Referee for Port Vale

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Sam Purkiss returns to Whaddon Road for the first time since Darrell Clarke's first home game against Fleetwood which now seems like a million years ago, but was actually last October.

Purkiss is notable for issuing two red cards in his last two Cheltenham assignments. Curtis Davies in the Fleetwood game and Charlie Raglan prior to that in the 1-0 win at Shrewsbury during Christmas 2022.

He was also responsible for sending off Tom McIntyre for Portsmouth last weekend in a clip that went viral and was, I think, mentioned on this forum.

Lots of other CTFC history over the years including the final game before the Covid lockdown - a 2-0 win at Colchester - when he sent off Colchester's Sowunmi.

Can you see a theme developing here?
Shade
Yep. Freestone's not lasting the 90 minutes.
Si Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:09 Sam Purkiss returns to Whaddon Road for the first time since Darrell Clarke's first home game against Fleetwood which now seems like a million years ago, but was actually last October.

Purkiss is notable for issuing two red cards in his last two Cheltenham assignments. Curtis Davies in the Fleetwood game and Charlie Raglan prior to that in the 1-0 win at Shrewsbury during Christmas 2022.

He was also responsible for sending off Tom McIntyre for Portsmouth last weekend in a clip that went viral and was, I think, mentioned on this forum.

Lots of other CTFC history over the years including the final game before the Covid lockdown - a 2-0 win at Colchester - when he sent off Colchester's Sowunmi.

Can you see a theme developing here?
Point of order - our final game before lockdown was the 0-0 home game with Port Vale
Jerry St Clair
Of course, you’re right. It was actually Purkiss’s last game before lockdown.
Malabus
Shade wrote:Yep. Freestone's not lasting the 90 minutes.
Yes, hard to disagree.
Jerry St Clair
Think he must have been hurt by the Portsmouth incident because he seemed very reluctant to get his cards out. Overall all i thought he was fairly calm and competent.
Shade
He was pretty c!#p in the first 20 minutes but seemed to wise up somewhat to what Vale, especially Chislett, was up to. Think I saw Longy having a word with the ref about him going down 6 times in the first 10 minutes and he didn't seem to get all that much after that. Still frustrating at times though.

Not sure how they didnt have more players booked when it was foul after foul after foul in the second half.