Six Nations

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
So the BBC/ITV could lose freetoair as they cannot afford the rights, pretty sure this would be the beginning of the end for rugby union, the national game is a complete financial mess, the long term health effects of playing the game becoming an issue and the game becoming quite a chore to watch (though saying that there were a few exciting games in the WC).

Yes there would be money (lots of it) on the table for the six nations which the case strapped unions (Wales) will be licking their lips at but long term, can't see how this would be a positive option for anyone?
Red Duke
Rugby Union has been in a financial mess all the time it has been a professional sport. It has made the mistake of paying the players too much money well beyond the income generated. Hence the demise of many a club in recent times.

I would expect the sport to follow cricket and go for the cash offered from the likes of Sky, TNT Sports, etc. it would be the last roll of the dice for a minority sport that thinks itself is as a big one and is on par with the Premier League in football. It is not.
asl
Minority sport? Rugby Union is the UK's third biggest spectator sport after football (obvs) and horse racing/equestrianism. Put Union and League together, and they jump to second place. Clearly all others are dwarfed by football, but I'm not sure they're a "minority sport".
Red Duke
asl wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 11:32 Minority sport? Rugby Union is the UK's third biggest spectator sport after football (obvs) and horse racing/equestrianism. Put Union and League together, and they jump to second place. Clearly all others are dwarfed by football, but I'm not sure they're a "minority sport".
Worldwide Rugby is a minority sport. There are insufficient number of supporters and TV revenue to sustain their current business model.

English football money comes from overseas TV rights and owners with more money than sense. Without it, the whole thing would collapse and end up in the same mess as Rugby Union.
Shade
I always thought the Six Nations were a category A event, but apparently they're category B. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Cod ... ted_Events

I don't remember often seeing highlights of UEFA European U21 or youth tournaments on free-to-air channels, just the final of the U21's this year because England were in it and won, and the BBC refused an offer to show highlights of The Open golf this year, if my memory isn't completely failing me. Or was it The Masters? Either way, I don't think the BBC or ITV are pulling their weight. I'm sure more people would prefer to watch (and have money put into) live sport than yet another moody 9pm drama with a plot that has been recycled more times than a Marvel film.
Red Duke
Shade wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 14:53 I always thought the Six Nations were a category A event, but apparently they're category B. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Cod ... ted_Events

I don't remember often seeing highlights of UEFA European U21 or youth tournaments on free-to-air channels, just the final of the U21's this year because England were in it and won, and the BBC refused an offer to show highlights of The Open golf this year, if my memory isn't completely failing me. Or was it The Masters? Either way, I don't think the BBC or ITV are pulling their weight. I'm sure more people would prefer to watch (and have money put into) live sport than yet another moody 9pm drama with a plot that has been recycled more times than a Marvel film.
I think it is simply down to likes of Amazon, Sky, TNT having such deep pockets and the people who run these events will accept the highest bid irrespective of who or how many actually watch it. BBC and ITV just can't compete.
Ihearye
Red Duke wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 11:13 Rugby Union has been in a financial mess all the time it has been a professional sport. It has made the mistake of paying the players too much money well beyond the income generated. Hence the demise of many a club in recent times.

I would expect the sport to follow cricket and go for the cash offered from the likes of Sky, TNT Sports, etc. it would be the last roll of the dice for a minority sport that thinks itself is as a big one and is on par with the Premier League in football. It is not.
Some countries have been running a financial circus and over the last couple of years, the price has started to be paid. Some club owners run the club as a franchise and pay overly inflated wages to average players. When they are caught, as per Saracens , little in reality is done to punish the financial mishandling.
longmover
Ihearye wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 20:50
Red Duke wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 11:13 Rugby Union has been in a financial mess all the time it has been a professional sport. It has made the mistake of paying the players too much money well beyond the income generated. Hence the demise of many a club in recent times.

Some countries have been running a financial circus and over the last couple of years, the price has started to be paid. Some club owners run the club as a franchise and pay overly inflated wages to average players. When they are caught, as per Saracens , little in reality is done to punish the financial mishandling.
ha ha yes, the fact that Saracens were able to keep their championship's after their financial fudging really did make a mockery of the whole thing. Its worth the risk isn't it (see everton).