Looks like a good time to play Derby

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
Poor recent form, struggling to score and some major injuries to strikers and defenders.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... am-9056800

They seem to be flogging the same players week in week out.
High press and plenty of energy against them is the order of the day, me thinks.
Ihearye
1985CTFC wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 13:45 Poor recent form, struggling to score and some major injuries to strikers and defenders.

High press and plenty of energy against them is the order of the day, me thinks.
All that and put the ball in the net
Swiss-Robin
Ihearye wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 13:47
1985CTFC wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 13:45 Poor recent form, struggling to score and some major injuries to strikers and defenders.

With who? We flogged our top goalscorer without any sign of a replacement.
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 14:06
Ihearye wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 13:47

With who? We flogged our top goalscorer without any sign of a replacement.
Can't argue with that,
1985CTFC
Josh H to provide the balls and chances to the strikers. AK to benefit most. Laid on a good early ball to AK to shoot at the edge of the box. Hope to see more in the coming games.
Garby74
I'm sercs we trust!
Robin
With the three new signings what are expecting the team and bench to look like? I presume Andy Smith will come straight in for Bradbury, no changes to the front two but maybe Sercs rested and Harrop given a start? NBO to drop from the bench and replaced by Kinsella also or will Thompson pick up another niggle.
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 13:53 With the three new signings what are expecting the team and bench to look like? I presume Andy Smith will come straight in for Bradbury, no changes to the front two but maybe Sercs rested and Harrop given a start? NBO to drop from the bench and replaced by Kinsella also or will Thompson pick up another niggle.
Sometimes wonder whether to take a risk and not name a keeper. Have an extra outfield player especially a striker. Southwood has been reliable so far. We would never have had to call on an outfield player to take his place due to an injury during his time here.. May get more points having an extra option in the outfield dept than possibly losing a point or 2 in one game if Luke gets injured. Maybe as the season progress we may need to take more risks. Just a thought.
asl
They day we have players who can come off the bench and improve the starting XI is the day we can start that discussion, 1985....
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 23:08 They day we have players who can come off the bench and improve the starting XI is the day we can start that discussion, 1985....
Hopefully we are starting to get there. May well come a time later this season we need to roll the dice and go for the risk and reward. The 2 incoming forwards may help to dictate any future plans. When we might need to chase a game we might need to try Josh and Sercs together if strikers not getting the goals. Can't see to much risk with Southward.
Wonder who would make the best stand in goalie in our team if Southward got injured trying this out?

ASI nothing wrong in discussing anything now which might in some way help us out this predicament we are in. Think out side the box for once.
asl
How many players do we have on the bench, now? Is it seven? Out of that, we're allowed to make five changes during the game (in three separate occasions). I can't see how sacrificing a reserve gk for another outfield player could ever be beneficial.
1985CTFC
Can see maths is not your strong point. It is usually 2 defenders, 2 mids, 2 forwards and goal keeper on bench.
If you drop the keeper you can have 3 forwards, which enables as DC says affect the game. Rather than only 2. So with say LLoyd and Street starting with a keeper on the bench you have to choose 2 from Keena, New left winger and new striker plus to some extent NBO. So 2 from 4. Better to have the option of 3 forwards as DC say to affect the game. Rather than only 2.
Makes sense to me looking at the numbers on the bench to maybe at some point to take a risk later into the season to get 3 forwards to choose from to offer different options. Say after 60 mins Lloydy and Street come off and all 3 bench forwards come on if we need to chase the game.

It is called adding strings to ones bow if needed. Anyway was just a suggestion if things start to get tight as we progress through our games. Can't see why you have to poo poo any thing which we could try to help us survive.
1985CTFC
If you still don't get it, is it better to have 3 forwards on the bench to affect the game instead of 2? Be it a very small risk so far with Southwood in goal.
asl
You think we have three 'spare' forwards capable of affecting the game by coming off the bench?

Interesting view. I'm done.
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 14:27 You think we have three 'spare' forwards capable of affecting the game by coming off the bench?

Are you being obtuse.... with 2 incoming forwards plus Keena and NBO we have 4!!!! Probably 3 in reality.
Yes maths not your strong point.
Ihearye
1985CTFC wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 14:35
asl wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 14:27 You think we have three 'spare' forwards capable of affecting the game by coming off the bench?

Are you being obtuse.... with 2 incoming forwards plus Keena and NBO we have 4!!!! Probably 3 in reality.
I will answer that, yes
But you presume 2 forwards, so far I see none
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 14:50
1985CTFC wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 14:35

I will answer that, yes
But you presume 2 forwards, so far I see none
2 extra coming in Duh.... think that makes 5/6 forwards at week ending
Fuller

Oh well.
asl
If only we had six strikers on the bench who were all at least as good as the ones who started.
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 18:36 If only we had six strikers on the bench who were all at least as good as the ones who started.
Lets see how the 2 new forwards perform and we can access it then. No need to get negative yet.
By the way I didn't mention 6 strikers, told you maths not your strongest point.
All this is only about whether it might be worth getting an extra outfield player on the bench to help us. So far Pardington has zilch impact in any game he has sat on the bench for. That you can't dispute, so anything changing is not likely to make things worse and perhaps help in some small way, that's all.
Think I have made my point and you obviously disagree so we shall agree to disagree with the idea of trying something different with regard to getting an extra outfield player to help in the games to come.
asl
I've never had to claim on my buildings and contents insurance - seems like a waste of money to me. I bought a fire extinguisher for the kitchen and never had to use it - can't believe what a fool I was having it.
1985CTFC
I have gone abroad for years motorhoming all over Europe since 2007 with out it and I am quids in! That's not the point

What we are talking about is not a life or death decision. You can't equate the two comparisons and you know it. Being obtuse again for the sake of it. Seen no reason from you to say it is not a possible /sensible option if needed later in the season if things not going our way, Call it plan c ...risk and reward
It is a very very low risk decision and you just don't seem able to even consider, it could be a possible idea to consider.
Maybe you have an issue with any idea/post I bring to the forum.

You got any ideas we might consider going forward. Isn't this what a forum is about...ideas thoughts etc.
Not holding my breath
asl
I think I'd very much like to have a keeper on the bench just in case our first choice gets injured or sent off. It will be a different world when we have six players on the bench capable of being interchanged with the starting team without significantly weakening it - let alone thinking "let's take a massive risk because then we can include a seventh".

Some stats on our subs would probably be interesting: how many non-injury substitutions do we make on average, during a game? Two? Maybe three, tops.
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 16:09 I think I'd very much like to have a keeper on the bench just in case our first choice gets injured or sent off. It will be a different world when we have six players on the bench capable of being interchanged with the starting team without significantly weakening it - let alone thinking "let's take a massive risk because then we can include a seventh".

Some stats on our subs would probably be interesting: how many non-injury substitutions do we make on average, during a game? Two? Maybe three, tops.
ASI am not advocating this straight away, but maybe a way of increasing the possible game changers when thinks start to get more desperate at season end.
You say when Southwood gets injured or sent off. Not sure how many games Southwood has played for us...60 to 70 maybe. Never been sent off or taken off injured in my recollection. So far the chances of that happening is 60 or 70 to 1 odds at present. Pretty safe odds if we need to take a risk I think.
As mentioned hopefully we will have 2 maybe even 3 additions to the forward line and that extra option might and I say might turn a game in the last say 10 games of the season as give us some points to save our arse come season end.
I appreciate you don't or are adverse to risks, which is fair enough. We are all different
But I will finish off our to and from on risk aversion odds and leave you with ......WHO DARES WINS!!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can’t wait for the scenes when we are 1-0 on the last day of the season and staying up in the ‘as it stands’ and Southwood gets concussion with five mins to go and Lloydy has to go in goal because we put a 17 year old youth player on the bench as a game changer rather than a keeper.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 21:49 Can’t wait for the scenes when we are 1-0 on the last day of the season and staying up in the ‘as it stands’ and Southwood gets concussion with five mins to go and Lloydy has to go in goal because we put a 17 year old youth player on the bench as a game changer rather than a keeper.
Give me the odds for that RGS ....stupid comment. Who mentioned a 17yr old ? Maybe we get to the point of saving our skin prior to that by a an extra striker coming off the bench and scoring a win. A reverse of your point and statistically far far more likely. But at present it is all hypothetical. Anyway keep saving the pennies, if this is what it is about!

I would hope we aren't in a win lose at the death. And not advocating we do it from now, just an option if things get desperate. So don't try and twist things and be stupid about it with your post.