Port Vale

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
Artemis wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 18:23 Apparently, Dwight Gale is at Vale Park trying to sort a deal with Moore.....take your time lads, sort it Monday....
34yrs old 7.5k a week good luck to them getting him up and running quickly. Not sure it is a viable report, Think he has history with D Moore at WBA. That's the link.
Artemis
1985CTFC wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 19:34
Artemis wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 18:23 Apparently, Dwight Gale is at Vale Park trying to sort a deal with Moore.....take your time lads, sort it Monday....
34yrs old 7.5k a week good luck to them getting him up and running quickly. Not sure it is a viable report, Think he has history with D Moore at WBA. That's the link.
Yes, the link is WBA. It's from a mate in Stoke....how much truth there is to it, we'll see.
Robin
Surely there is no chance Port Vale are paying anyone £7.5k a week that's Championship wages and they are not a club flush with cash and I would think have one of the lower budgets in this league.

Anyway, Saturday for me is a massive game and likely pivotal to our season as a whole. Win and you'd say we are probably well set to get out of the mess, lose and things begin to look bleak again.
longmover
Robin wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 08:57 Surely there is no chance Port Vale are paying anyone £7.5k a week that's Championship wages and they are not a club flush with cash and I would think have one of the lower budgets in this league.

Anyway, Saturday for me is a massive game and likely pivotal to our season as a whole. Win and you'd say we are probably well set to get out of the mess, lose and things begin to look bleak again.

not after the martyr letter that the owner wrote to the fans
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 08:57 Surely there is no chance Port Vale are paying anyone £7.5k a week that's Championship wages and they are not a club flush with cash and I would think have one of the lower budgets in this league.

Money was his Stoke earnings so he might come down a tad. But someone said he hasn't scored in 18 months.
Anyway as long as we win Saturday they can sign whoever they want, it won't get back the 3 points from Saturday.
Malabus
Si Robin wrote:Their fans were singing that they wanted the Director of Football (David Flitcroft) out of the club last night.
Flitcroft on the latest addition of The Port Vale Podcast. That’s if anyone is interested.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/Podcast/
Eastaway
Jerry St Clair wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 21:42
WhaddonIrregular wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:28 I asked at the ticket office yesterday as there's barely anything left if blocks 7 and 8 would be opened, and they said that there was a large group of kids in and they'd already sold, so I'm pretty sure Vale aren't in the CF.
Maybe their extras are because they weren't sent many in the Hazelwoods in the first place?
Looks like Vale have sold out blocks 4, 5 and 6 of the Hazlewoods. They have a hundred of so left in block 3.

Blocks 1 and 2 not on sale. We almost certainly won't open block 1 of the Hazlewoods up for home fans as we did last season for KFAQ against Accrington Stanley.
Sorry for ignorance, but what does KFAQ stand for?
Malabus
Eastaway wrote:
WhaddonIrregular wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:28 I asked at the ticket office yesterday as there's barely anything left if blocks 7 and 8 would be opened, and they said that there was a large group of kids in and they'd already sold, so I'm pretty sure Vale aren't in the CF.
Maybe their extras are because they weren't sent many in the Hazelwoods in the first place?
Looks like Vale have sold out blocks 4, 5 and 6 of the Hazlewoods. They have a hundred of so left in block 3.

Blocks 1 and 2 not on sale. We almost certainly won't open block 1 of the Hazlewoods up for home fans as we did last season for KFAQ against Accrington Stanley.
kids for a quid.
Eastaway
Malabus wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 13:23
Eastaway wrote:

kids for a quid.
Thanks
1985CTFC
A little motivation for Matty and LLoydy ahead of PV match

This below taken from PV forum posted by Bobnewtonium
We have Loft, Wilson, Mighton, with attacking midfielders like Chislet, and Garrity in a couple of weeks and hopefully Gore. We also have Uche but I've no idea where he is with his fitness. Its not table topping but still better than Cheltenhams options of Taylor and Lloyd, both of whom we let go after much derision on here.

So Matty and Lloydy...ram those comments down their throat with at least a goal apiece.
QED
Coming up to 5k tickets sold so far according to the club on Whatsapp… fingers crossed we may be able to break the 6k mark
asl
Looks like I may be absent due to work commitments... :cry: Be a late call whether I can make it.
1985CTFC
Darren Moore first 5 game record. Won't mention WBA cus it is to good

Doncaster DDLWW

Sheff Wed LLLDW

Huddersfield DDLDW

So he manages a win 4th game, 5th Game, and 5th game.
Managed 2 draws and 1 defeat in the 1st game.
Stats point to no defeat from PV. But probably stubborn resistance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
QED wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 17:29 Coming up to 5k tickets sold so far according to the club on Whatsapp… fingers crossed we may be able to break the 6k mark
The WatsApp works then? I signed up but had no messages.
robinsrule
I guess people tend to sit with their kids but hopefully there will be plenty paying on the day for the terraces and we’ll see close to 6000…. but more importantly a win for us!
Jerry St Clair
Seats completely sold out. Port Vale have sold almost 800.

Almost certainly will be significantly in excess of 5000 tomorrow. Over 5500 would be terrific.
Robin
Shows again how desperate we are for that new main stand with that in place we are probably looking at an extra thousand on the gate tomorrow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 08:41 Shows again how desperate we are for that new main stand with that in place we are probably looking at an extra thousand on the gate tomorrow.
It also has to be the right stand with revenue generating facilities.

An extra 1,000 a game would be, what, £20,000 ticket sales a game, totalling £460,000 a season.

If a stand is £10,000,000 (including buying the land to build it on etc) then half of that revenue is going to be paying interest repayments on borrowing, let alone paying off the stand or contributing to the playing budget.

I personally think we need a stand to generate over £1million a season to be worth borrowing money. So it will need to generate a lot of non-ticket revenue. if someone donates the funds that’s different, of course.
MacRobin
Unless DC is thinking of pulling a stunt in terms of shape and formation, which I think is very unlikely, then I think the only selection call for us is in the middle of the park.

He changed it around against Blackpool to play with a ‘6’ (Pett) and two ‘8’s’ in Bondsy and Kinsella. Vale have been playing with three up but I expect Moore to be pragmatic in his first game in charge and listening to his and their keeper pre match it sounds like he has given them a clear (and new) approach.

Will be interesting to see how this goes and whether Sercs comes back in as the sole ‘8’ which I feel gives us more control? However, if we’re expecting a battle then it may well be an unchanged side.

I thought Shephard looked far more comfortable in the middle of the three and, despite my concerns, Davies and Long worked well together on the right side. I’d expect Vale to try and exploit this side using pace, but I thought the same about Blackpool and we snuffed them out.

Sounds like a good gate and plenty to play for so bring it on!
HamTown
I'm expecting Pett/Bonds/Sercs in midfield. Sercs has been rested and the added goal threat will give him the edge over Kinsella. That said we've got the strength and depth in midfield now to change things if needed

Ultimately I just hope we turn up and give the kids a match to remember
CTFC.Harry
Just don’t lose today. Draw would be okay to keep us ticking over. 3rd win on the trot would be huge.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 08:41 Shows again how desperate we are for that new main stand with that in place we are probably looking at an extra thousand on the gate tomorrow.
Since I started taking my son three years ago, we’ve gone in the CF. On Tuesday night against Blackpool we went in the PRE for a change. I’d forgotten how appalling the view is. And I’m 6’ 2”. My son is 8 years old and could basically see feck all.

Back in the CF yesterday and it’s chalk and cheese. So, so much better.

RCS, I slightly disagree with your timescales. A main stand should be viewed as a multi-generational project. The Hazlewoods and CF are approaching a quarter of a century. Time flies. And over that period inflation will erode the impact of the initial investment.
Fuller
Jerry St Clair wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 23:03 Seats completely sold out. Port Vale have sold almost 800.

Almost certainly will be significantly in excess of 5000 tomorrow. Over 5500 would be terrific.
100 out!
Exactly 5,600.
Good to see and hear lots of the youngsters on the way out saying how much they enjoyed it. I told a couple of them CTFC is for life :)
asl
Obviously saw enough on Saturday - off to Derby, apparently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68341348
Artemis
Sounds like there's been a couple of league one clubs chasing him. I reckon we weren't one of them.
1985CTFC
2 Interesting comments from PV fans forum:-

It's interesting to me how football clubs and fans differ across England.
Liverpool and Man City are probably great to watch but both grounds suffer from poor atmosphere. Exeter in Division Three have a reliably-noisy home end and Cheltenham was noisier on Saturday than grounds 5 times their capacity. Accrington have an Ultras section, MK Dons is as lame as they come, Gas are decent
Our support is somewhere between but we were like mice on Saturday.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC used to always have 10 minutes of high-pressing at the start of every home game. It was obviously tactical, to force turnovers of the ball whilst players were settling into the game, but a compound effect was it would get the fans going. DC always had a very good knack of knowing what the fans wanted to see and hear.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was quite quiet early on but after that second goal it was a pretty good atmosphere and crazy after 3rd and at the end. Just need that at every home game till season end. Seems DC tried to play the same when at PV.
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 09:04

An extra 1,000 a game would be, what, £20,000 ticket sales a game, totalling £460,000 a season.

If a stand is £10,000,000 (including buying the land to build it on etc) then half of that revenue is going to be paying interest repayments on borrowing, let alone paying off the stand or contributing to the playing budget.

I personally think we need a stand to generate over £1million a season to be worth borrowing money. So it will need to generate a lot of non-ticket revenue. if someone donates the funds that’s different, of course.

all dependant on how well the team are doing of course
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 09:04

I think it was in one of the Trust podcasts where Paul Baker said it would cost £12 million for a new stand, and the only way to do it would be with investment from a third-party partner who'd share the cost to include commercial facilities like a hotel or office, bit like Exeter did with the university.

He said it was 'a long, long way off'.
Fuller
A long way off for sure so probably not in the lifetime of a few of us on here.
Ihearye
Fuller wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 15:30 A long way off for sure so probably not in the lifetime of a few of us on here.
Indeed, in fact I was retelling the story at the weekend as to how we used to swap ends at half time so we were always behind our own goals. How time flies and how we have 'progressed'