Darrell Clarke after Wycombe defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
triggo
DC talks so much sense its almost unbelievable.
Even in defeat and after such a shyte perfomance so glad he's here !!
CS85
Agree triggo,it's just what I needed to hear tbh because I've been pissed off since around 15.20 :lol:
CTFCfan99
Wade Elliott would claim we dominated the game
Garby74
He should go into politics.
What a F<&king breath of fresh air...telling it the way it the way it is.
That's why this man is a legend and loved by all his old clubs
Basildon Robin
It looks like 9 wins are now needed from the last 18 matches to realistically have any hope of staying up. That would take us up to 50 points. A few seasons ago even that wasn’t enough and Plymouth were relegated on about 51. The hard truth is that Cheltenham were as good as down after the first 11 matches. Darryl Clarke has been an excellent motivational manager and talks the talk. But it is really yet to be seen whether his team can walk the walk. And what I mean by this is, how decent or otherwise are his signings going to prove to be. I’m not sure that signing 3 non league players will cut the mustard. Meanwhile Steve Cotterell manages to sign a proven goal scorer in Christian Doidge for FGR. I think we’d have been well happy to get a player like that….
Artemis
Basildon Robin wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 22:37 It looks like 9 wins are now needed from the last 18 matches to realistically have any hope of staying up. That would take us up to 50 points. A few seasons ago even that wasn’t enough and Plymouth were relegated on about 51. The hard truth is that Cheltenham were as good as down after the first 11 matches. Darryl Clarke has been an excellent motivational manager and talks the talk. But it is really yet to be seen whether his team can walk the walk. And what I mean by this is, how decent or otherwise are his signings going to prove to be. I’m not sure that signing 3 non league players will cut the mustard. Meanwhile Steve Cotterell manages to sign a proven goal scorer in Christian Doidge for FGR. I think we’d have been well happy to get a player like that….
Money is why players like Doidge go elsewhere, even FFG.

I agree with you re DC. He clearly motivates players, question is whether what we have good enough for L1 even when fully fired up.
Garby74
Underwhelming transfer window for sure.
Welcome to Waddon Road DC.

But who's shoes would you rather be in?
DC or SC?!
Will either pull off the great escape!
Si Robin
Basildon Robin wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 22:37 It looks like 9 wins are now needed from the last 18 matches to realistically have any hope of staying up. That would take us up to 50 points. A few seasons ago even that wasn’t enough and Plymouth were relegated on about 51. The hard truth is that Cheltenham were as good as down after the first 11 matches. Darryl Clarke has been an excellent motivational manager and talks the talk. But it is really yet to be seen whether his team can walk the walk. And what I mean by this is, how decent or otherwise are his signings going to prove to be. I’m not sure that signing 3 non league players will cut the mustard. Meanwhile Steve Cotterell manages to sign a proven goal scorer in Christian Doidge for FGR. I think we’d have been well happy to get a player like that….
We signed a player who has scored more than double what Christian Doidge has over the last 5 years, all but two of the goals at League 1 level.
Fuller
Interesting words from DC in the interview.
“It's been a really tough window, there is no hiding from that.”
No doubt we were in for a number of players that we couldn’t attract to WR.
He isn’t the first or the last manager here who’ll have the same challenges.
Would be interesting to see who the players we did approach who stayed put or went elsewhere and the deals they were able to obtain.
On players possibly leaving before the deadline, I did hear that one of our forwards was of interest to a Scottish Premier League club. If we hadn’t been so short of forwards I reckon he might have departed.