The board

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
The board get a lot of stick but they got the appointment of DC absolutely spot on. And with buying the training ground, we have another solid, trustworthy board, something a lot of clubs can only wish for.

Looking at the way we’ve been playing, who knows where we could be next season if we stay up and can keep the core players.
1985CTFC
There was only one outstanding candidate available in our price range with a good promotion record and that was DC. But we did well to convince him to come. David Artell was mentioned which we all new was not the one. Can't think of any others maybe Mark Bonner or Mark Kennedy were available, but any of us who know a bit about footy would have chosen DC mainly because of his man management and experience.
Just hope we can keep him.
ctfc-fan
How do you know who applied? I’ve not seen any list posted publicly? Or is that a thinly veiled dig that it wasn’t actually down to the board?
1985CTFC
I just knew there would be a dig coming back. I said the board did well. No official list of course there never is. All I said was that from what was available ie unattached managers and I mentioned 3 who were without a job, that DC in my opinion was by far the best with regard to experience and track records. I doubt you would have chosen Dave Artell. Not saying DA was interviewed but I bet he applied. Wasn't having a go at the board, they did the right thing and got him, now they have to support him for the future.
For me the board just need to give us some sort of plan for the future as Mark Halliwell has mentioned.
London Exile
Credit them on one hand for getting DC in but also I’m a little unsure why they didn’t relieve Wade of his duties a little sooner when it felt we were getting cut adrift.
That said, I guess we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors with pay off negotiations and courting new managers, the key thing is we’ve given ourselves a fighting chance of beating the drop.

Defo agree with CTF1985, come the end of the season I’d like to hear what the board plans for are for the future (which could be a bit easier if we find ourselves in L1 next season)
CS85
In my opinion there cant be any real plans,certainly not to take us forward.
That's not putting a downer on anything....but it all boils back to that one thing - investment, as it stands our crowds can't give us a bigger budget,our board members can't and certainly our non match day revenue can't.
The new stand will never happen without a Rich man/woman coming to invest heavily,until that day happens we will stay doing exactly what we are doing.
horlickfanclub
Future plans have been mentioned by Board members and at meetings. I think Mark Halliwell knows that
bigdavejambo
dodged a bullet with Artell - 2 wins from 14 at Grimsby
1985CTFC
horlickfanclub wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 14:47 Future plans have been mentioned by Board members and at meetings. I think Mark Halliwell knows that
Not what he said on the podcast, and I have never seen or heard of any. If we stay in Lg 1 I think we as fans and supporters should hear something about what the plans for the future are.
If you have any details please relay them to us all, also you said 'mention' that doesn't sound like a proper thought out detailed plan. But as we are in a state of flux at the moment, I'm happy to wait until season end to hear something, but not holding my breath.

Talk or more than that of Oxford building a new stadium......how do they manage that? We just need a stand at least.
1985CTFC
bigdavejambo wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 15:00 dodged a bullet with Artell - 2 wins from 14 at Grimsby
Probably a clever and nice bloke but doesn't seem to be able to galvanize a team.

If anyone can pick someone from the bookies list of about 20 possible candidates for the CTFC job at the time prior to the appointments, who was better than DC I would be interesting to see who. If anyone here was in Mr Bloxhams position and looked at that list most of us would probably have chosen DC. Whats called a no brainer in choice , credit to board for getting him to say yes.
CS85
1985CTFC wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 15:11
horlickfanclub wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 14:47 Future plans have been mentioned by Board members and at meetings. I think Mark Halliwell knows that
Not what he said on the podcast, and I have never seen or heard of any. If we stay in Lg 1 I think we as fans and supporters should hear something about what the plans for the future are.
If you have any details please relay them to us all, also you said 'mention' that doesn't sound like a proper thought out detailed plan. But as we are in a state of flux at the moment, I'm happy to wait until season end to hear something, but not holding my breath.

Talk or more than that of Oxford building a new stadium......how do they manage that? We just need a stand at least.
The only plans or targets I heard from the fans forum were for us to continue to survive at this level and maybe have a try and getting into the playoffs at somepoint.
1985CTFC
CS85 wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 15:21

The only plans or targets I heard from the fans forum were for us to continue to survive at this level and maybe have a try and getting into the playoffs at somepoint.
Not exactly what I would call detailed plans from the board. But as mentioned we should press as fans for some sort of details as to how the club will hope to move in the next 5 yrs at the end of this season. How we get some feedback from the board God knows. Any suggestions.
Why no information or secrecy over the years. will just assume there is no plans. One if in Lg1 and one in Lg 2.
ctfc-fan
DB has previously spoken openly on Radio Glos about hopefully developing the ground. It was when he first took over IIRC. As someone else mentioned, the money isn’t there to suddenly develop the ground.

However now we own Seasons we can use that for generating non-Matchday revenue. The bar is already used by local football clubs for their presentations and there is at least one business based there too renting office space. We may have had that revenue before depending on what the previous arrangement was but we definitely would have it now.
Ralph

Another one already? How old is the Kassam?
Ralph
bigdavejambo wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 15:00 dodged a bullet with Artell - 2 wins from 14 at Grimsby
And Grant M and Donny beat them 1-5 away. Grimsby needs to figure it out and quickly. I might be wrong but if they go down, that is their 4th visit to the National since we beat them in Cardiff? Possibly the 3rd time not 4th
Fuller
Ralph wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 19:14

I remember seeing us play at the Kassam in 2001/02 season. Sure we lost 0-3 but we got promoted that season, that may well have been there first or second season there. Everything looked spanking new then.
Last edited by Fuller on 18 Feb 2024, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
CS85

Kassam stadium opened in 2001.
asl
Fuller wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 19:30 I remember seeing us play at the Kassam in 2001/02 season. Sure we lost 0-3 but we got promoted that season, that may well have been there first or second season there. Everything looked spanking new then.
I think I was there, too. I remember looking right and thinking how good it will look once they complete the fourth side.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 19:39
Fuller wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 19:30 I remember seeing us play at the Kassam in 2001/02 season. Sure we lost 0-3 but we got promoted that season, that may well have been there first or second season there. Everything looked spanking new then.
I think I was there, too. I remember looking right and thinking how good it will look once they complete the fourth side.
Yep and what a God awful car park to get out of that night. Never again
asl
Two hours for the match - and about the same to get out the car park...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 19:39
I was there too. Stewards angrily marched up and barked at my kid brother and I to stop putting our feet up on the seat in front.

At that time there was nowhere decent near the ground to get food so we ended up going in the bowling alley for chips.
Jerry St Clair
CS85 wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 19:31

Kassam stadium opened in 2001.
They started building it in 1996. But ran out of money in 1997 so left it a half built carcass. At that point it was going to be called Minchery Farm. Then Firoz Kassam came in and the stadium was completed and opened in 2001. So it's getting on for 30 years since construction commenced.

Oxford fans hate it pretty much as much as visiting supporters. It's 4.5 miles from Oxford city centre and nearly 6 miles from their spiritual home of Headington. It'd be like us moving to a stadium in Churchdown.
ctfc-fan
Isn’t there talk of a total new stadium for Oxford to get them away from the Kassam?
asl
Yes. They're calling it The Triangle. On the Kidlington roundabout.
Si Robin
Kassam still owns the stadium and the rent is a noose around their neck. He won't sell it either because he owns all the land around the ground - including the complex next to it. As soon as Oxford move to The Triangle, the Kassam will be knocked down and it'll become just another part of Kassam's empire.
Jerry St Clair
The lease expires in 2026 and there is no offer of an extension. So, they have to leave the Kassam come what may the season after next.

The Triangle lease with the council has been agreed and approved, along with outline planning. Full planning is the final hurdle due in the coming months. They need to get moving otherwise they'll be looking for a ground share at a friendly local Football League club.........
1985CTFC
I would be interested to know how they are going to finance a brand new stadium. Seems other clubs manage to do it. As well as forking out 400K for a player!!
Si Robin
Their joint owners are worth $1.5bn and $1.2bn. I suspect that might be something to do with it.
asl
In addition, if you own - or will own - an asset, it's a lot easier to borrow money on it.
Shade
And what are the chances of us buying the ground from the council...?
Jerry St Clair
asl wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 22:10 In addition, if you own - or will own - an asset, it's a lot easier to borrow money on it.
Oxford will lease from the council as well.

They have a 250 year lease, we have about 78 years left on ours I think? I have no idea what difference that lease length makes in borrowing potential or to the borrowing costs.
Robin
Shade wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:54 And what are the chances of us buying the ground from the council...?
We tried too but it about 15 years ago but couldn't finance it at the time so ended up with a hundred year lease. Buying Cakebridge place land is far more realistic right now. Obviously the danger with buying the land is the club then attracts investors with an eye on it for redevelopment which has happened at many other clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 07:44
Shade wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:54 And what are the chances of us buying the ground from the council...?
We tried too but it about 15 years ago but couldn't finance it at the time so ended up with a hundred year lease. Buying Cakebridge place land is far more realistic right now. Obviously the danger with buying the land is the club then attracts investors with an eye on it for redevelopment which has happened at many other clubs.
The thing is, buying Cakebridge doesn’t alter the fact we don’t own the stadium and car park site.
Robin
No it doesn't but it would give us an asset which we can use short term for car parking space (less traffic on local roads would be favourable to the council I suspect) and it would mean we can build the new stand once funds are secured. I would suggest we can still buy the ground after building the main stand but if the Cakebridge place land becomes housing our long term future cannot realistically be at Whaddon Road hence it's a more pressing priority.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 22:04 Their joint owners are worth $1.5bn and $1.2bn. I suspect that might be something to do with it.
Isn't one of our owners a billionaire?
Wonder if the Oxford owners are life long Oxford supporters. If not are they building this stadium out of the goodness of their heart?
Just annoying seeing other clubs manage these things.