Sunderland 'til I die

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
For those of you with Netflix subscriptions, Whaddon Road makes a nice little cameo appearance in the latest series of Sunderland til I die. Episode 1 about 15 minutes in.

Boyle leading the team out, Owen Evans in goal, Alfie scoring, the red kit with white sleeves. It feels much longer than a mere two years ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shows how long two years is in football. Must seem a world away for Duff and Wade.

Pay packets aside, is anyone involved on the pitch and in the dugout for us that night in a better place now than they were then? Perhaps The Boy if he played but that’s it?
Jerry St Clair
Evans
Blair Raglan Pollock Boyle Williams
Ramsey Bonds Colkett
May Etete

Ben Williams is one of our longest serving players :shock: Who'd get in our current team?

Raglan probably
Pollock and Boyle arguably (but would you really drop Davies and Freestone?)
May and Etete definitely.

Other than that I wouldn't swap out any of the current lot.
QED
Etete looked a proper prospect, 6’ 5 and mobile, caused problems even if he didn’t score many. I suspect if he doesn’t add more goals to his game hell be back at our level soon enough - 2 all season at Cardiff.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 07:56 Evans
Blair Raglan Pollock Boyle Williams
Ramsey Bonds Colkett
May Etete

Ben Williams is one of our longest serving players :shock: Who'd get in our current team?

Raglan probably
Pollock and Boyle arguably (but would you really drop Davies and Freestone?)
May and Etete definitely.

Other than that I wouldn't swap out any of the current lot.
Raglan slightly fell out of favour as time went on, not sure who I would drop to bring him in. Probably a place on the bench
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 23:48 Shows how long two years is in football. Must seem a world away for Duff and Wade.

Pay packets aside, is anyone involved on the pitch and in the dugout for us that night in a better place now than they were then? Perhaps The Boy if he played but that’s it?
Surely Ramsey?
Shade
Rags was a good player for us but his distribution is not as good as the players we have now. Even when smacking it long it rarely seemed to find a teammate and his short passing was bad. I'd take Pollock, May and Etete, for A.Smith, Nuttall and Thomas, but only because we have barely seen any of those three.
Artemis
I'd take Matty Taylor over Etete every single time. And possibly over Alfie too.

As much as he played a big part of aour promotion, Raglan isn't a patch on Freestone, Shepherd or Davies.
Mattie Pollock, possibly for Shepherd or Freestone.
Jerry St Clair
Broadway Brian wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 12:27
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 23:48 Shows how long two years is in football. Must seem a world away for Duff and Wade.

Surely Ramsey?
Aaron Ramsey 2024 perhaps. Not Aaron Ramsey 2022.

He was ok, but no way I would ditch Sercs or Pett for him.
Jerry St Clair
Some players you just love for no obvious reason and I really loved Rags. Can’t argue with the dispassionate critique of his abilities though.
Broadway Brian
Jerry St Clair wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 15:17

Surely Ramsey?
Aaron Ramsey 2024 perhaps. Not Aaron Ramsey 2022.

He was ok, but no way I would ditch Sercs or Pett for him.
Agreed. Thought the question was who was in a better position now than then. However, also just read he’s been ruled out for the season so maybe not!

Twas a great night.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Surely Ramsey?
Great point. Completely forgot he played that game.