Derby County v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
For f#!$ sake. We should be coming away with 6 points this week and we're gonna get f#!$ all mainly due to not taking chances and absolutely dog s#!t officials.
robinsrule
Sadly most relegated teams seem to suffer with bad luck every week… and every week we are slipping further from safety. Decent performances mean nothing if we keep losing.

Come on Fleetwood, hold on at Wycombe!
Shade
Had to say it didn't ya
Shade
Only consolation is we have 3 points from Portsmouth, Bolton, Derby when none were expected and we look like we should be able to beat everyone else.

Otherwise, I'm f#!$ fuming.
Shade
Derby only had 2 shots on target.
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 16:15 Those of us who know a bit about football knew Goodwin’s goals were easily replaced with goal machine sercombe firing on all cylinders. Great business!

Long time to hang on here, but radio five said the lead is well deserved. Need a second
This ages well
Ihearye
Selling a striker, any decent striker, for us was not good business unless we had a nailed on replacement. Those whose who decided other Wise need to take a good look at themselves. Six points gone missing. But who cares, great bank balance
RS1978
Ihearye wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:22 Selling a striker, any decent striker, for us was not good business unless we had a nailed on replacement. Those whose who decided other Wise need to take a good look at themselves. Six points gone missing. But who cares, great bank balance
There is still time left in the Jan transfer window to get a couple of players🤞
CTFCfan99
Was the Lloyd penalty shout as stonewall as it looked from the away end?
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:31 Was the Lloyd penalty shout as stonewall as it looked from the away end?
Basically, yeah. Defender swung his leg, missed the ball, took Lloyd out. But because the keeper got the ball ref waved it away... Then of course he gives them a free kick straight down the other end for a soft nudge.
Uppy
Thought Derby were probably the better team but tough goals to concede. Should have cleared our lines. We can go against anyone, though, and there’s no fear. Worried we might be running out of time and the gap isn’t getting any smaller but we’re a decent team nowadays. Lloyd has been excellent this season too. Didn’t realise he had it in him.
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:45
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:31 Was the Lloyd penalty shout as stonewall as it looked from the away end?
Basically, yeah. Defender swung his leg, missed the ball, took Lloyd out. But because the keeper got the ball ref waved it away... Then of course he gives them a free kick straight down the other end for a soft nudge.
They say decisions even themselves out over a season but I really don't believe that this year. Every f#!$ game these big decisions go against us.

Feel really quite dejected after that. Deserved at least 2 draws from today and Tuesday. Games are running out and we can't afford to keep saying 'we played well and deserved more'. But it's hard to do that when you're playing against 12 men every week.
Horteng
Got to start turning the performances into results......
Garby74
I thought the ref was pretty fair.
The grappling annoys me.

Good performance again which is positive.
New defender was quality.

Kenna oh dear!

Short on fire power....but we knew that before Goodwin left.

Strange from board. Love to know If DC was fully behind descion.

Ben 3 whos going to replace Goodwins goals when Sercs runs himself into the ground?

Er....Kenna?

Those of you that know football do share?!
Ben3
Ihearye wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:17
Ben3 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 16:15 Those of us who know a bit about football knew Goodwin’s goals were easily replaced with goal machine sercombe firing on all cylinders. Great business!

Long time to hang on here, but radio five said the lead is well deserved. Need a second
THIS AGES WELL…

It did, didn’t it? We needed a second. There was a long time to hold and we didn’t do it. Absolute nail on head from ben3 as normal - thanks for noticing confused?

This ages well
Ben3
Ihearye wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:22 Selling a striker, any decent striker, :P for us was not good business unless we had a nailed on replacement. Those whose who decided other Wise need to take a good look at themselves. Six points gone missing. But who cares, great bank balance
A striker who was part of the worst goalless streak in the history of football. :P :P

You’re a clown confused. I’m gonna block you because you’re borderline obsessed with me
Garby74
LOL @ Ben 3

When a team and individuals kick on and improve as much as most Cheltenham players have under a new coach......

Your comments above show you for what you really are!
Garby74
I know what does age well
Garby74
The Legend Liam Sercombe

On that we can agree.

I salute you Sir ....

Liam Secombe
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 18:39
Ihearye wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:22 Selling a striker, any decent striker, :P for us was not good business unless we had a nailed on replacement. Those whose who decided other Wise need to take a good look at themselves. Six points gone missing. But who cares, great bank balance
A striker who was part of the worst goalless streak in the history of football. :P :P

You’re a clown confused. I’m gonna block you because you’re borderline obsessed with me
no sorry you are not that important in my life, but maybe one day, but probably not
Alf
Although I don’t think the free kick given for their equaliser was justified, the way our defensive wall disintegrated as the ball was on its way to the goal didn’t help our cause.
Wellwisher
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:48 They say decisions even themselves out over a season but I really don't believe that this year. Every f#!$ game these big decisions go against us.
Can't say whether they do or not, and can't comment on recent CTFC decisions etc.

But as an outsider, I'd suggest that you really notice dodgy decisions against you when you're struggling at the bottom, whereas they don't carry anything like the same resonance when you're top. Meaning winning teams just win 2-1 instead of 3-1 when a goal is wrongly disallowed, or they're denied a stone walled penalty etc - either way, it's soon forgotten.

Whereas for a team in CTFC's position, it really hurts, and the hurt lingers.

Which I appreciate is probably not what you want to hear just now.

Anyhow, moving on to something else, does the EFL schedule away games for CTFC when the Races are on?
paperboy
Understand the Aiden Keana Fan Club is being disbanded due to dwindling membership.
Jerry St Clair
Worried about Street. He trod on the ball at full pelt and his knee seemed to buckle. Moved around very gingerly for the remaining couple of minutes before half time. Didn’t look right at all.
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:22 Selling a striker, any decent striker, for us was not good business unless we had a nailed on replacement. Those whose who decided other Wise need to take a good look at themselves. Six points gone missing. But who cares, great bank balance
You do realise this striker you keep banging on about being sold is injured and therefore would have made no difference on Tuesday or today.
Si Robin
Wellwisher wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 19:18
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:48 They say decisions even themselves out over a season but I really don't believe that this year. Every f#!$ game these big decisions go against us.
Anyhow, moving on to something else, does the EFL schedule away games for CTFC when the Races are on?
They certainly try to - it's why we're usually home on Boxing Day and away on NYD.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 21:13
Wellwisher wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 19:18
They certainly try to - it's why we're usually home on Boxing Day and away on NYD.
Yes, we presumably put that on the special fixture requests that the league send round every March.

All clubs are "paired" with another to ensure they don't play at home on the same day for various reasons (strain on local transport, potential for trouble, impact on attendances). Some are obvious (Liverpool/Everton, Arsenal/Tottenham) others less so (West Ham/Dagenham & Redbridge - mainly because of the impact on the latter's attendances). Would love to know who we're paired with? It's not obvious to me. Any ideas?
Si Robin
Forest Green surely.
Robin
Not long back today, we played well and should have had at least a point. Has anyone seen the replay of the 'foul' on Lloyd which looked a cast iron penalty? Ultimately Derby had two chances and scored both, we had four or five and scored only one.

Special recognition for Lloyd, Pett, Ferry, Davies and Sercs who were outstanding and really should have been on the winning side. Sadly the forward subs weakened us considerably Keena offs so little it's depressing and NBO continues to impersonate a headless chicken to great effect.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 21:26 Forest Green surely.
I dismissed them as being too far away, no impact on transport, policing etc. But I guess it must be them.
Jerry St Clair
We're the feature game on ITV4 just now.

I'd completely missed Freestone clattering the post at the final whistle. Did he stay down (the camera pans away)? The Lloyd foul looks as nailed on as it did from the away end.
Si Robin
I wasn't convinced from the away end - I bloody am now having seen it on the highlights.

What made it worse was just how soft their free-kick was.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 21:48
What made it worse was just how soft their free-kick was.
Yeah, but we brought it on ourselves. A free-kick on the left which we initially repelled, then made a dog's breakfast of clearing, before giving away the free kick on the right. And the wall, don't get me started on the wall.......

It seems that in every game we have a 2 or 3 minute spell where our brains seem to just completely frazzle
Si Robin
Oh, absolutely. I'm just frustrated with these star-f#!$ refs!!
Shade
As I said during the game, and afterwards, here the sickening thing is the penalty decision was so stonewall, and then straight down the other end the ref gives the two soft free kicks and they score from the second.

At this point I think Lloyd would literally have to be either 15 yards onside or borderline GBH against him for him to get a decision in the opposition half. Week after week he's thrown around, jumped all over, hacked down, 2 yards onside, and gets nothing. But he keeps going and his work for the goal we were allowed to keep was fantastic.