Wade Elliott after the defeat at Accrington Stanley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Horteng
Dear god.

I think Wade is probably a nice guy but where does the inspiration come from
Warwickshire Robin
Something just not adding up to me. Alfie's got 2 weeks off now so why the need to 'manage his minutes' in a crucial potential 6 pointer? Also why no Brown? Guy has scored 2 more goals this season than Norton and Lloyd put together in less minutes? #strange

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Benctfc
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 19:38 Something just not adding up to me. Alfie's got 2 weeks off now so why the need to 'manage his minutes' in a crucial potential 6 pointer? Also why no Brown? Guy has scored 2 more goals this season than Norton and Lloyd put together in less minutes? #strange

Yeah really odd. When you are a team like ourselves who don't have a lot of strength in depth you don't leave your star player on the bench. Especially against teams who are expected to be close rivals in the table. Quarter of the way through the season and already I'm starting to lose enthusiasm. I'm not at the stage of wanting Wade out by any means but if he isn't prepared to change anything around he wont last the season as whatever our current game plan is it isn't working.

We seem to have a plan of sticking in games and hoping to nick a goal through either a piece of brilliance or a ball dropping to us in the box. There doesnt seem to be any structure or patterns of play. He also seems to have a nack of saying some odd things in his interviews. Today he mentioned we didnt match our recent high standards. If that is our high standard I wouldnt want to see our low standard. Also he told the team to expect them to come out like a heavyweight boxer and to absorb pressure. No wonder the players had a poor start what kind of message is that to start a match no wonder we were on the back foot. As mentioned on the other thread also not acknowledging fans especially away from home after a long journey is poor in my opinion.

He seems like a nice guy and I really want him to succeed but I haven't seen anything yet in his words or action on the pitch that instills confidence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 19:38 Something just not adding up to me. Alfie's got 2 weeks off now so why the need to 'manage his minutes' in a crucial potential 6 pointer? Also why no Brown? Guy has scored 2 more goals this season than Norton and Lloyd put together in less minutes? #strange

Wade has previously explained about Brown not being back to the required fitness and strength and it will take time work up to getting regular appearance let alone starts.

And great May has two weeks off, but if, say he had been so overworked he is on the edge of his body breaking then he needs the rest now, not the risk of a full 90 mins causing injury. That’s just one potential reason - there will be other similar ones which could be the reason.

Funny how posters on this forum suddenly get access to the sports science and physio data and become experts in the field as soon as we have a bad result.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 19:01 Dear god.

I think Wade is probably a nice guy but where does the inspiration come from Image
A bit OTT there in my opinion.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

I think Wade is probably a nice guy but where does the inspiration come from Image
Oh come on. Other than using the odd MD saying Wade’s interviews are utterly drab both pre and post match.

Why pre match is done remotely I don’t know. We are the only club post covid still doing it and it’s unprofessional imo.

As I said I hope he does well as it benefits all of us but early signs are not good.
Warwickshire Robin

Wade has previously explained about Brown not being back to the required fitness and strength and it will take time work up to getting regular appearance let alone starts.

And great May has two weeks off, but if, say he had been so overworked he is on the edge of his body breaking then he needs the rest now, not the risk of a full 90 mins causing injury. That’s just one potential reason - there will be other similar ones which could be the reason.

Funny how posters on this forum suddenly get access to the sports science and physio data and become experts in the field as soon as we have a bad result.
Well I obviously don't have access to any science or attend training, all I said was something doesn't add up.

By the time we play on 1st October, assuming he plays no part in the Cup on Tuesday, then Alfie will have basically played for an hour in a month. That to me isn't managing minutes.

With Brown, if he isn't fit enough for the bench after 10 games into the season then what is he doing being a pro footballer? He also isn't going to get match fit sat in the stand either?!

Again, not saying that what Wade is saying isnt the truth, it just all sounds a bit strange to me?

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 06:46

Well I obviously don't have access to any science or attend training, all I said was something doesn't add up.

By the time we play on 1st October, assuming he plays no part in the Cup on Tuesday, then Alfie will have basically played for an hour in a month. That to me isn't managing minutes.

With Brown, if he isn't fit enough for the bench after 10 games into the season then what is he doing being a pro footballer? He also isn't going to get match fit sat in the stand either?!

Again, not saying that what Wade is saying isnt the truth, it just all sounds a bit strange to me?

Seems strange and funny to you, who doesn’t have access to the sports science and physio data. But the sports science and physio professionals at the club who do have the data to inform decisions and work with the players every day think it is the right decision. With all due respect, I know who I would trust more.

Re Managing May’s minutes: for all we know, the physio team have told Wade that to get back on schedule for the number of minutes May is programmed to play this season he can only play an hour or so in September, or has a certain number of minutes left until Christmas so Wade has opted to save some now. Whatever the case, I am of the view there will be a technical explanation rather than “something strange.”

Re Brown: it is not just about getting fit, he also has to be recovered from his injury. Again, we don’t know but physios do but maybe the injured part of his body is limiting his ability to get fit. Eg the only way he can get his VO2 max up to the required level is do lots of training at a high threshold level. But if his leg can’t sustain the level of fitness training required to get fit enough then that’s that. He’ll also have to be able to run fast enough with his natural stride pattern and if the injured muscle is still not letting him do that he can’t train properly. Maybe after his last two appearances his leg is proving it is not up to strength yet and to play more would be to risk more injury. Again, these are just possibilities as we aren’t in the physio room every day but it is more likely to be a decision due to things like this than some conspiracy theory about strange goings on behind the scenes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 02:49

Oh come on. Other than using the odd MD saying Wade’s interviews are utterly drab both pre and post match.

Why pre match is done remotely I don’t know. We are the only club post covid still doing it and it’s unprofessional imo.

As I said I hope he does well as it benefits all of us but early signs are not good.
I don’t find them drab at all. I think they are articulate and informative.

Have you genuinely watched every pre-match interview at every professional club this season to know we are the only club still doing it?
ctfc-fan
Horteng wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 02:49
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: A bit OTT there in my opinion.

Have you genuinely watched every pre-match interview at every professional club this season to know we are the only club still doing it?
I wouldn’t class yesterdays post match interview as very informative, it seemed a struggle to get anything out of WE and it was short answers with no depth.
Warwickshire Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 06:46
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Wade has previously explained about Brown not being back to the required fitness and strength and it will take time work up to getting regular appearance let alone starts.

Seems strange and funny to you, who doesn’t have access to the sports science and physio data. But the sports science and physio professionals at the club who do have the data to inform decisions and work with the players every day think it is the right decision. With all due respect, I know who I would trust more.

Re Managing May’s minutes: for all we know, the physio team have told Wade that to get back on schedule for the number of minutes May is programmed to play this season he can only play an hour or so in September, or has a certain number of minutes left until Christmas so Wade has opted to save some now. Whatever the case, I am of the view there will be a technical explanation rather than “something strange.”

Re Brown: it is not just about getting fit, he also has to be recovered from his injury. Again, we don’t know but physios do but maybe the injured part of his body is limiting his ability to get fit. Eg the only way he can get his VO2 max up to the required level is do lots of training at a high threshold level. But if his leg can’t sustain the level of fitness training required to get fit enough then that’s that. He’ll also have to be able to run fast enough with his natural stride pattern and if the injured muscle is still not letting him do that he can’t train properly. Maybe after his last two appearances his leg is proving it is not up to strength yet and to play more would be to risk more injury. Again, these are just possibilities as we aren’t in the physio room every day but it is more likely to be a decision due to things like this than some conspiracy theory about strange goings on behind the scenes.
Blimey RCS! So you do have the access to the science and data then? And access to a Sports Science degree from the sound of itImage.

Horteng
ctfc-fan wrote:
Horteng wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 02:49 Oh come on. Other than using the odd MD saying Wade’s interviews are utterly drab both pre and post match.

I wouldn’t class yesterdays post match interview as very informative, it seemed a struggle to get anything out of WE and it was short answers with no depth.
Sadly it wasn’t an unusual interview. A very typical one in fact.

Really hope Wade can turn this around but It’s going to be tough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 12:23
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 06:46 Well I obviously don't have access to any science or attend training, all I said was something doesn't add up.

Blimey RCS! So you do have the access to the science and data then? And access to a Sports Science degree from the sound of itImage.

Of course I haven’t seen the data which is the reason I very clearly said several times that all of the above were all just potential possibilities of many and that I and other fans will never know.

And I don’t have a sports science degree, which is why I just used a couple of pretty common knowledge examples as I don’t know much more than the average sports fan - though judging by your reaction maybe I do.
Warwickshire Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 12:23
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Seems strange and funny to you, who doesn’t have access to the sports science and physio data. But the sports science and physio professionals at the club who do have the data to inform decisions and work with the players every day think it is the right decision. With all due respect, I know who I would trust more.

Of course I haven’t seen the data which is the reason I very clearly said several times that all of the above were all just potential possibilities of many and that I and other fans will never know.

And I don’t have a sports science degree, which is why I just used a couple of pretty common knowledge examples as I don’t know much more than the average sports fan - though judging by your reaction maybe I do.
Well maybe questions should be asked of the Sports Science department who allowed Alfie to play every minute of the first 6 league games, the first half of the, in the scheme of things, meaningless Pizza Cup game and the last half an hour of the League Cup game, coming on when we were already 6-0 down?

I think i know, even without any Sports Science knowledge, which games i would rather have him available for if managing minutes is such a big thing.

kora
If Elliott is as inspiring in the dressing room as he is in an interview, I'm not surprised we give away goals early; the players are probably half asleep when they come on. i've started reading the interviews rather than listen to them so I don't doze off.