Robins Report Podcast

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
In the discussion about Plymouth and their likely attitude to Tuesday, I think an important bit of context was missed. Argyle bottled promotion last season from a position of comfort. That stung and I’m sure many players are still scarred by that. My next door neighbour, who is a Plymouth fan, certainly is. They will absolutely still be 100% focussed on the league because they’re terrified of history repeating.
Robin
Plymouth best player (Cooper) got injured last weekend too, just a small chink of light as he's usually quality against us and earnt them two points with a quality save on Boxing day.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 13:12 In the discussion about Plymouth and their likely attitude to Tuesday, I think an important bit of context was missed. Argyle bottled promotion last season from a position of comfort. That stung and I’m sure many players are still scarred by that. My next door neighbour, who is a Plymouth fan, certainly is. They will absolutely still be 100% focussed on the league because they’re terrified of history repeating.
If it wasn’t for Wright, I think they still would bottle it. Looked like they were going to at one point until Ipswich decided to give up the chase.
Malabus
Latest match day podcast.

The Robins Report https://open.spotify.com/episode/3oHSymcy0asMKaCjOSQ1fw

Not really for the pathetic rose-tinters. You lot will cry. Don’t listen fairy heads. Only for the realists.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 21:50 Latest match day podcast.

The Robins Report https://open.spotify.com/episode/3oHSymcy0asMKaCjOSQ1fw

Not really for the pathetic rose-tinters. You lot will cry. Don’t listen fairy heads. Only for the realists.
Sounds an honest reflection of the game as we were awful and the result was awful, if not unexpected. Not sure anything for anyone to disagree with there.

My only two comments:

1) Before kick off Matt et al were saying, to paraphrase, “Baggott starting which is good as we have wanted him to start” then after the game saying “it was wrong to start him but also wrong to take him off”. A little amusing.

2) Talking about, to paraphrase, “undoing Tuesday night, to go from that performance to this” etc just proves the point that many fans are far too reactionary, up and down, positive or negative, from game to game. But I guess in a heat of the moment pod they have to say something, and a more pragmatic “we are inconsistent so let’s see what happens in the next 15 games” isn’t great podcast content for most listeners.
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨MATCH DAY POD🚨

Join @Owen__Knight, @SimonGardiner84 & @MattMS_YouTube as they headed to Devon as Town visited Plymouth in the Semi Final of the Papa Johns Trophy.

Enjoy and UP THE TOWN!! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0hB07H ... 5TuPg&nd=1

Also available on most other podcast platforms
Benhall-Robin
Not sure about the comments on the officials. I thought he had a good game, correctly disallowed two goals which other referees may have missed, he correctly booked the lad for diving which in fairness some may have given. I also thought Raglan was clumsy in a clash in the second half and that should have been a penalty which was not given, thankfully. He tried to let the game flow. Good game in my eyes.
Si Robin
We discussed this with the members of the pod that weren't there and we think it shows the difference between being there and what we see in the stands.

In the stands it seemed that every time a Plymouth player got into a bit of trouble they fell to the ground and got a free-kick, yet when we were fouled in similar ways we got nothing. I do take the points about the disallowed goals and the booking - Rags' may well have fouled their forward, but he should have been given offside anyway.

Also, a lot of what is said is in the heat of the moment, which is what makes the matchday pods so much better in my, admittedly biased, view.
Broadway Brian
Benhall-Robin wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 13:02 Not sure about the comments on the officials. I thought he had a good game, correctly disallowed two goals which other referees may have missed, he correctly booked the lad for diving which in fairness some may have given. I also thought Raglan was clumsy in a clash in the second half and that should have been a penalty which was not given, thankfully. He tried to let the game flow. Good game in my eyes.
Fair assessment. There was a 10 - 20 minute spell in the 2nd half where a lot of free-kicks came in a short space, they seemed to be soft and all fell for the home side.

That definitely influenced the feedback I shared from the stands!! Your view is probably closer to the truth.
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @Owen__Knight, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84 & @MattMS_YouTube discuss..

A Humbling Defeat
Penalty Heartbreak
Pompey Away
Derby Away Under The Lights
Predictions

Enjoy & UP THE TOWN! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4dEqhk ... teK8Wz3Ghg

Si Robin
https://twitter.com/Robins_Report/statu ... 8807760896

The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
Less than 24 hours till kick off!

It’s been a tough week let’s be honest, but if you need some #ctfc company whilst watching the action unfold tomorrow then join us on Twitter and YouTube from 7:15
Si Robin
Benhall-Robin
I see there is a Robins Ramble podcast as well, good to have lots of content.
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @Owen__Knight, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84, @MattMS_YouTube, @bretonday5, @DaveCohen_ & @tomjwadeCTFC

- Pompey Shocker🫣
- Derby Improvements
- Fleetwood At Home
- Lincoln At Home
- MASSIVE DEBATE

#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/18IdQK ... vrhqQ&nd=1

Also available on most other Podcast platforms

Absolutely no prizes for guessing the subject of the massive debate. I have to say it was probably the most intense recording I've been part of - I hope it comes across in the pod itself (which I'm just about to listen to).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 09:15 The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @Owen__Knight, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84, @MattMS_YouTube, @bretonday5, @DaveCohen_ & @tomjwadeCTFC

- Pompey Shocker🫣
- Derby Improvements
- Fleetwood At Home
- Lincoln At Home
- MASSIVE DEBATE

#ctfc

Absolutely no prizes for guessing the subject of the massive debate. I have to say it was probably the most intense recording I've been part of - I hope it comes across in the pod itself (which I'm just about to listen to).
Love a bit of mass debating.
Warwickshire Robin
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

- Pompey Shocker🫣
- Derby Improvements
- Fleetwood At Home
- Lincoln At Home
- MASSIVE DEBATE

#ctfc

Blimey, you weren't wrong Si , that was pretty intense. I was emotionally and physically knackered after listening to that! Great pod though, pretty much covered all the issues a lot of us have been banging on about for a number of weeks/months now.

Have to say though, the outcome of it is I am looking forward to tomorrow even less that I was before (and that is saying something) and that through all of the discussions of what is not right at the moment Wade does not come out of it well, mainly because it is clear he just isn't getting the best out of the players. I was 50/50 on his future before listening but that has definitely drifted after listening to the pod.

Lets hope next weeks has more reason to be upbeat!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only half way through the pod so far, but re playing four at the back the debate was only about whether we’d play a diamond or four across in the middle.

Why not a three? 4-3-3 when attacking, 4-5-1 when defending and pressing.

Jacko - Caleb - Rags - Ferry

——Sercs Rea Bondsy—

Broomy———————-TP

—————-May—————-

Then we can bring on Long/Keena/Goodwin/Links depending on game situation to go more attacking or defensive.

Lewis in for Rags obviously when fit.
Si Robin
I mention it briefly on the pod, but on our chat this week I've been a big advocate of 4-2-3-1:

Jacko-Long-Caleb-Ferry
---Rea----Bonds--------
Broom--Sercs---Olayinka
-----------May-----------

And if you want an extra man up top, 4-1-3-2 with Keena (for example) in for one of Rea or Bonds.
Robin
Good listen that guys, there absolutely needs to be a plan by the board to make a quick appointment otherwise they are negligent in my eyes. It also needs to be the right appointment who doesn't rock the boat hugely behind the scenes like Buckle or Martin Allen did.
Horteng
A good listen. And refreshing to hear honest and true views on the current state of affairs which is blurred to some on here through their rose tinted glasses.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 20:25 Good listen that guys, there absolutely needs to be a plan by the board to make a quick appointment otherwise they are negligent in my eyes. It also needs to be the right appointment who doesn't rock the boat hugely behind the scenes like Buckle or Martin Allen did.
Or no appointment because Wade is the man.

I’d set next December as decision time. If we are in the L1 relegation area then change, if not then don’t, if top half then extend Wade’s contract.

I don’t think we are going down, and do think we are building something. Fans just need to be less short-term reactionaries and be patient.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 22:02 A good listen. And refreshing to hear honest and true views on the current state of affairs which is blurred to some on here through their rose tinted glasses.
Lol. Not sure you listened to the same pod. Conclusion seemed to be we are at risk of going down, in bad form, but Wade is the best bet without a risk free option.

Thought Mark’s comments on Wade vs Fans (minority of) were good.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 04 Mar 2023, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 20:15 I mention it briefly on the pod, but on our chat this week I've been a big advocate of 4-2-3-1:

Jacko-Long-Caleb-Ferry
---Rea----Bonds--------
Broom--Sercs---Olayinka
-----------May-----------

And if you want an extra man up top, 4-1-3-2 with Keena (for example) in for one of Rea or Bonds.
I missed this on the pod, but that looks like a great suggestion.
Jerry St Clair
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

- Pompey Shocker🫣
- Derby Improvements
- Fleetwood At Home
- Lincoln At Home
- MASSIVE DEBATE

#ctfc

That sounded.....cathartic. Really good (if that's the right word!) listen, as always.
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
·
10h
🚨MATCH DAY POD🚨

Join @tomjwadeCTFC,
@Owen__Knight, @SimonGardiner84, @MattMS_YouTube & Special Guest @GabSutton as Town hosted Fleetwood at Whaddon Road.. Oh and a few other special guests too! 👀

Enjoy and as always.. UP THE TOWN!! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0u3Mw9 ... QW8hw&nd=1
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @Owen__Knight, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84, @MattMS_YouTube & @Joedes87

- A Home Win
- Another Point Added
- Player Improvements
- Peterborough Away

#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7G914E ... -link&nd=1

Also available on other podcast platforms
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Downloading this for the train to Peterborough. Perfect accompaniment to watching the English countryside race by.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Loved how the Podcast lads were joking about Bradbury scoring from a corner and then he did.
Malabus
Always a good listen, highly recommended listening. I did chunckle at the comment regarding Mark's dream...near enough true.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report

🚨NEW POD🚨
This week, @Owen__Knight, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84 & @MattMS_YouTube discuss:

- An Away Day Masterclass
- AGM Talking Points
- Experience over Youth?
- Exeter at Home

#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4ZgIiA ... DedWQ&nd=1

PittvillePundit
I enjoy these. Thanks for putting the effort in.
Si Robin
Not that anyone will be bothered, but I was a guest on this morning's My New Football Club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGoGFw ... otballClub
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @OwenCTFC_, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84 & @MattMS_YouTube discuss:

- 3 More Scored.. AT HOME!
- A Weekend Off
- Sheff Weds Preview

#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1iKOK3 ... bmI-Q&nd=1

Jerry St Clair
Hi Si. This weeks episode isn’t showing up in Apple Podcasts yet. Have got it fine through Spotify.
Si Robin
It's there now - for some reason it takes longer to upload onto Apple Podcasts, I'm not sure why.

A friend of mine said the same thing and it seems to have taken over an hour longer for some reason.