams, to insulate yourself ahead of tough games.

After losing 1 in 11 we could be looking at winning 1 in 11 now and the league table will look quite different.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JP seems to be doing his best to talk the price up in the Portsmouth press:

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ed-3501649