Rumour Mill

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jim
So it begins... the summer transfer rumour mill is in full swing!

Cheltenham are being linked with striker Kurt Willoughby from Chester it seems - 27 goals this season, and is available on a free according to the reports.

No idea is there's any truth in it, but other clubs linked seemed to be L2 and NL level so if we want him I guess we have a fair chance. Not hugely inspiring but we'll need at least 2 strikers in this summer.
Fuller
Chester just up the road from Shrewsbury and we all know who is DoF there now……
Jim
Fuller wrote: 19 May 2023, 14:31 Chester just up the road from Shrewsbury and we all know who is DoF there now……
Ha, this could be the first test - if he ends up there then maybe Micky did take his list with him after all...
Robin
That's Glos City level, would be a massive ask to expect anyone to be able to make that step up.
Jim
Robin wrote: 19 May 2023, 20:09 That's Glos City level, would be a massive ask to expect anyone to be able to make that step up.
We'll need 2 or 3 strikers so guessing if this happens he'd be 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.

Got a feeling we'll see a loan come in as Keena's 1st choice partner
paperboy
Robin wrote: 19 May 2023, 20:09 That's Glos City level, would be a massive ask to expect anyone to be able to make that step up.
Mo Eisa?

He was an exception in fairness.
Anteros
Without seeing him play, he can't be as bad as Norton and Brown....?
I rather sign someone like him than a average league 2 journey man.
Fuller
paperboy wrote: 20 May 2023, 02:53
Mo Eisa?

He was an exception in fairness.
Mo Eisa came from Greenwich Borough FC who were a couple of tiers below Gloucester City back then.
There are plenty of gems out there worth a punt.
Just hope our former DoF hasn’t taken all his list with him.
Jim
Anteros wrote: 20 May 2023, 05:33 Without seeing him play, he can't be as bad as Norton and Brown....?
I rather sign someone like him than a average league 2 journey man.
I tend to agree. Can you see Norton or Brown scoring 27 in NLN? You never know but I can't see it.
Uppy
25 so a good age. Low risk and sounds like he’d be worth a punt
art vandalay
When we signed Alfie he‘d only proved himself at a lower level with Erith and Hythe, which I think was bottom division of the Isthmian League. He hadn’t held down a place in Doncaster‘s team and had a few short spells & trials elsewhere that were unsuccessful.

Of course, we also signed that guy from North Ferriby (Bradshaw?) who got injured when he arrived, then was sent off on his debut and was allowed to quietly leave after his whelm was most certainly under.
CS85
Jp has said this is a no go.
Robin
People need to manage their expectations with these non-league players, whilst some like Mo Eisa will be a roaring success the majority won't make it and will drop back down.
Shade
Who is "people"? Everyone here has either said might be worth a punt as there's talent out there but Eisa was an exception.
Robin
Read the comments, all I am saying is be cautious, hopefully (if it happens) it works out but most players will struggle to make that sort of leap. It's likely comparable with Alfie May signing for Man Utd or Newcastle in terms of jump in standard.
Shade
I have read the comments, hence me saying nobody is saying “get him, he’ll for sure be great”. You’re preaching caution to the cautious :lol:
shevates
McCauley Langstaff would of been a good punt, but Notts County got promoted so unlikely he would be sold, 40 National league goals wouldnt of been cheap, but we will have to spend big to replace Alfie
Shade
We didn’t spend big to get Alfie so I doubt we will blow big money on a player who might turn out to be not be as good as him anyway. I’d be shocked if we pay more for a replacement than we did on Keena (who IS the replacement, we just got him here early, afaic).
shevates
We didnt spend big on Norton and Goodwin, look what we got, we will have to spend big to bring in a striker to match the partnership i feel May and Keena would of achieved. Our midfield dont contribute much to our goal tally so to me its vital Alfie is replaced with a potential 15 to 20 goal striker
Robin
Agree with Shevates I feel we need one permanent and one loanee up front this summer both of which are good enough to be regular starters. Our forward line for most of the first half of last season was utterly depressing with several players (Alfie aside) who were no where near the standard.
Jim
Robin wrote: 22 May 2023, 14:04 Agree with Shevates I feel we need one permanent and one loanee up front this summer both of which are good enough to be regular starters. Our forward line for most of the first half of last season was utterly depressing with several players (Alfie aside) who were no where near the standard.
I'd agree with that, I think our best bet to get a good partner in for Keena is to use the loan market. Not sure what profile would best suit a Keena partner (other than a clone of Alfie...), but I wonder if Louie Barry from Villa could work. He's had a couple of stints in L1 which haven't worked but he'd add some pace and directness, plus we have a decent relationship with the club.
asl
I wonder if a journeyman, experienced, Steve Booker-a-like might be a better choice to partner Keena - rather than an inexperienced youngster?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

PCrobin
asl wrote: 22 May 2023, 14:32 I wonder if a journeyman, experienced, Steve Booker-a-like might be a better choice to partner Keena - rather than an inexperienced youngster?

Definitely, I was a big fan of Brooker. He had a major impact in his short time here. Or if we could magic up another Luke Varney! Might still need to sign someone in the midfield with a bit of pace though. Something we're severely lacking.
CTFCfan99
shevates wrote: 22 May 2023, 13:08 We didnt spend big on Norton and Goodwin, look what we got, we will have to spend big to bring in a striker to match the partnership i feel May and Keena would of achieved. Our midfield dont contribute much to our goal tally so to me its vital Alfie is replaced with a potential 15 to 20 goal striker
We say this every single season but when was the last time we signed a proven 15-20 goal striker? Keena only proven in Ireland. May and Eisa weren't. Varney maybe earlier in his career but was never going to be that when we signed him.

The market for those players is too big and we can't compete with others at our level, so any striker we sign will have some risk whether they are a young player from non league/on loan or coming to the end of their career.
Lord Elpuz
shevates wrote: 22 May 2023, 13:08 We didnt spend big on Norton and Goodwin, look what we got, we will have to spend big to bring in a striker to match the partnership i feel May and Keena would of achieved. Our midfield dont contribute much to our goal tally so to me its vital Alfie is replaced with a potential 15 to 20 goal striker
I honestly believe there is a player in Will Goodwin and we need to give the lad a chance. I also thought the same about a lad called Freestone, when many of our fans wanted him gone.

Goodwin is strong, and wins a lot of his headers, he’s also better in the air than Keena - I would like to see a Keena / Goodwin pairing given a chance to develop, as Keena could capitalise on the flick-on’s that Goodwin often wins.
horlickfanclub
Well said Lord.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:10
I honestly believe there is a player in Will Goodwin and we need to give the lad a chance. I also thought the same about a lad called Freestone, when many of our fans wanted him gone.

Goodwin is strong, and wins a lot of his headers, he’s also better in the air than Keena - I would like to see a Keena / Goodwin pairing given a chance to develop, as Keena could capitalise on the flick-on’s that Goodwin often wins.
I quite agree. Like you I rated Freestone from early on. After Salford in this season’s Pizza Cup I expressed a sentiment that Goodwin would be a top player for us and I still think he will be.

I expect the pairing you mention to start the first game of the season.
Robin
asl wrote: 22 May 2023, 14:32 I wonder if a journeyman, experienced, Steve Booker-a-like might be a better choice to partner Keena - rather than an inexperienced youngster?

I would love an experienced player up top, someone like Varney who is released from a Champ club and willing to take a pay cut for another season of football. Would still suggest we need a loanee though, imagine if Keena gets injured and we have Lloyd and Goodwin up top :lol:
Uppy
Would be great if Goodwin kicked on but can we afford to gamble replacing May with him? High risk/high reward if we don’t bring in another quality option.
Jim
Lord Elpuz wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:10

Another agreement with this - surprised by way people deride Goodwin already. There's no doubt he's looked out of his depth at times, there are obvious attributes to his game and I agree that he could turn out to be a good player for us. Still very early days for him, and like others have said, some were quick to write off Freestone and also Bradbury (Bonds too once upon a time). Some of these players just need time.

Perhaps too much was put on him - i.e. the no. 9 shirt and looking like first choice to partner Alfie before Keena came in. Not his fault he was thrown in at the deep end.
horlickfanclub
If you look at the interviews with Aidan Keena he struggled to get a game at times when he was Goodwins age. Given the right system and good management there is no reason why he can't do well.
Jim
Sounds like there wasn't any truth in this one anyway, but Kurt Willoughby has just signed for Oldham in the NL. Probably a great signing for them but suggests League 2 would've been a big step up for him.

On the rumour front that only really leaves Robert Street, the young Palace striker who was on loan at Shrewsbury last season. Get the feeling we might be waiting a while to see many incomings.
Shade
We may, but over the last few years more of our signings have been kept quiet until the deal is done, or very nearly done if JP gets wind late on.
CS85
Are any signings likely considering we haven't got a ahead of recruitment yet?. Ofcourse we will have scouts but surely the new man or woman in the head of recruitment role will want the main input.
Jim
CS85 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 16:38 Are any signings likely considering we haven't got a ahead of recruitment yet?. Ofcourse we will have scouts but surely the new man or woman in the head of recruitment role will want the main input.
That's the worry, as they won't be in post till the end of the month then we're on the back foot compared to others. You'd imagine we have a few that MM had lined up.

If we leave it too long we'll be fighting for the scraps. But if we've got targets already what's the rush for a Head of Recruitment?