Huge Game this Saturday

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
We have to win this game, we simply cannot turn up with our usual slow, turgid, amateur performance we normally gift to teams around us, its just not acceptable.
Horteng
Just cannot see where the motivation/ enthusiasm will come from.......
Shade
Horteng wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 11:09 Just cannot see where the motivation/ enthusiasm will come from.......
The fans? Oh, wait...

I don't suppose there's much chance of us all getting behind the lads this week for a must win game?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 11:09 Just cannot see where the motivation/ enthusiasm will come from.......
The manager and players.

Just because you are miserable bore, please don’t try and pass it on to the Club.

You could try positively supporting them of course, but I get the impression you’d rather we lost the game.
Horteng
RCS you really need to take your rose tinted glasses off and have a look at fans current opinion. You will find I am not alone and in fact this is the general consensus of fans right now. Of course I want us to win the game. Of course I want Wade and the club to do well but I am just concerned. Is my concern not allowed by yourself?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 13:05 RCS you really need to take your rose tinted glasses off and have a look at fans current opinion. You will find I am not alone and in fact this is the general consensus of fans right now. Of course I want us to win the game. Of course I want Wade and the club to do well but I am just concerned. Is my concern not allowed by yourself?
I don’t believe you are the consensus. A handful of moaners on here and a dozen illiterates on social media provides no evidence it is the consensus. All the fans I know personally and speak to are perfectly happy, with two records broken this season, still above the relegation area which was the target, May still here and a chance at Wembley.

Of course you can be concerned. Being two points above relegation is of concern to me too, and should be of concern to everyone.
paperboy
It is a massive, massive match alright.

I see that Accie play at Vale tomorrow, so hopefully that might give us a slight edge.
The main thing is that if we do go a goal down that the fans stick with us.
If the worst happens the knives will be out for Wade, but fortunately our board are more level-headed than some.

It would definitely help if Wade came out and admitted it is a very big match and implored fans to really get behind the team.

I don't about other fans but when I walk into the car park I get a sense of atmosphere or lack of it, for the less anticipated fixture which this definitely falls into.
Maybe some razzmatazz at the ground might help get fans "up for it".
Si Robin
There will be around 398 Tewkesbury Town Colts there on Saturday, so there will be some sort of atmosphere coming from blocks 6-8!!
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 13:27
Horteng wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 13:05 RCS you really need to take your rose tinted glasses off and have a look at fans current opinion. You will find I am not alone and in fact this is the general consensus of fans right now. Of course I want us to win the game. Of course I want Wade and the club to do well but I am just concerned. Is my concern not allowed by yourself?
I don’t believe you are the consensus. A handful of moaners on here and a dozen illiterates on social media provides no evidence it is the consensus. All the fans I know personally and speak to are perfectly happy, with two records broken this season, still above the relegation area which was the target, May still here and a chance at Wembley.

Of course you can be concerned. Being two points above relegation is of concern to me too, and should be of concern to everyone.
Thanks. Your permission is much appreciated.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 14:51
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 13:27

Thanks. Your permission is much appreciated.
You did ask. A pretty dumb question from you so you get a dumb answer!

Why you thought you to ask is baffling!
Malabus
RCS Please take those awful rose tinted glasses off immediately and look at the League One table...YES reality will hit hard!
longtimerobin
HI big game then on saturday. Lets hope for a decent crowd. Get behind the lads and make some noise. Dont just stand or sit there get up and raise the roof from the start. We are not a library, WE ARE ONE OF THE TOP 70 ODD FOOTBALL LEAGUE CLUBS IN THE COUNTRY and rightly so, their our thousands of football clubs in this country who would love to be where we are, just think back twenty or so years ago, remember football clubs such as Worcester city, Bath city, Rushden and Diamonds, Nauneton, Dover, Stockport. and Gloucester city, we have never had it so good. So make some noise for the boys .They represent CHELTENHAM, OUR TOWN, OUR HOME, OUR TEAM. Come on you robins.
Nesty
Every game between now and the end of the season is huge ...........
Benhall-Robin
Shade wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 12:02
The fans? Oh, wait...

I don't suppose there's much chance of us all getting behind the lads this week for a must win game?
Very unlikely, the atmosphere is so flat at WR. We are quick to have a grumble and rightfully so with some of the displays. But wouldn't it be great to see / hear WR rocking and in full song, the team really need a rallying call to help for the remaining games.
Haitch
Benhall-Robin wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 12:39
Shade wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 12:02
The fans? Oh, wait...

Very unlikely, the atmosphere is so flat at WR. We are quick to have a grumble and rightfully so with some of the displays. But wouldn't it be great to see / hear WR rocking and in full song, the team really need a rallying call to help for the remaining games.
If block 1 actually decided to not sing something completely different to the "shed" in times of excitement, things might get better, derby was good and not saying it was but it certainly felt the atmosphere was egging the players on. just needs a bit of work and the "singing" block 1 section to actually do something (some games they're great and don't shut up and some its just half hearted) and WR will be relatively better in terms of atmosphere
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 18:13 RCS Please take those awful rose tinted glasses off immediately and look at the League One table...YES reality will hit hard!
Read my post. I said it is a concerning position.
shevates
Just look at the form guide the last 6 games played 6 won zero drawn 1 lost 5 points 1

Bottom but one only FGRZ below us with zilch
shevates
shevates wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 17:39 Just look at the form guide the last 6 games played 6 won zero drawn 1 lost 5 points 1

Bottom but one only FGR below us with zilch
paperboy
I'm hoping the kids for a quid initiative might lift the atmosphere.
Give all the kids clapper sticks too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 17:39 Just look at the form guide the last 6 games played 6 won zero drawn 1 lost 5 points 1

Luckily the season is, so far, 28 games in not 6.

We might win the last six games of the season and come fifth bottom. We’d be top of the six game form table, but 20th in the 46 game form table which is the one that counts.
Shade
Accrington have had Rodgers sent off tonight. Deliberate handball in the area. He's their only fit centre half, according to an Accy fan on twitter, and missing for 3 games...
HamTown
Looks like an injury crisis. I won't say it's a must win but I'm thinking it loudly and they are most definitely there for the taking although drew away at port vale tonight where they played 3 at the back - a midfielder, a CB (sent off) and a 17 year old CB
tunnelvision
They had Perritt red carded on Saturday, so he won't be available either. Lets hope the Robins can show good movement and dismantle what will be a makeshift backline.
shevates
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 19:28

We might win the last six games of the season and come fifth bottom. We’d be top of the six game form table, but 20th in the 46 game form table which is the one that counts.
Very easy to play around with figures to ones way of thinking, the last six games show the form were in thats fact, its not good and nothing has shown us its about to improve.

Saturdays game against fellow strugglers, and injury hit Accrington Stanley is massive we need to take the points. Its also a fact that teams struggling at the bottom of the table dont discover champions form all of a sudden, hence this run of games against fellow strugglers are vital to us to pick up points and to avoud defeat. We are capable of it im sure.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 09:40
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 19:28

Very easy to play around with figures to ones way of thinking, the last six games show the form were in thats fact, its not good and nothing has shown us its about to improve.

Saturdays game against fellow strugglers, and injury hit Accrington Stanley is massive we need to take the points. Its also a fact that teams struggling at the bottom of the table dont discover champions form all of a sudden, hence this run of games against fellow strugglers are vital to us to pick up points and to avoud defeat. We are capable of it im sure.
I completely agree. It is vitally important. If we don’t win either of the next two games it is dire and as you say we need to win most of the games in this run to be really confident of survival.

Not denying the facts of the last six games. Just saying 28 games is a longer time series to give a better indication of long term form though. Six games can be easily influenced by factors tough opponents, referee errors, good playing form not yielding points, etc. The longer the time series used, the more those anomalies come out in the wash and the more representative it is of a team’s relative quality.
little mo
The next two games are critical. We need a minimum of four points from them because the following four games will probably yield zero points. Just being honest,but hoping and praying that i am wrong. COYR.
Horteng
I think we should look back at last 6-10 games form as that's more current than looking back nearly 30 games.
Ihearye
Sadly we are now in the situation of wanting the to do us a favour on saturday
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 11:59 I think we should look back at last 6-10 games form as that's more current than looking back nearly 30 games.
So at the end of the season you would rather ignore the final league table and just promote and relegate teams based on the last six to 10 games of the season?
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 08 Feb 2023, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 10:27 The next two games are critical. We need a minimum of four points from them because the following four games will probably yield zero points. Just being honest,but hoping and praying that i am wrong. COYR.
Agreed.
Benhall-Robin
Must win !! We are home against a side who sit below us, who are suffering an injury and suspension crisis.

From the reports last night they were hard working, dogged and resilient but without any quality and fortunate to get a point.
Warwickshire Robin
Benhall-Robin wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 13:01 Must win !! We are home against a side who sit below us, who are suffering an injury and suspension crisis.

From the reports last night they were hard working, dogged and resilient but without any quality and fortunate to get a point.
They also seem to be well versed in the dark arts of 'game management' and slowing things down, can you believe teams would stoop to those depths! :lol: :lol: . Anyway with us having only scored 23 goals this season and them 28 (and only 9 away) I won't be putting my money on a repeat of last seasons 4-4 draw!!
Ihearye
Ihearye wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 12:40 Sadly we are now in the situation of wanting fgr to do us a favour on saturday
Had to edit that one 😁
HamTown
HamTown:
There's one thing I want you to do for me.

Wade:
What's that?

HamTown:
Win.

HamTown:
Win!
little mo
Benhall-Robin wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 13:01 Must win !! We are home against a side who sit below us, who are suffering an injury and suspension crisis.

Vale missed a penalty. :roll: