Rumour Mill

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jim
Robin wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 08:53 Assuming we keep Hammond for the season I don't see us signing another central midfielder, more likely an attacking player who can press and create in behind a bit like Callum Wright did. Centre back is also a given due to Bevan's injury but I would think that's more likely a loan with a few spots available again.

Like I hinted a few weeks back we were closing in on a player from the Championship but that club had a change of manager which may impact things. If it's the player I would guess at then he's not someone who fits the three positions Jim has highlighted either but would add much needed pace in the attacking areas.
I thought I'd read Hammond was heading back, but he has been on the bench the last few games. I'm sure JP said Butler-O was the only one staying, which suggests we're sorted upfront.

I think we'll need another CM even if Hammond stays. We have 4 on a pretty even level, but 2 have had injury issues, 1 didn't play until coming to us in October and the other is pushing 35... I'd like one more first team ready CM, then Wilcox or Ligget (or Hammond if he stays) around the squad as 6th choice.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jim wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 09:35
Robin wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 08:53 Assuming we keep Hammond for the season I don't see us signing another central midfielder, more likely an attacking player who can press and create in behind a bit like Callum Wright did. Centre back is also a given due to Bevan's injury but I would think that's more likely a loan with a few spots available again.

Like I hinted a few weeks back we were closing in on a player from the Championship but that club had a change of manager which may impact things. If it's the player I would guess at then he's not someone who fits the three positions Jim has highlighted either but would add much needed pace in the attacking areas.
I thought I'd read Hammond was heading back, but he has been on the bench the last few games. I'm sure JP said Butler-O was the only one staying, which suggests we're sorted upfront.

I think we'll need another CM even if Hammond stays. We have 4 on a pretty even level, but 2 have had injury issues, 1 didn't play until coming to us in October and the other is pushing 35... I'd like one more first team ready CM, then Wilcox or Ligget (or Hammond if he stays) around the squad as 6th choice.
Given we play three in midfield then ideally we have six at the level so we can rotate. We saw how important it was being able to rotate Sercs at HT on Boxing Day. But it means Bonds and Thompson played the whole 90, and at least one of them will have to do so today as well. Hopefully the legs last, especially with a game on Monday as well.

Ideally we’d have a bench with:
Two strikers
Two fullbacks
Two CMs
Keeper

Then we can make 5 subs each match depending where needed, and rotate who starts.

If the players in the intense running positions average 60 mins a game over the season then that will help with fitness and energy levels.
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 10:14

Given we play three in midfield then ideally we have six at the level so we can rotate. We saw how important it was being able to rotate Sercs at HT on Boxing Day. But it means Bonds and Thompson played the whole 90, and at least one of them will have to do so today as well. Hopefully the legs last, especially with a game on Monday as well.

Two strikers
Two fullbacks
Two CMs
Keeper

Then we can make 5 subs each match depending where needed, and rotate who starts.

If the players in the intense running positions average 60 mins a game over the season then that will help with fitness and energy levels.
6 would be the dream, but tricky unless we can rotate them evenly and give them all good minutes, inevitably a first choice 3 will emerge. I think the 6th choice at least might need to be a development player, be that one of ours or a loan.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jim wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 10:35
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 10:14

Two strikers
Two fullbacks
Two CMs
Keeper

6 would be the dream, but tricky unless we can rotate them evenly and give them all good minutes, inevitably a first choice 3 will emerge. I think the 6th choice at least might need to be a development player, be that one of ours or a loan.
As Clarke himself said, it is a squad game. Maybe six is too many but I would view it as a first choice five.
Robin

Hammond staying was just a theory on my part because we would then be allowed to take international breaks when Bonds and Southwood get called up. I also don't think Butler-Odejayi adds anything to use other than headless chicken but I'll be the first to admit I don't know which loans are staying beyond the obvious one of Bevan.

I suspect we will be adding an attacking number ten type player who can compete with Sercs for that role so that would cover the extra midfielder I guess.
HamTown
Can't see a RWB coming now it seems Long is first choice with Smith backup

Would like to see CB cover and Bradbury get more minutes to bed him in for next season but DC doesn't seem that keen.

Attacking mid and a pacey forward as Keena doesn't seem to fit in to the system we play (although this might change)
Ihearye
HamTown wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 12:04 Can't see a RWB coming now it seems Long is first choice with Smith backup

Would like to see CB cover and Bradbury get more minutes to bed him in for next season but DC doesn't seem that keen.

Attacking mid and a pacey forward as Keena doesn't seem to fit in to the system we play (although this might change)
Was wondering on Saturday, how long will DC give Keena to re-produce what he can be
HamTown
Ihearye wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 12:14
HamTown wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 12:04 Can't see a RWB coming now it seems Long is first choice with Smith backup

Was wondering on Saturday, how long will DC give Keena to re-produce what he can be
Yeah will be interesting. The other 3 seem to be performing well running the channels while being combative and tenacious which just doesn't seem to be Keenas game. Maybe he'll fit better once DC has fully moulded the squad but for the moment it doesn't seem like he'll be able to turn it around
Jerry St Clair
JP reporting that we are in the market for:

- A right sided centre-back
- A right wing back
- An attacking midfielder
- Possibly another midfielder

Milton said on Tuesday we’re looking for experienced players with 50-100 league games if I recall his quote correctly.

So, who fits the bill that we can afford?
Si Robin
Vale fans are adamant Tom Conlon is coming here - they have been since DC took over.
Robin
I will throw out a random name but Tyriek Wright from Plymouth as the attacking midfielder. As for right wing back could we go back in for Ethan Ingram from West Brom? Unsure how's done at Salford.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 22:09 Vale fans are adamant Tom Conlon is coming here - they have been since DC took over.
Conlon I could only see if we sell Bonds, surely we don't need another defensive midfielder. We need more attacking players who can create chances I would think.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 22:10 I will throw out a random name but Tyriek Wright from Plymouth as the attacking midfielder. As for right wing back could we go back in for Ethan Ingram from West Brom? Unsure how's done at Salford.
Is Ingram a young loan or experienced?
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 22:38
Robin wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 22:10 I will throw out a random name but Tyriek Wright from Plymouth as the attacking midfielder. As for right wing back could we go back in for Ethan Ingram from West Brom? Unsure how's done at Salford.
Is Ingram a young loan or experienced?
Ingram is 20, from Gloucester, and has played 19 games for Salford on loan from WBA. Salford have been shipping goals for fun.
Fuller
Si Robin wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 22:09 Vale fans are adamant Tom Conlon is coming here - they have been since DC took over.
Conlon has always impressed me when we’ve played Vale. But I see he’s only played a few games for them this season, think he had a bad hamstring injury preseason which knocked him back. Still only 27 though.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 22:12
Conlon I could only see if we sell Bonds, surely we don't need another defensive midfielder. We need more attacking players who can create chances I would think.
From what I recall, Conlon isn’t an out and out CAM such as Callum Wright. But he is skilful and can pick a pass. I wouldn’t describe him as a purely defensive midfielder either. Maybe somewhere in between?
Warwickshire Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 09:12
From what I recall, Conlon isn’t an out and out CAM such as Callum Wright. But he is skilful and can pick a pass. I wouldn’t describe him as a purely defensive midfielder either. Maybe somewhere in between?
So similar to Liam Sercombe then really? Would provide cover for Sercs and maybe the long term replacement?
HamTown
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 09:54

So similar to Liam Sercombe then really? Would provide cover for Sercs and maybe the long term replacement?
According to wikipedia:

"Conlon is a left-footed midfielder with good ball-control skills, vision and aggressiveness.[74] He has good leadership skills.[75] Former Port Vale teammate Tom Pope stated that "he’s strong, wins his tackles, competes aerially and also has a great all-round attitude over 90 minutes".[76]"

Also 5ft8
horlickfanclub
Not sure we need a little midfielder with dodgy muscles. We have a few injury prone already.
Jerry St Clair
Best get started on an assistant manager wish list then……

Any (realistic) ideas?
Robin
We need someone who is good with tactics and can build upon the style we've established no ideas on any names but that has to be the remit.
ctfc-fan
Cotterill to stand in. You heard it here first
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 14:33 We need someone who is good with tactics and can build upon the style we've established no ideas on any names but that has to be the remit.
Honest would be a good start
longmover
Ihearye wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 10:06
Robin wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 14:33 We need someone who is good with tactics and can build upon the style we've established no ideas on any names but that has to be the remit.
ha ha, you'd think as hardened lower league football fans we would see through the contrived spiel we get from football professionals but no :lol:
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 14:26
Ihearye wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 10:06
ha ha, you'd think as hardened lower league football fans we would see through the contrived spiel we get from football professionals but no :lol:
Hope springs eternal rather than live your life doubting everybody
Warwickshire Robin
HamTown wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 12:20
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 09:54

According to wikipedia:

"Conlon is a left-footed midfielder with good ball-control skills, vision and aggressiveness.[74] He has good leadership skills.[75] Former Port Vale teammate Tom Pope stated that "he’s strong, wins his tackles, competes aerially and also has a great all-round attitude over 90 minutes".[76]"

Also 5ft8
Tom Conlan has signed for Oldham so no reunion with DC at the moment.
Robin
Presumably we were never in for him if he's dropped down to Oldham unless they are paying ridiculous wages which they cannot afford or there is some geographical reason for the move.
Si Robin
Oldham are paying stupid wages and is much closer to Stoke than Cheltenham is (he's from Stoke).

That neither confirms nor denies we were in for him mind.
Robin
Fair points Si, Oldham from Stoke is almost half the distance at 55 miles rather than 88 miles from here, that would be a big factor in itself. Will be interesting to see if we were ever in for him though.
1985CTFC
Going to be challenging to get these experienced players in I think. Just hope the 'pull ' of DC can get at least 2 over the line. I wouldn't be adverse to another loan, maybe just one as long as they have something about them. I hope Russ has had more time to look at a number of players and reported back. But it a gamble, but one worth taking in our present state. DC might get a tune out of one hopefully.
Jim
Transfer update from JP over on twitter: 'Cheltenham Town are making progress with several January targets'. Not ground breaking news as you'd expect we're working hard to bring a few in, but nice to hear things are moving in the right direction.
Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 10:28 Going to be challenging to get these experienced players in I think. Just hope the 'pull ' of DC can get at least 2 over the line. I wouldn't be adverse to another loan, maybe just one as long as they have something about them. I hope Russ has had more time to look at a number of players and reported back. But it a gamble, but one worth taking in our present state. DC might get a tune out of one hopefully.
I always expected a mix of loans and permanents to be honest. The experienced players are more likely to be permanents you'd think but the right centre back is more cover/competition so likely to be a younger loanee like Bevan. Perhaps could be someone who has had a loan in league two and looking to move up like Etete did or Elkan Baggott.
Herbie53
Robin wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 09:53 Fair points Si, Oldham from Stoke is almost half the distance at 55 miles rather than 88 miles from here, that would be a big factor in itself. Will be interesting to see if we were ever in for him though.
The distance shouldn't be a deciding factor in this case in this case, it's a much easier trip down the M6/M5 to Cheltenham. You can easily lose a couple of hours or more on the M60 ring and on the A62 even on a good day. I've spent a significant chunk of my life staring at brake lights in daily queues on those routes and I don't miss those days one bit!
HamTown
Si Robin wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 08:59 Oldham are paying stupid wages and is much closer to Stoke than Cheltenham is (he's from Stoke).

Madness.....and after all their recent money troubles too. I assumed they've got some rich American behind them but doesn't look like it, just a local businessman. Some clubs don't seem to learn.
longmover
HamTown wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 14:11
Si Robin wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 08:59 Oldham are paying stupid wages and is much closer to Stoke than Cheltenham is (he's from Stoke).

Madness.....and after all their recent money troubles too. I assumed they've got some rich American behind them but doesn't look like it, just a local businessman. Some clubs don't seem to learn.
but we'll get the 'fans' tears when this all goes wrong and they're left with the ground locked up. Oldham are another club the league can do without #repeatoffenders