Taylor pay cut

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... rs-9095336

Not surprising but JP confirms in this article that Matty Taylor took a "significant pay cut" to join us. Presumably part of the negotiations were "ok, I'll take that because it's DC, but only if you put an extra year on the contract." Only fair in my opinion. He could have sat on the bench at FGR earning more money but he wanted to step up to L1 and play and he's already making an impact.
PittvillePundit
I think DC inferred as such Shade
Horteng
Shade wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 19:55 https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... rs-9095336

Not surprising but JP confirms in this article that Matty Taylor took a "significant pay cut" to join us. Presumably part of the negotiations were "ok, I'll take that because it's DC, but only if you put an extra year on the contract." Only fair in my opinion. He could have sat on the bench at FGR earning more money but he wanted to step up to L1 and play and he's already making an impact.
If you listen to the pod with DC then this subject is covered.......

Probably where JP got the story from tbh.
kags
Horteng wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 22:20
Shade wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 19:55 https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... rs-9095336

Enjoyed the episode, well done guys. Explains why the contract length was a bit of a surprise, although our desperation on the final day of the window must have been obvious to the agent.
Shade

Don't have time/chance to listen, I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I didn't see it elsewhere here. If it was transcribed then I could read it, which is how I get most of my info, such as JP's article.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 23:44

Don't have time/chance to listen, I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I didn't see it elsewhere here. If it was transcribed then I could read it, which is how I get most of my info, such as JP's article.
It’s a 40 min podcast, so would be a very long transcript - not that podcasts are ever transcribed.

Also, may I suggest that a podcast can be listened to in stages whilst doing other things (driving, cooking, bathing, laundry etc) whilst it is hard to read a long transcript whilst doing anything else - so listening to a podcast should actually need less spare time than reading it would.

It is on Spotify, ApplePodcasts, and wherever you get your podcasts from as are all the Robins Report episodes.
andgarod
Fact check
RCS says Robins not good with numbers

The podcast is 51 minutes not 40 but you can listen to it in parts
A good listen - if that makes sense
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 23:44

Same as myself
Jerry St Clair
Last week I said on here that I thought it was probable Taylor got a longer deal in exchange for a pay cut. And that we may be being pragmatic in accepting we may get 18 months of goals out of him, but he also has value on the training pitch for Street/Lloyd/Keena.

I think we'll see more of this as a strategy for signing experienced players, certainly while DC is here. It's a new facet to our transfer policy because Mickey Moore was more focussed on unearthing gems and looking for future value.
bigdavejambo
was there a transfer fee for MT? Not seen it confirmed anywhere
Jim
Jerry St Clair wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 08:51 Last week I said on here that I thought it was probable Taylor got a longer deal in exchange for a pay cut. And that we may be being pragmatic in accepting we may get 18 months of goals out of him, but he also has value on the training pitch for Street/Lloyd/Keena.

I think we'll see more of this as a strategy for signing experienced players, certainly while DC is here. It's a new facet to our transfer policy because Mickey Moore was more focussed on unearthing gems and looking for future value.
I was surprised/alarmed when I saw the length of contract but with the added context it makes sense. Like you say, he may still have value even when he can't produce as regularly on the pitch.

I hope we use a bit of a hybrid approach and don't completely abandon the MM strategy. Some of our best assets have been unearthed gems - Freestone, Ferry, Bonds, Goodwin - admittedly there have been an equal number of duds. It will be interesting to see the transfer strategy in the summer, maybe DC will focus on experienced targets and Russ and Ben will look to identify the gems.
Si Robin
bigdavejambo wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 09:02 was there a transfer fee for MT? Not seen it confirmed anywhere
It's been confirmed a few times that it was a free transfer
art vandalay
I guess Grimsby may have taken the same approach when signing Thompson, a new 18 month contract when he only had 6 months remaining with us.

The podcast is very good btw, if anyone isn‘t a regular listener. I only started listening pre season and it quickly went into my must-listen-to list.
longmover
JP's been pipped to the post with this one, good to see other independent 'contemporary' media getting ahead of the establishment.
Jon Palmer
Is the podcast with DC a great listen? Yes.

Did I find out from the podcast that MT had taken a pay cut? No.
Si Robin
To be honest, I always assumed it was the case as well. It stands to reason that FGR overpay players and we, obviously, don't.
horlickfanclub
That is why FGR lost over £ 1.3 million in their last financial year.( announced yesterday)
1985CTFC
Who gives a monkey whether its 2 yr 3 yrs or 10yrs we live in the here and now. Next year and year after will take care of themselves. What is important is the next 2 and half months. That is what DC is focusing on.
Personally if Matty scores the goals to keep us up, the amount we will receive in EFL payments will more than cover what Matty will receive from us and I think money well spent, as well with the addition of his knowledge and presence along side the other players, strikers especially.

Already got us at least 2 points and counting. Still need him to stay fit that is the key.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 12:01 Who gives a monkey whether its 2 yr 3 yrs or 10yrs we live in the here and now. Next year and year after will take care of themselves. What is important is the next 2 and half months. That is what DC is focusing on.
Personally if Matty scores the goals to keep us up, the amount we will receive in EFL payments will more than cover what Matty will receive from us and I think money well spent, as well with the addition of his knowledge and presence along side the other players, strikers especially.

Already got us at least 2 points and counting. Still need him to stay fit that is the key.
Think I agree.

If Matty scores the goals to keep us up it has to, in my view, go down as one of our most important January signings ever. More so even than Holman.
Jim
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 12:01 Who gives a monkey whether its 2 yr 3 yrs or 10yrs we live in the here and now. Next year and year after will take care of themselves. What is important is the next 2 and half months. That is what DC is focusing on.

This is the kind of attitude that gets a lot of clubs in trouble... Worry about the future when it comes around, let's just spend now and hope it works!
1985CTFC
Jim wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 12:40

This is the kind of attitude that gets a lot of clubs in trouble... Worry about the future when it comes around, let's just spend now and hope it works!
Hardly going to break our bank account with 400k and 250k incoming. Not like we are buying a 500k striker!!
So whats more important next 2.5 months with an extra 1.3 million extra in Lg 1 or worry about Matty Taylors salary in the season after next.
Think you need to put thinks in perspective, hardly going to ruin the club in the grand scale of things. Am only talking about the issue with Matty nothing else.
Jim
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 15:33

Hardly going to break our bank account with 400k and 250k incoming. Not like we are buying a 500k striker!!
So whats more important next 2.5 months with an extra 1.3 million extra in Lg 1 or worry about Matty Taylors salary in the season after next.
Think you need to put thinks in perspective, hardly going to ruin the club in the grand scale of things. Am only talking about the issue with Matty nothing else.
My comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but if you extrapolate that thinking you end up where other clubs have - chasing promotion or survival by gambling their finances. I know in this isolated example it won't have a huge impact on CTFC finances, but if we go down we could end up with a 35/36 year old on good money (for us) in L2 who by that point might have gone over the other side of the hill.

Either way, Matty right now looks a good signing and I'm praying he fires us to safety - his performances so far have alleviated my fears that his legs had gone, as reported by FGR fans.
horlickfanclub

An interesting exchange of views posted just below my post on Forest Green Rovers massive loss of £1.3 million. Perhaps some of our support prefers the spending strategy up the Wold.
1985CTFC
Jim wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 15:55

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but if you extrapolate that thinking you end up where other clubs have - chasing promotion or survival by gambling their finances. I know in this isolated example it won't have a huge impact on CTFC finances, but if we go down we could end up with a 35/36 year old on good money (for us) in L2 who by that point might have gone over the other side of the hill.

Either way, Matty right now looks a good signing and I'm praying he fires us to safety - his performances so far have alleviated my fears that his legs had gone, as reported by FGR fans.
Comment only relates to Matty and I'm sure Matty at 35 will still score goals if not injured in Lg1 or Lg 2. Low risk.
DC moving on is more of a concern especially if he does the great escape.
1985CTFC
horlickfanclub wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 15:58

An interesting exchange of views posted just below my post on Forest Green Rovers massive loss of £1.3 million. Perhaps some of our support prefers the spending strategy up the Wold.
If you are referring to my comment, no where in my comment am I stating extravagant spending,
Quite the opposite, am trying to ensure we have the extra money (1.3 million) next year by remaining in Lg1 by giving us the best chance of doing so.
Horteng
Jon Palmer wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 11:27 Is the podcast with DC a great listen? Yes.

Oh come on Jon you really expect us to believe that?

DC announces on POD..... Next day Glos live article :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually don't see that it matters tbh but personally I heard it on the pod first.
paperboy
Horteng wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 17:38
Jon Palmer wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 11:27 Is the podcast with DC a great listen? Yes.

Oh come on Jon you really expect us to believe that?

DC announces on POD..... Next day Glos live article :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually don't see that it matters tbh but personally I heard it on the pod first.
Granted it was an unfortunate coincidence Horteng, but I for one have never found JP someone to tell fibs, particularly over something quite trivial.
The fact that he has responded rather than keep quiet should tell us he's quite miffed.