Steve Cotterill is the new...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
FGR boss.
Horteng
Blimey. Money must be running low in the Cotterill household.
Malabus
Fuller
Crikey….
QED
Cotterill is a known admirer of Vince
This was not, in fact, known
Chris FGR
He might not have been before, but officially he will be now. Seems every manager we appoint have to talk about their admiration for Vince publicly.
Horteng
Chris FGR wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:43 He might not have been before, but officially he will be now. Seems every manager we appoint have to talk about their admiration for Vince publicly.
Atleast you’re guaranteed one thing. And that is that it will end in tears like all previous managers.

Can see DV and SC clashing
longmover
QED wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:34
Cotterill is a known admirer of Vince
This was not, in fact, known
SC (when at Burnley) attended a labour event after an invite from Alastair Campbell, make of that what you will.
Chris FGR
Horteng wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:53
Chris FGR wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 12:43 He might not have been before, but officially he will be now. Seems every manager we appoint have to talk about their admiration for Vince publicly.
Atleast you’re guaranteed one thing. And that is that it will end in tears like all previous managers.

Can see DV and SC clashing
People said that about Deeney, but he only met DV once in his time here. Middle management run the club these days, the biggest worry is Cotterill clashing with our DoF which is what happened with Big Dunc.
Malabus
I can only envisage fireworks 🎇 The soap opera continues.
shevates
A marriage from hell
Chris FGR
What I find strange is a few Cheltenham fans saying this will tarnish his legacy. When he was your manager several of your fans used to come and support us occasionally. It's hardly crossing the Old Firm divide, is it.
Malabus
Wondering if Rob Street will head that way.
Si Robin
Chris FGR wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 13:08 What I find strange is a few Cheltenham fans saying this will tarnish his legacy. When he was your manager several of your fans used to come and support us occasionally. It's hardly crossing the Old Firm divide, is it.
Yeah - it means nothing to me, and a lot of those moaning probably aren't even old enough to remember Cotterill's days.

Not all of them, mind you.
longmover
fgr were never in sight and never regarded a rival when SC was here, no issue.
shevates
Chris FGR wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 13:08 What I find strange is a few Cheltenham fans saying this will tarnish his legacy. When he was your manager several of your fans used to come and support us occasionally. It's hardly crossing the Old Firm divide, is it.
I would go every game if we wernt playing, as did a lot of our fans. FGR were a well run club under the Guidance of Trevor Horsley a well respected man within the football fraternity of Gloucestershire. Then it went the total other way when look at me Dale Vince arrived, my respect and I should think a few more Chelt fans went out the window.
SC was a great manager for us, he had a board here who listened to him, or had no choice to be honest. Will Mr I am do the same, if not it will be fireworks
asl
When he first started with us, he said his first job was to "get rid of a few bad apples". Be interesting to see where he starts at FGR!
Ralph
I think it will tarnish his legacy. Never thought he would do it. He won't get on with that DOF you have. Nothing personal Chris, but I really hope you get relegated now.
We used to come watch you when Frank was the boss from time to time but DV came along and (as a club) you all changed for the worse up there
Ralph
asl wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 14:05 When he first started with us, he said his first job was to "get rid of a few bad apples". Be interesting to see where he starts at FGR!
Be lucky if they can get a starting 11 then if TD was right which i think he was. He has a lot of work to do
Chris FGR
longmover wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 13:34 fgr were never in sight and never regarded a rival when SC was here, no issue.
We were in the same division in 98/99 when SC won the Conference title with you. You won 2-1 at The Lawn and it was a 1-1 draw at WR. We finished 12th and got to the FA Trophy final where a number of your fans came to Wembley to support us.

So we were in sight, but there was no issue between the clubs.
Last edited by Chris FGR on 24 Jan 2024, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
Couldn't give a feck where he works. All that concerns me is that we are not playing each other next year. All I would observe is that SC has made some odd choices of late
Ralph
There is nothing yet on their website saying "Welcome Steve". Ash Loveridge who wrote the story Mal linked is known for his clickbait. Not saying it won't happen but its not official yet
Si Robin
JP has all but confirmed it.
Shade
Agent Steve has gone to make sure they go down.

In all seriousness, they'll be safe by mid April now. Extremely disappointing he's joined the circus and I'm with Ralph, it damages his so-called legacy that he seemed so keen to protect. What he meant was, he only wanted a well-paying job with a big budget. He'll go there to try and save them as they're paying him a fortune, no doubt, but he wouldn't step in here to try and save us for the love of the club.
cliffy90
The offers from Championship and League One clubs have dried up. He obviously just fancies topping up his retirement fund.
Chris FGR
I don't understand how it damages his legacy?
Whatever he does here doesn't change what he achieved with you, does it? We aren't even in the same division either.

Quite a few ex Cheltenham favourites have coached here over the years, Jerry Gill was assistant to Jim Harvey, Steve Guinan & Craig Armstrong were player coaches under Hockaday etc. Even Ian Weston was our physio for several seasons up until last summer. Has this made any of them less popular with Robins fans?
Ralph
Shade wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 15:44 Agent Steve has gone to make sure they go down.

In all seriousness, they'll be safe by mid April now. Extremely disappointing he's joined the circus and I'm with Ralph, it damages his so-called legacy that he seemed so keen to protect. What he meant was, he only wanted a well-paying job with a big budget. He'll go there to try and save them as they're paying him a fortune, no doubt, but he wouldn't step in here to try and save us for the love of the club.
Yeah i thought that when i was typing out my post
Jerry St Clair
Chris FGR wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 16:04 I don't understand how it damages his legacy?
Whatever he does here doesn't change what he achieved with you, does it? We aren't even in the same division either.
Quite agree. Cotterill is a totemic figure in this clubs history. I cannot fathom how going to work for a club nearby, with whom any hatred is entirely confected, would damage that legacy.
Ihearye
Ralph wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 16:12
Shade wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 15:44 Agent Steve has gone to make sure they go down.

Yeah i thought that when i was typing out my post
Did he not say he wouldn't come back out of respect for Wade?
paperboy
If indeed SC is confirmed as their manager or head coach it'll be interesting to see if Wade or Aaron Wilbraham ( his assistant at Shrewsbury) become part of his backroom staff.

Not sure how joining FGR will tarnish his legacy.
The bloke has been out of work for quite a while and is keen to get out on the grass again.
He's shrewd enough to know that he has been in danger of becoming a forgotten man.
Managers like to join clubs that are under achieving which like it or not FGR really are.
plymrob
What's current (but I am decades behind)... Agent Cotterill?
Shade
Some of the fanbase (yes, mostly young and would never have watched SC manage CTFC) sing anti-Forest Green/Vince songs at every home game, so do you really think he will be held in the same regard if he goes in and saves them from the drop/gets them promoted next year/brings them to WR and beats us?
Malabus
asl
His profile on that announcement seems to skip over his longest and most successful managerial reign...
Horteng
I look forward to following Steve at FGR and await the Dale Vince car crash ending........