January Window

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
its the 29th and doesn't seem to be much in the way of news from anyone.

I presume Sloggett didn't make the grade, a left winger and striker wanted but all gone silent.

unless anyone has heard anything else?
andgarod
so DC and Rustu and Ian find that its more difficult to get them in than out

I will be pleasantly surprised if we rate any incoming
Will it be a last minute loan
Is the forward waiting to be released

As they say we go with what we have or perhaps there is another sale in the pipe line
Plenty of time for it all to go belly up

What is everyone expecting
QED
My expectations are the same as on the weekend - young winger on loan from the championship, L2 striker on a permanent. Things only move quickly at this point in the window if there’s big money on the table (see Goodwin, Al Hamadi, etc) - most likely we’re in for players who are available to move but whose clubs would like to hold on to the last minute in case there’s more value to extract.
QED
longmover wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 15:31 I presume Sloggett didn't make the grade
I wonder if we’ve sent him down the road to Swindon as a free courtesy replacement for Kins
Robin
andgarod wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 15:51 so DC and Rustu and Ian find that its more difficult to get them in than out

I will be pleasantly surprised if we rate any incoming
Will it be a last minute loan
Is the forward waiting to be released

As they say we go with what we have or perhaps there is another sale in the pipe line
Plenty of time for it all to go belly up

What is everyone expecting
It sounds like the striker and winger are known and just a matter of getting the deals complete - which often takes weeks to finalise. It may be we are waiting for the league two team to sign a replacement before the striker comes here, but it could be the club is terminating their contract and we wait for that first. Still this is Cheltenham and I would not be shocked to see a rush of panic loanees coming in.
Robin
QED wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 15:57 My expectations are the same as on the weekend - young winger on loan from the championship, L2 striker on a permanent. Things only move quickly at this point in the window if there’s big money on the table (see Goodwin, Al Hamadi, etc) - most likely we’re in for players who are available to move but whose clubs would like to hold on to the last minute in case there’s more value to extract.
I would hope there are some contingency plans in place with these two players in case they don't happen. Honestly I've heard no names at all mentioned, even at Derby on Saturday and usually these things come out which suggests to me that it's Clarke doing the negotiations and he's not telling many people.

On the winger it's likely to be someone who has been on loan before, just like with Smith can anyone identify someone who has been out in league two either this season or last?

For the striker unless we are paying a big fee it's likely to be someone who is out of favour at their current club but potentially has played league one before or maybe Clarke has had before I would think. Edit, it may also be similar to the Kinsella situation where a club needs to offload one of their higher earners to balance the books, anyone at say Morecambe or Accrington who could fit that mould?
Ihearye
QED wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 15:57 My expectations are the same as on the weekend - young winger on loan from the championship, L2 striker on a permanent. Things only move quickly at this point in the window if there’s big money on the table (see Goodwin, Al Hamadi, etc) - most likely we’re in for players who are available to move but whose clubs would like to hold on to the last minute in case there’s more value to extract.
It is then somewhat surprising when you look at the January transfer thread, that so many clubs seem to have done their business before 'this point in the window'
Warwickshire Robin
Bad news incoming on Rob Streets injury according to JP. Looks like we may need 2 new strikers 😱
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 17:55 Bad news incoming on Rob Streets injury according to JP. Looks like we may need 2 new strikers 😱
2? So we are not replacing Goodwin ???
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 17:58
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 17:55 Bad news incoming on Rob Streets injury according to JP. Looks like we may need 2 new strikers 😱
Yes, thats why I said 2, replace Goodwin & Street? I was treating the left winger separately.
1985CTFC
Have to play Sercs up front!!! Only Joking!! Sort of

Exeter forum indicating Mo Eisa about to sign on loan for them. So players are available.
Bit worrying some of the teams around us are strengthening.
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:07
Yes, thats why I said 2, replace Goodwin & Street? I was treating the left winger separately.
Surely we were after a striker before we have Goodwin away? So if street missing we need 3?
Jerry St Clair
One of those where I winced when it happened. Looked horrible. He stayed down motionless which is always a bad sign.

Sounds like a ruptured ACL or similar which basically means we'll see him in August.

Honestly, if we stay up this season it'll be absolutely no thanks to the Football Gods. Everything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong.

Last edited by Jerry St Clair on 29 Jan 2024, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:13

Surely we were after a striker before we have Goodwin away? So if street missing we need 3?
I would be surprised if it was 3! We were told last week after Goodwin left that we were hoping to get in a striker and a left sided attacker/winger so I would have thought it would only be one extra unless we offload Keena i suppose.
Warwickshire Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:20
One of those where I winced when it happened. Looked horrible. He stayed down motionless which is always a bad sign.

Sounds like a ruptured ACL or similar which basically means we'll see him in August.
Yeah it was one of those quite innocuous looking ones that always turn out to be quite serious didnt it.

Hope its not and its a few weeks rather than the season but suspect the worst.
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 16:39
I would hope there are some contingency plans in place with these two players in case they don't happen. Honestly I've heard no names at all mentioned, even at Derby on Saturday and usually these things come out which suggests to me that it's Clarke doing the negotiations and he's not telling many people.

On the winger it's likely to be someone who has been on loan before, just like with Smith can anyone identify someone who has been out in league two either this season or last?

For the striker unless we are paying a big fee it's likely to be someone who is out of favour at their current club but potentially has played league one before or maybe Clarke has had before I would think. Edit, it may also be similar to the Kinsella situation where a club needs to offload one of their higher earners to balance the books, anyone at say Morecambe or Accrington who could fit that mould?
Looking through Lg 2 forwards one I have come up with is Jamie Procter at Barrow. 6ft 2" not getting many games at Barrow and Barrow now have Stockton. So maybe surplus...also....dada he played for DC at Port Vale.

Not prolific though ,,,but good stats when at Portvale 14 goals in 51 games.
So he would be my guess
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:21
Ihearye wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:13
I would be surprised if it was 3! We were told last week after Goodwin left that we were hoping to get in a striker and a left sided attacker/winger so I would have thought it would only be one extra unless we offload Keena i suppose.
Yep but I thought the original shopping list included a striker, being told last week we were hoping to get a striker in, doesn't mean that was our original plan or that it covers requirements.
We are danger of doing exactly what I feared, having 400k on the balance sheet and feck all on the pitch
1985CTFC
Interestingly Jamie Procter wasn't in the match day squad for Barrow this last weekend. Am I making 2+2 =4?
Just seems to tick the boxes. 6ft2 experienced 31, played prem football as well, and might be available and played well for DC at PortVale. Dunno if he is mobile tho. I am sure people on this forum have seen him play. I am familiar with the name and have probably seen him play but can't picture him.
With Street news we might need another forward!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Would we have sold Goodwin had the Street injury happened?
HamTown
1985CTFC wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:47 Interestingly Jamie Procter wasn't in the match day squad for Barrow this last weekend. Am I making 2+2 =4?
Just seems to tick the boxes. 6ft2 experienced 31, played prem football as well, and might be available and played well for DC at PortVale. Dunno if he is mobile tho. I am sure people on this forum have seen him play. I am familiar with the name and have probably seen him play but can't picture him.
With Street news we might need another forward!
This seems very plausible!

I do wonder if the few free agents like Connor Wickham and Gary Madine will drop their demands enough to fit in our budget if they're without a club in a couple of weeks.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:55 Would we have sold Goodwin had the Street injury happened?
I am not convinced he had much of a say in it.
Planning for injuries happening is a no brainer
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 18:55 Would we have sold Goodwin had the Street injury happened?
For more money than we might have expected, for a player who has just been made an offer he finds hard to refuse so wants to go.....yes, almost certainly we would have, imho.
Si Robin
Who said we were after a striker before Goodwin went? Other than a few wishlists on here, I don't think anyone at the club ever said it.

When interviewed after Bolton last week DC confirmed the Kinsella and Smith signings, and then said he was looking at bringing in a forward to replace Goodwin and a left-sided player to give us a different option - indicating (but not confirming) that we were some way down the path to getting them in.

If Street is long term, then you'd like to think that another forward is on the radar before Thursday night.
andgarod
it is often said that an injury is 6 days or 6 weeks
It could be a lot longer if Street has ruptured something
Lets hope he is a fast healer
Bring back Mo Eisa and or King is now moved up onto the bench and Keena can now shine
Malabus
It’s simple. We are fecked if we can’t replace Goodwin and forward cover for the now injured, Rob Street. If we fail to get in two forwards in this window then forget L1 in season 24/25.
Malabus
andgarod wrote:it is often said that an injury is 6 days or 6 weeks
Bring back Mo Eisa and or King is now moved up onto the bench and Keena can now shine
King is no way near L1/L2 standard.
1985CTFC
andgarod wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 20:12 it is often said that an injury is 6 days or 6 weeks
Talk at Exeter Mo Eisa going there, To late to hijack. Someone has to step up with some goals. Midfielders and defenders as well.
Robin
Bad news about Street but if the name I've heard is true think most will be happy with it - although it will upset some.
okusman
And the worm is dangled.
Who is the name.
Shade
Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 21:34 Bad news about Street but if the name I've heard is true think most will be happy with it - although it will upset some.
Why are you playing secret squirrel? :lol: names being bandied about all over the place. If you're not even 100% that it is this person then why not share it?
HamTown
Robin wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 21:34 Bad news about Street but if the name I've heard is true think most will be happy with it - although it will upset some.
I could think of some on here that would be upset if we signed Mbappe playing for free
asl
HamTown wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 22:04 I could think of some on here that would be upset if we signed Mbappe playing for free
'Attitude problem'.
Playmeuptop
Mo Eisa to Exeter on loan
1985CTFC
Maybe FGR connection if it is going to upset anyone. Can only think of Conor Wickham,
or maybe someone with naughty history! Jevan Brown!!!
CTFC.Harry
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 12:38 Maybe FGR connection if it is going to upset anyone. Can only think of Conor Wickham,
or maybe someone with naughty history! Jevan Brown!!!
I saw Kaid Mohamed stood in the alleyway leading onto Selkirk Gardens last night. Looked a bit shifty but I'd presume he was just excited whilst waiting to meet Milton for a contract offer.