Cheltenham Town v Blackpool

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

HamTown
Fantastic performance. Was a bit concerned about the shuffle at the back but Davies and Shepherd brilliant.

Great game from Lloyd aswell, refs really need to start moving him alot more
1985CTFC
Melt down on the Blackpool Forum.....I did warn them ha ha...told them not to disrespect us....serves them right....they are c!#p away from home.
RS1978
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:44
QED wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:44
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 19:03
Only problem is there isn't any goals in Bonds and Kinsella . Hope they prove me wrong. Maybe go for it later if nil nil.
Great posts of our time
Going to do it for Keena on Saturday, he must have read my post beforehand!!
We all have to remember that quite a few of our players are still reasonably young, and consistent performances will come with age. Ferry (22), Bonds, Street, Olayinka (all 23) Freestone, Keena and Lloyd (all 24) have got lots of football ahead of them.
Horteng
HamTown wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:46 Fantastic performance. Was a bit concerned about the shuffle at the back but Davies and Shepherd brilliant.

Halliwell at the end.

“Lloyd has been given absolutely nothing all game apart from the penalty” lol
HamTown
Horteng wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:56
HamTown wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:46 Fantastic performance. Was a bit concerned about the shuffle at the back but Davies and Shepherd brilliant.

Halliwell at the end.

Feel like its because he's alot lighter in comparison to opposition CBs so the refs just take it as being out muscled
RS1978
HamTown wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 22:00
Horteng wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:56

Halliwell at the end.

Feel like its because he's alot lighter in comparison to opposition CBs so the refs just take it as being out muscled
Get him to lift a few weights with Adebayo Akinfenwa for a couple of months and he'll be fine😏
Ihearye
QED wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:44
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 19:03
Only problem is there isn't any goals in Bonds and Kinsella . Hope they prove me wrong. Maybe go for it later if nil nil.
Great posts of our time
To be fair he was 50% correct ;)
Shade
Was it Lloyd given the penalty? I thought it was Kinsella. It was our 7 on the ground.

Keena again with no luck. Thought he hit the penalty really well and it was heading in the corner, but the keeper guessed right and flew across. Other than that I thought he played well, made a couple of blocks, chased around and won 2 or 3 decent headers, and played Bonds in nicely, when he shot high and wide a couple of minutes before his second.

DC adamant in his post match interview that "Keeno" is a "first class" player going through a tough spell and will come out the other side of it.
art vandalay
That‘s 28 points from our last 18 games, it puts us back on track with just over the 1.5 points per game needed to hit 51.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 22:22
DC adamant in his post match interview that "Keeno" is a "first class" player going through a tough spell and will come out the other side of it.
And because DC says it like it is, he clearly means it. In DC we trust.
1985CTFC
One of the better posts on their forum, well the only one without a swear word on it....Love it ha ha

My better half has just asked me how the games going. My response was “well we’re playing 2nd bottom of the league and we should be 5 or 6 down”
that’s even hit home to me how absolutely abject tonight has been. Apart from Grimshaw Embarrassment each and every one that’s played tonight. They should hang their heads in shame
Shade
They were pretty s#!t but they will never admit that was partly because we're actually a decent team who had one of the worst starts in League history. They forget they only beat us 3-2 at theirs after we gave them a 3 goal head start. The top half teams fans seem to be absolutely oblivious to what is going on elsewhere in the league. If they had anything about them they'd realise we beat Portsmouth, were absolutely robbed against Bolton and Derby and the only poor performance we have put in in the last 2 or 3 months was against Wycombe, and we still could have had something out of that. They just make themselves look like idiots.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 22:50 They were pretty s#!t but they will never admit that was partly because we're actually a decent team who had one of the worst starts in League history. They forget they only beat us 3-2 at theirs after we gave them a 3 goal head start. The top half teams fans seem to be absolutely oblivious to what is going on elsewhere in the league. If they had anything about them they'd realise we beat Portsmouth, were absolutely robbed against Bolton and Derby and the only poor performance we have put in in the last 2 or 3 months was against Wycombe, and we still could have had something out of that. They just make themselves look like idiots.
It’s definitely a thing with fans of big clubs in this league. It is almost like they don’t actually care or know about football. Sunderland fans I know, during their years in L1, always seemed surprised to be playing a team they hadn’t heard of or didn’t know were in that league, let alone being aware of their results and performances.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 22:50 They were pretty s#!t but they will never admit that was partly because we're actually a decent team who had one of the worst starts in League history. They forget they only beat us 3-2 at theirs after we gave them a 3 goal head start. The top half teams fans seem to be absolutely oblivious to what is going on elsewhere in the league. If they had anything about them they'd realise we beat Portsmouth, were absolutely robbed against Bolton and Derby and the only poor performance we have put in in the last 2 or 3 months was against Wycombe, and we still could have had something out of that. They just make themselves look like idiots.
Very true. After every game they play us, they slag off their team, even Bolton and Derby who beat us. I take it as a compliment as they moan and groan about their team off after playing us. So funny reading the before and after posts on the forums.
Be funny if Charlton and Shrews go down.....and we stay up.
Blackpool haven't won away mid week since way back last year. Was in the stars.
Shade
[quote=1985CTFC post_id=354844
Be funny if Charlton and Shrews go down.....and we stay up.
[/quote]

That would be absolutely perfect and would feel like huge karma after the season we have had, our star striker and half our backroom staff being robbed and all going down but, at the moment, I'd take us staying up at the expense of anyone.
asl
Blimey, they don't believe in posts more than a sentence long on their forum, do they? Some of our contributions must look like books to them.

Assuming they know what a 'book' is, of course...
Uppy
Ended up with the Blackpool stream and their co-commentator was unbelievably bitter. Ex-player (not sure who) but saying he used to hate playing against teams like us who just wanted to lump it forward and go route one all the time.
1985CTFC
Counting our chances we should have had 6 or 7 goals at least. Some really good chances, which have been rare this season. Not being wise after the event but was cringing when Keena stepped up for the penalty. He shouldn't be taking pens unless we are 3-0 up. But I will say Keena played well when he came on. Much better and started to look his old self. That was a vital pen being only 1-0 up. Luckily it didn't cost us. Longy should have took it I reckon.
But all was well so no complaints from me, they all played brilliantly except Southwood who had nowt to do. Lazy so and so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shade
Just watched the highlights. It was of course Lloyd that got fouled for the penalty. I probably just couldn't believe that he had it given. And Keena's penalty couldn't have been hit much better..it was right in the corner. Great save.

On another note, Ferry is back to his best, isn't he. He was fantastic tonight defensively and attacking. Williams returning to his role on the bench until injury or suspension lets him in.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 22:22 Was it Lloyd given the penalty? I thought it was Kinsella. It was our 7 on the ground.

Keena again with no luck. Thought he hit the penalty really well and it was heading in the corner, but the keeper guessed right and flew across. Other than that I thought he played well, made a couple of blocks, chased around and won 2 or 3 decent headers, and played Bonds in nicely, when he shot high and wide a couple of minutes before his second.

It was very noticeable the pressing he was doing and his all round contribution. He put in his best shift of the season
Garby74
I would agree Iherye.
Certainly wasn't a classic match.
They were poor.
So many really solid performances again last night.
I thought Pett drifted in and out last night. I hope he's not burning out a little.

Let's go again Saturday. That is massive 6 pointer
Horteng
Great result last night scoring two and keeping a clean sheet.

Still plenty of room for improvement too.

The table is looking not to bad at all considering we were 8 points adrift a couple of weeks ago albeit with games in hand.

The great escape is well and truly back on
Si Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:45 Counting our chances we should have had 6 or 7 goals at least. Some really good chances, which have been rare this season. Not being wise after the event but was cringing when Keena stepped up for the penalty. He shouldn't be taking pens unless we are 3-0 up. But I will say Keena played well when he came on. Much better and started to look his old self. That was a vital pen being only 1-0 up. Luckily it didn't cost us. Longy should have took it I reckon.
But all was well so no complaints from me, they all played brilliantly except Southwood who had nowt to do. Lazy so and so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to disagree with you, but I completely understand your point. If Keena isn't stepping up then I'm far more concerned. That he had the confidence to do it shows he still has belief in himself.

I was so gutted for him last night. I was willing him to just smash it down the middle. Then even when he hits it beautifully the keeper makes a great save (one of many to be fair to him).
Jerry St Clair
Hard to give player of the match to anyone but Bonds.

But I thought Ferry was a superb last night as he was poor against Wycombe. An outstanding reaction from him.
paperboy
Uppy wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:21 Ended up with the Blackpool stream and their co-commentator was unbelievably bitter. Ex-player (not sure who) but saying he used to hate playing against teams like us who just wanted to lump it forward and go route one all the time.
I usually take the opposition commentary and tbf he quite admired " going back to the good old days" tactics rather than the pretty, pretty stuff nowadays.
He was right when he said that we have a smallish pitch and we try and make it even smaller, whereas a so say better team has to make the pitch bigger and then earn the right to play..... and Blackpool clearly didn't.
Loved his mention of footballers spending hours on a coach to and from Burnley to visit the races.
That would clearly be frowned upon nowadays.
QED
Grimshaw’s save from that blockbuster Ferry volley was unbelievable. Perfect hit but even better save
Robin
Bit of a strange game in that Blackpool were technically better than us with the ball but didn't appear to have the same level of desire or fight especially after the first goal went in. From that point on only excellent goal keeping and pretty poor finishing kept the scoreline down. We played well, got the points but I have a nagging doubt that Blackpool were there for the taking and we face a much tougher test in what looks like a pivotal game for our season on Saturday so don't want to start getting too confident of the great escape just yet.
longmover
Uppy wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:21 Ended up with the Blackpool stream and their co-commentator was unbelievably bitter. Ex-player (not sure who) but saying he used to hate playing against teams like us who just wanted to lump it forward and go route one all the time.
That seems to be the general vibe with teams like blackpool, shat out quicker than they arrived for their one season in the prem and that's it, they now seem to think anything below that is below them. They're lower league fodder and that's all they ever will be.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 08:40
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:45 Counting our chances we should have had 6 or 7 goals at least. Some really good chances, which have been rare this season. Not being wise after the event but was cringing when Keena stepped up for the penalty. He shouldn't be taking pens unless we are 3-0 up. But I will say Keena played well when he came on. Much better and started to look his old self. That was a vital pen being only 1-0 up. Luckily it didn't cost us. Longy should have took it I reckon.
I'm going to disagree with you, but I completely understand your point. If Keena isn't stepping up then I'm far more concerned. That he had the confidence to do it shows he still has belief in himself.

I was so gutted for him last night. I was willing him to just smash it down the middle. Then even when he hits it beautifully the keeper makes a great save (one of many to be fair to him).
You may have agreed with me if we went on to draw or lose after the penalty. We need to be pragmatic in this particular case. Only 1-0 up and if they score at their home end, could have been curtains. He will score in open play sometime. 2 pens missed not ideal at the moment. All very well having belief but it didn't work. We deserved the win but we need to play the odds and let someone take the next.
QED
If Lloyd had taken it over Keena and it had been saved, this thread would be full of ‘if Keena’s not confident enough to step up and take a pen, he shouldn’t be playing’. The only regular taker we had on the field was Keena, anyone else would have been rolling the dice. And it was a good pen!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 09:08
I usually take the opposition commentary and tbf he quite admired " going back to the good old days" tactics rather than the pretty, pretty stuff nowadays.
He was right when he said that we have a smallish pitch and we try and make it even smaller, whereas a so say better team has to make the pitch bigger and then earn the right to play..... and Blackpool clearly didn't.
Loved his mention of footballers spending hours on a coach to and from Burnley to visit the races.
That would clearly be frowned upon nowadays.
I wonder if any Blackpool pundits and fans will bother listening to DC’s post match comments.

He described quite clearly he played Kinsella and Bonds as two “running number eights” to press Blackpool’s centre backs and stop them playing their usual game.

A bit of tactical genius, like Duff moving the wingbacks up and in vs Ipswich, that big team fans and pundits never seem to acknowledge or understand.
Si Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:11
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 08:40

You may have agreed with me if we went on to draw or lose after the penalty. We need to be pragmatic in this particular case. Only 1-0 up and if they score at their home end, could have been curtains. He will score in open play sometime. 2 pens missed not ideal at the moment. All very well having belief but it didn't work. We deserved the win but we need to play the odds and let someone take the next.
I'm sorry, but I absolutely would not have agreed with you. As QED says, of the players on the pitch, Aidan is the only one who has scored one for Cheltenham in a 90 minute game. He was the logical choice of taker.

That he didn't shy away from taking it is a good thing.

If it's the same scenario on Saturday, then I hope he has the balls to step up again.
Prestburyboy
I am a Blackpool fan who used to live in Cheltenham and loves the town. When I lived in Cheltenham (1998-2002) I went to lots of games at Whaddon Road in the era of Boka and Banksy referred to in the spirit of Cheltenham EFL 11 thread above.

When I was one of many boycotting Blackpool home games I took my son 80 miles to a number of CTFC games in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

So knowing CTFC a bit and our club a lot I though I would register and make a few comments.

From our perspective, last night was the culmination of a succession of awful away performances. Once the game settled down, Cheltenham played well and bossed the game. The majority of fans watching live (as I was) or on the stream were angry not because we were losing to CTFC but because we were passive from the start and showed no desire to impose ourselves on the game.

I would take issue with a couple of comments made on this thread. To say we were shat out of the EPL is rubbish. We got 39 points. That total would have kept us up most years. We were competitive entertaining and got a standing ovation at Old Trafford after our last game of the season. We fired shots unlike say Cardiff who got 30 points and bored the arse off everyone.

We were handicapped for over 30 years by the ownership of the Oystons. That ownership impacted on the size of our fan base. When we finally got a decent owner in 2019, we like everyone else had to deal with Covid. Over the earlier period of Oyston ownership we were lower league fodder but since 2007 we have spent more time in the top 2 divisions than the bottom 2.

So that’s my 2 gripes dealt with. I really hope Cheltenham stay up, it’s a great club. I hope that next season we come to Whaddon Road on a Saturday so I can have a few pints round Town before and after the game.
Ihearye
QED wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 09:08 Grimshaw’s save from that blockbuster Ferry volley was unbelievable. Perfect hit but even better save
Would have been surprised if it wasn't saved tbh. Well hit but straight at him
longmover
Prestburyboy wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 12:33 I am a Blackpool fan who used to live in Cheltenham and loves the town. When I lived in Cheltenham (1998-2002) I went to lots of games at Whaddon Road in the era of Boka and Banksy referred to in the spirit of Cheltenham EFL 11 thread above.

When I was one of many boycotting Blackpool home games I took my son 80 miles to a number of CTFC games in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

So knowing CTFC a bit and our club a lot I though I would register and make a few comments.

From our perspective, last night was the culmination of a succession of awful away performances. Once the game settled down, Cheltenham played well and bossed the game. The majority of fans watching live (as I was) or on the stream were angry not because we were losing to CTFC but because we were passive from the start and showed no desire to impose ourselves on the game.

I would take issue with a couple of comments made on this thread. To say we were shat out of the EPL is rubbish. We got 39 points. That total would have kept us up most years. We were competitive entertaining and got a standing ovation at Old Trafford after our last game of the season. We fired shots unlike say Cardiff who got 30 points and bored the arse off everyone.

We were handicapped for over 30 years by the ownership of the Oystons. That ownership impacted on the size of our fan base. When we finally got a decent owner in 2019, we like everyone else had to deal with Covid. Over the earlier period of Oyston ownership we were lower league fodder but since 2007 we have spent more time in the top 2 divisions than the bottom 2.

So that’s my 2 gripes dealt with. I really hope Cheltenham stay up, it’s a great club. I hope that next season we come to Whaddon Road on a Saturday so I can have a few pints round Town before and after the game.
You were in the prem for the shortest time possible, one season. therefore 'shatout'