Cheltenham Town v Bristol Rovers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/BristolRoversH
asl
From the BBC text:

9' Hand ball by Luke Southwood (Cheltenham Town).

No mention of a card??

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
No, no card. But lost all remaining faith in him. Two abysmal errors already.
HamTown
Shade wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:16 No, no card. But lost all remaining faith in him. Two abysmal errors already.
Agreed. Macdonald has to be given a start next game
Shade
asl wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:15 From the BBC text:

9' Hand ball by Luke Southwood (Cheltenham Town).

No mention of a card??

For context, he slid out of the area.

Our defence looks a million miles from the last two games. What the hell has happened. 2-0 c!#p goals down already. Completely free header 6 yards out.
Ben version 4:0
This is as bad a defensive display I can remember. Seriously, cannot remember such a display where there's no confidence , no leadership, .

I don't think the game is over mind!!
HamTown
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:42 This is as bad a defensive display I can remember. Seriously, cannot remember such a display where there's no confidence , no leadership, .

I don't think the game is over mind!!
What about now?

Freestone having a mare
Oh. This is painful. Absolutely abysmal from 1-11
Shade
f#!$ me.
Southwood 0/10
Long 1/10
Taylor 1/10
Freestone 3/10
Williams 1/10
Jackson 1/10
HamTown
The most shocking thing is how ordinary they've looked for a 4 goal lead

Wade must be going ballistic (hopefully)
The only player who is worth his place, on todays showing, is bonds.

Broom absolutely back to the dross he was last time he was here...he'll score a worldly one game in eight. Same old same old

Is perry playing?

Taylor and freestone appalling.

Keeper has lost it completely.

Apart from that it's a good afternoon out
Shade
It's been an even game except for the 4 or 5 moments of absolute madness at the back.

I'll go as far as saying Southwood has decimated the confidence in the back line. He has to go.
asl
Starting to feel glad I didn't make it there, now...

art vandalay
Reminiscent of the Exeter game so far.
Ihearye
Feck the lot of them, empty the bench
Complete bag of 5hite
little mo
According to BBC stats,four shots on target and four goals. WTF.
Alf
Freestone back to his old clueless self. The defence generally is a shambles, totally embarrassing.
They haven’t even had to try hard for their goals. Little wonder that some of the crowd are leaving.
What is so annoying is that recently we’ve been improving and looking that we may move up the table. What a kick in the teeth for the loyal fans.
Nesty
GET MacDONALD IN !!!!!
GET CHAR:IE BROWN IN !!!!
theidlerich
Me thinks this must be a Truss/Kwarteng moment. Will the manager still be in post Monday....discuss!
.rather too late to alter my prediction.... :(
Shade
Sorry to say Wade's interview on the radio was pathetic and very painful to listen to. Passionless. Understand it's a hard moment for him, and I'm not Wade out by any means, but his admittance that he didn't give them a bollocking at half time and basically just played to manage the game in the second half, and the lack of sub's until the 80th minute...he's shown why he was an assistant and not a manager today. Disappointing. Bristol Rovers were probably the worst team of the last 4 home games we have played and we completely fell apart. And it all started with Southwood being incompetent again.
I agree shade. To say 'we looked solid' second half when we were 0-4 down at home is just comical. I'm also not 'wade out' at all but he didn't do himself any favours with that...he didn't seem to realise how cross fans are with that debacle
andgarod
so how many of the posters on this thread were there
I was,we had half chances but we did not do the things well
In a chat a couple of weeks ago with several players they said Elliot different from Duff who would have ranted and raved while Elliot tells you and expects things to stick and be done

I hope for a response at Burton
Ihearye
andgarod wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 17:12 so how many of the posters on this thread were there
In a chat a couple of weeks ago with several players they said Elliot different from Duff who would have ranted and raved while Elliot tells you and expects things to stick and be done

Well that is at odsd with every post match interview that Duff gave. He said he never ranted and raved as it achieved nothing. The atmosphere between the bolton match and today was stark. The Bolton match showed the crowd become animated if you give them something to get animated about.
Today was pathetic. I am hoping Wade made no changes at half time because his approach was, you got us into this 5hit now grow a pair get back out and get us out of it. Haven't had the stomach to listen to the interview yet.
Amazing how the players can never perform against the teams that are important to the fans
Nesty
andgarod wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 17:12 so how many of the posters on this thread were there

I was not there but saw the game, but had I been there I would have done something I have only ever done once or twice in over 70 years - walked out at half time - some of the players looked as if they couldn't be arsed - some don't look good enough. I will not name any particular players but I think most will be identifiable.
and if it was possible I would ship some of the on loan players back to their parent clubs , and get rid of a few that are not even suitable to be considered "bench fodder"
Anteros
Big local derby game today and to gift them the opening goal like the way we did is criminal. And the 4th was something out of Sunday league
HamTown
As horrendous as it was 2 things I do take issue with is that I think the vast vast majority of the first team are good enough for this league (the quality of the squad however....) and that people taking Duffs interviews as gospel truth. IMO he talked bull on a number of occasions e.g the not ranting at half time and about the manner in which ex players left
Si Robin
The best thing about today was the Bristol Rovers fan queuing for a pint just before half-time, then trying to pretend he was a Cheltenham fan, which made him look more guilty than ever :lol:

Regarding Wade, I agree with him not ranting and raving. Shouting and screaming at them at half-time wouldn't have made any difference, if anything the players would have gone more into their shells. It sounds strange to say it, but we looked ok going forward in the first half, but you can't legislate for that standard of defending. Southwood was bad, especially with the handball and the first goal, but he didn't leave two Bristol Rovers players completely unmarked for the second goal.

The only real criticism of Wade I have for today was his lack of subs. I get not making changes at half-time, give those who failed in the first half a chance to make amends, but to leave it until 80 mins to make a change was laughable. By then, Rovers were in cruise control, although their need to time-waste was funny in a way. At 2-1 up, I'd get it but at 4-1 up, was it really necessary?
Warwickshire Robin
Even before the onset of the Keystone Cops defending today it was flat. Gone was the energy of the Shrewsbury and particularly the Bolton performances and back to the slow ponderous passing.

Most frustrating thing is I bet Rovers have played better than that this season and lost, we didn't make them have to work at all for such an easy victory.

And the admission that we basically submitted at half time is quite frankly embarrassing for a professional league team in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:50 f#!$ me.
Southwood 0/10
Long 1/10
Taylor 1/10
Freestone 3/10
Williams 1/10
Jackson 1/10
Agreed. Was noticeable was Freestone was the one shouting to encourage, admonish and try and sort stuff out. Long was supposed to be captain but wasn’t stepping up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 14:52 The only player who is worth his place, on todays showing, is bonds.

Broom absolutely back to the dross he was last time he was here...he'll score a worldly one game in eight. Same old same old

Is perry playing?

Taylor and freestone appalling.

Keeper has lost it completely.

Apart from that it's a good afternoon out
Bonds? He was awful. The whole midfield was, mind you. We couldn’t stop and control the ball in midfield. Whenever a midfielder was passed the ball it bobbled off the boot and a Rover snaffled it. Once Broom was moved back into midfield late on he got on the ball and got tackles in.
PittvillePundit
A strange game in that The Gas didn't look that good and yet ended up 4 up at HT.

One of those games where the post game narrative is set by the score not the play.

I genuinely thought a 2 0 down we still were in it. Goals 3 and 4 seemed to knock any remaining stuffing out of us.

We gifted them chances and they took all of them.

Funny game football.
I think today was the day anyone connected with ctfc will realise Nduludu needs to go back to his parent club. Lack of quality I'll forgive - lack of effort I won't.

It was summed up 15 minutes left, free kick 50 yards out - Dan stood on the left touchline whilst two players yelled at him that he should be involved in the mixer. He didn't try today, happy that there are no alternatives so will be picked come what may.

Come on Dan you're better than that!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Stats on BBC say 4 shots on target each, with Cheltenham having 10 shots in total and Rovers 5! Clinical.
Nesty
On a positive note I was favourably impressed by the cameo appearance of James Olayinka .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 12:32 On a positive note I was favourably impressed by the cameo appearance of James Olayinka .
Yes. Probably our most exciting player and should be our driving force this season. His injury was a blow.