January transfer window

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
I have been thinking over the past few days i wanted to get other peoples thoughts too.

Have we accepted relegation and saved a load of money to rebuild in L2? We sold Goodwin for 400k (although not all of that came to us) removed Smith and Thompson two of the more experienced players of the wage bill and there were rumours of an investor putting money in for this window. We invested in Kinsella and Harrop who i would guess may equate wages wise to Smith and Thompson and brought in 3 players from lower divisions two unwanted by their clubs and another 3 leagues below.

Is it wrong to want Bloxham to come out and explain why it was so underwhelming or am i expecting too much transparency? I get we are a club who is at the bottom of the food chain at this level but the window was bordering on disgraceful in my opinion. The comment that summed it up for me om Saturday "Maybe the players took the same message as our board that we are aceepting relegation". I feel for DC as he is a capable manager but isn't a miracle worker.
Ihearye
When you look at the money sloshing around in L2, the 400k will have have much of an impact. I fear if we do go down, we will be there for quite some time.
As for the transfer window, When you look back at threads on here about who might come, who folk would like to come etc. then very few if any of the names coincide with the new arrivals. But that is all now water under the bridge, they are CTFC players, so I hope they do well.
What I still don't fully understand is why the team and squad that turned the season around was not good enough to see us over the line? A couple extra to cover injuries etc. But for Thompson and Smith to want to leave to get more game time? What was said that made them think that they were not good enough for a regular place in the team, as long as they kept putting in the performances that we were producing. On top of that , selling Goodwin, the phrase "it was a good deal for the club", to me means it was a financial decision, not a managerial one.
Do we have the luxury of time to start bedding in this swathe of newcomers? That remains to be seen, but from what I saw on Saturday, the defence looked weaker and the forward line was again ineffectual. Playing high balls to Keena means you may as well just kick it out for them to have a goal kick. The man is not there for winning ariel battles with big defenders. If we brought in Joe as our new Goodwin, then stick him on and see what he can do for 45 mins. If Keena was considered the best option for an ariel battle, then that asks more questions.
I think a measure of how confident we all now are is how quiet the "teams around us" thread is. It was very popular when we were doing well. Now it is ignored.
Warwickshire Robin
It may be a bit of an overreaction but I think the last day or so of the transfer window has finally doomed us to relegation. Not so much the players brought in as such, but as Ihearye says, the disruption to a squad that was going OK seems to have undermined everything based on Saturday. New players with different attributes coming into a team desperately in need of points ahead of a crucial 7 day period with very little chance to bed in. In five or six games time we may see a team in full flow but by then it will be far too late.

DC criticised the fragile mindset and you have to wonder whether Liam Smith & Curtis Thompson would have dealt with that better?

Not sure anyone in particular to blame but a set of circumstances, some out of our control (being outbid for players, ones wanting to leave, our place in the financial league) and some within (suspensions, on pitch mistakes, chances missed), to my mind has consigned us to L2 next year.
Jim
I feel I must be in the minority, but I don't think the window was the disgrace that most seem to think it was.

The defence was definitely weaker on Saturday, and that lack of experience at the back was ultimately what cost us I think. That's not to say Smith and Shepard won't be good players for us, but both playing at the same time when only having just come in wasn't ideal. Maybe it's a different story if Lewis isn't suspended and Bradbury injured. I don't think you can put that down to the window.

From the little i've seen, Kinsella and Harrop look decent additions and give us something different in midfield. Thompson leaving is a shame, but if he was told he'd be 6th in line for a spot you can't blame him for leaving. Smith I think we should've tried to keep for depth.

I genuinely think that if we'd brought in someone like Pressley (never going to happen when you see the amounts involved) instead of Nuttall, and maybe Taylor was an 18 month contract people would feel very differently about this window.
longmover
Jim wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 09:57 I feel I must be in the minority, but I don't think the window was the disgrace that most seem to think it was.

The defence was definitely weaker on Saturday, and that lack of experience at the back was ultimately what cost us I think. That's not to say Smith and Shepard won't be good players for us, but both playing at the same time when only having just come in wasn't ideal. Maybe it's a different story if Lewis isn't suspended and Bradbury injured. I don't think you can put that down to the window.

From the little i've seen, Kinsella and Harrop look decent additions and give us something different in midfield. Thompson leaving is a shame, but if he was told he'd be 6th in line for a spot you can't blame him for leaving. Smith I think we should've tried to keep for depth.

I genuinely think that if we'd brought in someone like Pressley (never going to happen when you see the amounts involved) instead of Nuttall, and maybe Taylor was an 18 month contract people would feel very differently about this window.
This^^

shame Bonds stayed and Thompson left imo.
Ihearye
Jim wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 09:57 I feel I must be in the minority, but I don't think the window was the disgrace that most seem to think it was.

Wouldn't call the window a disgrace by any measure, maybe a surprise. If they had been June or July signings with a pre season to bed in then it may have worked out.
It wasn't broke, so what were we trying to fix. Add some back-up and a striker, apart from that we were doing ok. The squad seemed to have bought into the seige mentality and were certainly not letting their heads drop. From what I saw of Taylor's cameo, he will get goals, we can only imagine how many spurned chances he would have completed over the last few matches. Hopefully back on track tomorrow
I know, DC knows a lot more than I do, but it is all about opinions on what you see yourself
1985CTFC
Win on Tuesday and we are back on track. 3pts in 2 games is the magic 1.5 average per game. Hopefully 50 will do it.
All is not lost yet. Tough ask though.
Interesting to see the reaction at Burton.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On Thomas:

“Make no mistake about this’ Jordan Thomas is a wonderful talent. There were a lot of Championship clubs sniffing around him, and so the fact that Cheltenham Town have been able to land him in the January transfer window should be applauded. So good in fact that you can almost gloss over the fact that Town signed Joe Nuttall.

Back to the player in hand; wow! I have watched Thomas this season with Bath City and I was blown away by the intricacy and the craft with which he uses the ball in possession and manipulates it in wide areas. His appreciation for how to use space and his body to get past players is effortless, he is a hugely skilful player and highly technical.

The way in which he plays is like Lionel Messi – a somewhat lazy comparison you could say, but one wholly reflective of his quality and style – and I really do think that there is a player here who can go all the way.”

https://offtheline599656488.wordpress.c ... eague-one/
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:40 On Thomas:

“Make no mistake about this’ Jordan Thomas is a wonderful talent. There were a lot of Championship clubs sniffing around him, and so the fact that Cheltenham Town have been able to land him in the January transfer window should be applauded. So good in fact that you can almost gloss over the fact that Town signed Joe Nuttall.

Back to the player in hand; wow! I have watched Thomas this season with Bath City and I was blown away by the intricacy and the craft with which he uses the ball in possession and manipulates it in wide areas. His appreciation for how to use space and his body to get past players is effortless, he is a hugely skilful player and highly technical.

The way in which he plays is like Lionel Messi – a somewhat lazy comparison you could say, but one wholly reflective of his quality and style – and I really do think that there is a player here who can go all the way.”

His very short cameo on Saturday backs this up - I know it's far too small a sample to draw any meaningful opinions on his talent but it was very encouraging. I was impressed by his confidence, looked like he was just doing his thing, not daunted by the step up 3 leagues.

Sly little dig at Nutz (as i'll be calling him from now on) in there too, I'd love him to prove everyone wrong!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jim wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:57

His very short cameo on Saturday backs this up - I know it's far too small a sample to draw any meaningful opinions on his talent but it was very encouraging. I was impressed by his confidence, looked like he was just doing his thing, not daunted by the step up 3 leagues.

Sly little dig at Nutz (as i'll be calling him from now on) in there too, I'd love him to prove everyone wrong!
Sometimes you can tell after one game, like some did with Goodwin.
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 14:00
Jim wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 13:57

Sometimes you can tell after one game, like some did with Goodwin.
No doubt the talent is there, there's no hiding that. Just hope he keeps that confidence up, we could really use that positivity off the bench for the rest of the season. Getting ahead of myself, but I could see him earning the club a tasty transfer fee summer 2025.
longmover
You could tell Jordan Thomas had one thing on his mind when he got the ball, didn't even look up to pick a pass he new where the opposing player was before he got the ball then it was head down and took him on. An exciting prospect.
Garby74
It's been a rollacoaster season.

I'm tired of the lows and highs then low.

I liked Thompson and Smith. Gutted we lost both.

The cheltenham churn continues...hard to keep momentum going after amount new face.

Thomas signing saved window in my opinion...bit of a coup for us.

Wasn't big fan of Matty Taylor but seeing him Saturday that's now changed. What a strike. I think he will a big part.

Selling Goodwin and I hate to keep going on about it...was the signal of intent (Or lack of) from our board.

Happy to plod on in L2 and punch above our weight occasionally and give players away.

I have 4 season tickets for family and friends.

If we go down this season not sure I'll renew. If we lose DC then that proves he wasn't as behind some of the behin scenes stuff as one might hope and expect.

Feeling sad but still hopefully.

We are 12 days from knowing our fate
Shade
I said at the start of the season and 9, 10, 11 games in that I thought the squad we had was good enough for League One despite being light in midfield, and when DC came in he kind of proved it with us being in the top half of the form table for quite a while and getting 20-odd points in 10 or so games. Whether or not our squad is now good enough for League One after this transfer window remains to be seen. It feels weaker, especially with Street, Freestone and even Bradbury not available, and having signed players from League Two and the National League. But we've also signed a defender who has played 16 or 17 games for promotion chasing Barnsley, a defender from a Championship club and a midfielder that has played a fair few games in the Championship.

I feel like DC has overreacted somewhat in the window because he slagged the squad off so much when he came in he felt he still needed a sizeable turnaround of players. The striker situation didn't help, with Goodwin going and then Street's injury.

I don't think the window was an absolute disaster, but initial thoughts are that we are weaker now than we were when picking up 7 points from 9 from Carlisle, Shrews and Reading. Fingers crossed they gel quickly because we're dead and buried if it takes them 3 or 4 games to gel or DC is wrong about Nuttall.