Top target

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Benhall-Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 07:16 Lloyd is going to struggle to play with the level of intensity he's shown for the remainder of the season.

We need legs who can press and chase down things down, Keena is a goalscorer and our best finisher but his style does not suit the way we are trying to play.
Tbh, I think it's our opponents style of play that doesn't suit Aiden- basically they're stronger and faster than him.
Sadly every club signs a dud occasionally.
Robin
I thought Keena showed he has the ability last season but this without a partner who compliments him he's really struggled. Definitely not suited to our current way of playing.
everyman
Benhall-Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 07:16 Lloyd is going to struggle to play with the level of intensity he's shown for the remainder of the season.

We need legs who can press and chase down things down, Keena is a goalscorer and our best finisher but his style does not suit the way we are trying to play.
Despite Lloyd not being peoples favourite,if he got injured we would lose our ablity to press effectively.
Malabus
Gone rather quiet regarding our top target. 🤫
horlickfanclub
Maybe Forest Green are struggling to get a replacement. Derby are not having much luck either . Everyone is looking for the mythical striker.
Ihearye
horlickfanclub wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 14:03 Maybe Forest Green are struggling to get a replacement. Derby are not having much luck either . Everyone is looking for the mythical striker.
If they are struggling to find a replacement for someone to come off the bench for 15 mins most matches, then things are tight
Garby74
Ah the mythical striker....oxford found one.
Great business for them and their league 1 ambition.

That's a lovely word....

Ambition..

Meaning 'a strong desire to do or achieve something'
Artemis
Garby74 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 16:51 Ah the mythical striker....oxford found one.

That's a lovely word....

Ambition..

For many of our supporters, using money we don't have or expect someone to gift the club.
Artemis

That's a lovely word....

Ambition..

And if you hadn't noticed, Goodwin hasn't played a minute for Oxford yet.
asl
Can you imagine the furore on here if we signed an injured player...?
Ihearye
Artemis wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 17:03

That's a lovely word....

Ambition..

And if you hadn't noticed, Goodwin hasn't played a minute for Oxford yet.
I very much doubt they paid for him, only to play him in January
Artemis
asl wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 17:11 Can you imagine the furore on here if we signed an injured player...?
Paying over the odds for an injured player would seemingly be a sign of ambition
Garby74
Over the odds!

Supply and demand dear boy!
Garby74
Goodwin for 400k (or 20k)

Or

Artemisia...your pick from L1
Garby74
Because we need to replace what we have sold
Garby74
Selling Goodwin is not a bad deal if we can replace him and turn a profit.

L1 suicide if we can't.

Is my point.

L1 or Profit? Simple as that
Si Robin
Garby74 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 18:17 Selling Goodwin is not a bad deal if we can replace him and turn a profit.

L1 suicide if we can't.

Is my point.

How about having a club or not having a club?

The club needs to make money to stay afloat, that means selling our assets when offers that we consider reasonable come in.

We do not have a Dale Vince or Max Griggs pumping money in, we do not get home crowds of 27,000. We have to make money. The £400k for Goodwin was a good deal for the club - it's enabled DC to add to the midfield and has, potentially, given him more flexibility in making offers for forwards.

Ambition? Security is more important for me. I'd rather watch a solvent Cheltenham Town in League 2 than risk becoming another Bury or Macclesfield.

We will have to continue finding diamonds in the rough (Goodwin, Alfie), loaning exciting youngsters (Caleb Taylor, Callum Wright) or taking risks on players coming back from bad injuries (Thompson, Harrop). We are simply not going to have our pick. The sooner people realise this, the happier we will all be.
Artemis
Si Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 18:44
Garby74 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 18:17 Selling Goodwin is not a bad deal if we can replace him and turn a profit.

L1 suicide if we can't.

Is my point.

The club needs to make money to stay afloat, that means selling our assets when offers that we consider reasonable come in.

We do not have a Dale Vince or Max Griggs pumping money in, we do not get home crowds of 27,000. We have to make money. The £400k for Goodwin was a good deal for the club - it's enabled DC to add to the midfield and has, potentially, given him more flexibility in making offers for forwards.

Ambition? Security is more important for me. I'd rather watch a solvent Cheltenham Town in League 2 than risk becoming another Bury or Macclesfield.

We will have to continue finding diamonds in the rough (Goodwin, Alfie), loaning exciting youngsters (Caleb Taylor, Callum Wright) or taking risks on players coming back from bad injuries (Thompson, Harrop). We are simply not going to have our pick. The sooner people realise this, the happier we will all be.
^^this^^

And to add, I don't want a Dale Vince or Max Griggs or any of those types. They have a habit of walking away eventually.

It's perfectly possible to grow this club. We were non league 30 years ago. But it will only happen through sustainable growth, e.g. incremental revenue streams. The change in caterers that has folks spending money at the club drinking is an example of this in action. Obvious next step has to be to increase revenues through development of the main stand. But I'm confident that our board won't gamble the very existence of club in getting one. it will be prudent risk averse investment. anyone who thinks the board don't want their club to play at the highest level possible needs to give their head a wobble...

That's not to say I'm an apologist for the board; it's taken them long enough to sort electronic ticketing and the catering, and the connection between the fans and club could be stronger, but overall I think our club is in safe hands.
Artemis
Garby74 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 18:12 Over the odds!

Supply and demand dear boy!
inflated prices and still over the odds, my man.
Jerry St Clair
Artemis wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 19:52

L1 suicide if we can't.

Is my point.

^^this^^

And to add, I don't want a Dale Vince or Max Griggs or any of those types. They have a habit of walking away eventually.

It's perfectly possible to grow this club. We were non league 30 years ago. But it will only happen through sustainable growth, e.g. incremental revenue streams. The change in caterers that has folks spending money at the club drinking is an example of this in action. Obvious next step has to be to increase revenues through development of the main stand. But I'm confident that our board won't gamble the very existence of club in getting one. it will be prudent risk averse investment. anyone who thinks the board don't want their club to play at the highest level possible needs to give their head a wobble...

That's not to say I'm an apologist for the board; it's taken them long enough to sort electronic ticketing and the catering, and the connection between the fans and club could be stronger, but overall I think our club is in safe hands.
What these two said.

Only addition for me is that sustained, incremental improvement will grow crowds. But it takes year, generations, for that to happen. We were getting <500 a game 40 years ago. We're now getting six times that. We started from an incredibly low base and it takes a long time for the love to filter down through families. But, slowly but surely, we'll keep adding numbers to the gate. And that in turn will grow revenue.
Garby74
Article from Bristol News May 2022.
Payments have increased significantly since....

League Two payments for each team are understood to be £472,000 per season from the EFL, plus £430,000 in solidarity payments from the Premier League.

In League One, teams receive £677,000 per season from the EFL and £645,000 from the Premier League.

League One reward

Combining the two payments, clubs in League Two receive £902,000 per season, while League One clubs receive £1.32million per season.

That represents a £420,000 gain for promoted clubs, despite the fact there is no upfront prize money
Artemis
Garby74 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:41 Article from Bristol News May 2022.
Payments have increased significantly since....

League Two payments for each team are understood to be £472,000 per season from the EFL, plus £430,000 in solidarity payments from the Premier League.

In League One, teams receive £677,000 per season from the EFL and £645,000 from the Premier League.

League One reward

Combining the two payments, clubs in League Two receive £902,000 per season, while League One clubs receive £1.32million per season.

That represents a £420,000 gain for promoted clubs, despite the fact there is no upfront prize money
No one is arguing that L1 isn't good for the club...it's how much the board are prepared to risk the future of the club to achieve it.

If you've got a few 100k to invest and / or the expertise to run a football club as a viable business, then I'm sure the board will be delighted to hear from you.
1985CTFC
Dunno if this is correct but comes from The Athletic website. Payments for 24/25 season
Under the draft proposal, a non-parachute club that finishes 13th in the Championship in 2025-26 will receive £17.5million, £8.4million more than they will get this season from the EFL’s central distribution and Premier League solidarity. A mid-table League One team will receive £3.8million, £2.1million more than this season, with a League Two side getting £2.5million, £1.4million more.

Looks like 1.3million difference between lg1 and lg2 for 24/25 but don't quote me. All looks very complicated if you read article.

see below
https://theathletic.com/4957498/2023/10 ... -football/
Shade
Not exactly sure of the point that is trying to be made here. Wages are higher for players in L1 than L2, and that's where pretty much all the difference in payments go.
Garby74
The point is Shade.... the risk versus reward (most business descions are) is very differant when considering these numbers.

Rolling the dice to stay in L1 this season will probably cost less.

With the greater future payment climbing back up will be harder.

£20k not an awful lot for a shot.

We would still get £250k even if we went down!

Anyway fingers crossed

COYR
QED
1985CTFC wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:11 Dunno if this is correct but comes from The Athletic website. Payments for 24/25 season
Under the draft proposal, a non-parachute club that finishes 13th in the Championship in 2025-26 will receive £17.5million, £8.4million more than they will get this season from the EFL’s central distribution and Premier League solidarity. A mid-table League One team will receive £3.8million, £2.1million more than this season, with a League Two side getting £2.5million, £1.4million more.

Looks like 1.3million difference between lg1 and lg2 for 24/25 but don't quote me. All looks very complicated if you read article.

see below
https://theathletic.com/4957498/2023/10 ... -football/
The main takeaway for me from this is that there’s a larger than usual incentive for clubs to try and gamble on promotion or avoiding relegation this year, more so than the past few years under the rolled-over TV deals
Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:02
Artemis wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 19:52

^^this^^

What these two said.

Only addition for me is that sustained, incremental improvement will grow crowds. But it takes year, generations, for that to happen. We were getting <500 a game 40 years ago. We're now getting six times that. We started from an incredibly low base and it takes a long time for the love to filter down through families. But, slowly but surely, we'll keep adding numbers to the gate. And that in turn will grow revenue.
25 years ago our average crowds were around 3300, and around 4500 during our first year in league one. If anything our crowds have flat lined pretty much and not showing incremental growth.
Si Robin
25 years ago was, at the time, the most successful in the club's history - it's a bit disingenuous to use it as an example. The year before we struggled to get above 2,000 (a few outliers around Christmas and Easter). Two years before then we had 3 attendances above 1,000, all of which you'd consider derby matches at the time (Worcester, Newport and Gloucester).
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:26 Not exactly sure of the point that is trying to be made here. Wages are higher for players in L1 than L2, and that's where pretty much all the difference in payments go.
So you don't want the extra 1.3 million? That money will mean more to us than a team like Bolton or Portsmouth. They can splash that out on 1 player. We could get 3 or 4 players and still have change.
1985CTFC
1985CTFC wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 10:09
Shade wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:26 Not exactly sure of the point that is trying to be made here. Wages are higher for players in L1 than L2, and that's where pretty much all the difference in payments go.
So you don't want the extra 1.3 million? That money will mean more to us than a team like Bolton or Portsmouth. They can splash that out on 1 player. We could get 3 or 4 players and still have change.
Remember this is the extra!! not the total payment.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 09:59 25 years ago was, at the time, the most successful in the club's history - it's a bit disingenuous to use it as an example. The year before we struggled to get above 2,000 (a few outliers around Christmas and Easter). Two years before then we had 3 attendances above 1,000, all of which you'd consider derby matches at the time (Worcester, Newport and Gloucester).
OK so take our time in the football league is there any evidence of incremental crowd increases? I would say no, apart from when the Colin Farmer was built and there were seats. I'm skeptical that crowds will grow over time, they will grow through better facilities and/or success on the pitch.

Edit: My response above and original may have have read a little pointed it was not meant that way at all. More just highlightng we cannot just pick a point in time and should instead look at a comparable period.
ROKERITE
Lord Elpuz wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 20:00 A Forest Green Rovers player that I always admired was Christian Doidge. Only 31. Currently at Hibernian. Current salary £2,400 pw.
He has returned to FGR on a permanent deal.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 10:34
Si Robin wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 09:59 25 years ago was, at the time, the most successful in the club's history - it's a bit disingenuous to use it as an example. The year before we struggled to get above 2,000 (a few outliers around Christmas and Easter). Two years before then we had 3 attendances above 1,000, all of which you'd consider derby matches at the time (Worcester, Newport and Gloucester).
OK so take our time in the football league is there any evidence of incremental crowd increases? I would say no, apart from when the Colin Farmer was built and there were seats. I'm skeptical that crowds will grow over time, they will grow through better facilities and/or success on the pitch.

Edit: My response above and original may have have read a little pointed it was not meant that way at all. More just highlightng we cannot just pick a point in time and should instead look at a comparable period.
I bet the overall trend is upward. Maybe someone with season-by-season stats could help. We are clearly artificially limited by the ticket sale ceiling we hit when the CF is sold out. But, if we keep being successful and playing in L1 our crowds will, slowly but surely grow as parents pass it on to their kids.
Robin
Here you go there is ebb and flow but no real tangible shift attendances in this league have always been around 4500 for each season at this level. We had a spell when the club was struggling to average 3000 (this was a low point - in recent times) where we were stuck in the bottom eight of league two.

Season Comp Sold Out Total Avearage
23/24 League One League One 13 0 58,790 4,522
22/23 League One League One 23 0 103,165 4,485
21/22 League One League One 23 0 97,492 4,239
20/21 League Two League Two 11 0 1,685 153
19/20 League Two League Two 15 0 47,704 3,180
18/19 League Two League Two 23 0 72,092 3,134
17/18 League Two League Two 23 0 72,946 3,172
16/17 League Two League Two 23 0 76,435 3,323
15/16 National League 23 0 69,132 3,006
14/15 League Two League Two 23 0 65,875 2,864
13/14 League Two League Two 23 0 68,736 2,989
12/13 League Two League Two 23 0 74,812 3,253
11/12 League Two League Two 23 0 78,773 3,425
10/11 League Two League Two 23 0 68,545 2,980
09/10 League Two League Two 23 0 73,335 3,188
08/09 League One League One 23 0 88,647 3,854
07/08 League One League One 23 0 99,130 4,310
06/07 League One League One 23 0 100,256 4,359
05/06 League Two League Two 23 0 79,427 3,453
04/05 League Two League Two 23 0 83,911 3,648
03/04 League Two League Two 1 0 4,660 4,660
02/03 Second Division (- 03/04) Second Division (- 03/04) 23 0 107,071 4,655
Shade
So a peak when were first in the EFL/L1, then a trough, and rising again (but will no doubt drop if we get relegated, as it does for almost every club). I think we're averaging about 3400 home fans this season? Complete guess, tbh.
Last edited by Shade on 01 Feb 2024, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.