Wycombe Wanderers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
We can hardly complain and 7 wins looks a long way at the minute after the last two performances
QED
Glad to see the back of Wycombe
HamTown
QED wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:29 That all starts with Andy Smith’s error - he’s looked a bag of nerves since coming on.
Also the closest cheltenham player to Low
Shade
Well there we go. Wycombe just f#!$ toying with us for 85 minutes.

Hope we f#!$ wake up for Saturday. Absolute shite tonight.
Last edited by Shade on 27 Feb 2024, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
RS1978
Why on earth did I waste my money on this game?
robinsrule
Beaten by the better team tonight. We can’t afford to lose to teams around us.
CTFCfan99
We don't deserve anything and he's not the reason we lost but this referee is a certified c unt. He'll probably head into the Wycombe changing room after the match and line up to suck them all off the way he seems to adore them.
Jerry St Clair
Doesn’t change much. Didn’t expect anything tonight. A point would have been a bonus. Burton was, and remains a big, must win game.

We’ve been on a really good run since Christmas. Just two blips against Wycombe. Let’s keep our heads up.
CTFCfan99
Don't want to see Smith in the squad again. He's clearly not ready and why he's picked over Bradbury is a mystery. Promising signs from Thomas and Southwood has obviously had a good game but that's about it.
HamTown
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:39 Don't want to see Smith in the squad again. He's clearly not ready and why he's picked over Bradbury is a mystery. Promising signs from Thomas and Southwood has obviously had a good game but that's about it.
Right footed probably
HamTown
DC should say he got it wrong today. The tactics for the first 60 minutes and then Smith for Shepherd (unless it was enforced)
robinsrule
Overall it still hasn’t been a bad night for us…. if we win on Saturday. Cambridge, Burton and Shrewsbury have all lost which is great for us.
Shade
Beaten 2-0 by 12 men, could have been 6-0, and their player is still moaning at the ref at the end of the game.
robinsrule
I don’t really have any issues with the ref tonight. We were c!#p and got what we deserved.
robinsrule
And Fleetwood just equalised against Vale!
QED
Reasons to be cheerful:
- Southwood is a Championship keeper on sabbatical with us. Savour him while we can
- Thomas has something about him. Only a 30 minute cameo but it has been ages since we had a winger who likes to drop a shoulder and have a go

Reasons to not be cheerful:
- The crushing weight of reality that we’ve had two back to back away games where we’ve been way off it
1985CTFC
Needed a plan B. Banging it up against their 2 big CB wasn't going to work. Just hoping for a lucky break. But Wycombe a good strong defensive team. Shame really because we have footballers that can use the ball especially in midfield. Still only a point lost really. DC might have learnt something from the game. Thomas looked ok again. Makes it look easy to skip past people.
Anteros
QED wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:46 Reasons to be cheerful:
- Southwood is a Championship keeper on sabbatical with us. Savour him while we can
- Thomas has something about him. Only a 30 minute cameo but it has been ages since we had a winger who likes to drop a shoulder and have a go

- The crushing weight of reality that we’ve had two back to back away games where we’ve been way off it

Am I missing something? Wigan was good point away from home? No?
Jerry St Clair
We have two games in hand on the four teams above us. One on Burton. Beat Burton, win those and we go 17th regardless of what other teams do. Still well in the fight.
Shade
The Charlton game next Tuesday suddenly doesn't look as winnable as it did a couple of weeks ago.

Let's hope returning to WR against them and Burton is a return to a decent performance. Then again, I'd take another two fairly c!#p ones for all 3 points if I have to.
Shade
robinsrule wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:45 I don’t really have any issues with the ref tonight. We were c!#p and got what we deserved.
Yes, we were c!#p and got what we deserved. But the ref was still also c!#p with a capital c.

(It won't let me use a capital c)
QED
Anteros wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:53

Am I missing something? Wigan was good point away from home? No?
It was, but we burgled it rather than being anywhere near our best.
Malabus
And still Keena not much of a goal threat. Transfer list this summer, cut our losses.
CTFCfan99
Malabus wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 22:08 And still Keena not much of a goal threat. Transfer list this summer, cut our losses.
Nobody was a goal threat today tbf
Shade
Apparently we had 7 shots, none on target.

The 7 shots...Taylor had one first half that he sliced way wide. Long had a shot at the end that was never going anywhere. Um... Oh Taylor had the free kick that was deflected very high and wide. I think Davies had an effort from a corner that just a stretched leg out to it. And that's all I can remember.
1985CTFC
Having caught up with the teams above us, we seemed to have adopted a hang on and nick it style of play. But maybe Wigan and Wycombe who we have played away from home are tough fixtures, so 2 points would have been good, 1 point better than nothing. Season will be defined by other games like Burton,Fleetwood, Carlisle and Charlton. etc. Last 6 games 10 points,
Shade
Yeah 10/18 in February can't be sniffed at. Pressure is on a bit now to take 3 against Burton, though.
Garby74
Really poor performances.
Shame really as quite a few of us made the trip and we're in good voice.

The ref was awful but that's is no the norm.

Luke was amazing and kept it respectable.

I worry slightly that DC hesitates slightly.
We could sense a goal for them andvthe subs were ready. We need to be proactive no reactive.

First high press was far to late in the game but got results. The 20 minute spell was unlucky not to yield a goal for us.

Enough of the hoff ball were better than that....and far to small up top!
Horteng
Really disappointed that we have rolled over twice now when we have the opportunity to get out of the bottom 4.....
Benhall-Robin
Another poor showing, after Wigan I'd have hoped for a reaction and an improved performance. What is clear is that Wycombe are better than us and dealt with us very comfortably. The tactic was bizarre, we were getting nowhere with the long punts to the strikers and we were too deep to pick up the second ball, therefore waves of pressure and the inevitable goal did eventually come.

Other than Charlton the other results were good.

We need to be right at it on Saturday.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 22:38 Having caught up with the teams above us, we seemed to have adopted a hang on and nick it style of play. But maybe Wigan and Wycombe who we have played away from home are tough fixtures, so 2 points would have been good, 1 point better than nothing. Season will be defined by other games like Burton,Fleetwood, Carlisle and Charlton. etc. Last 6 games 10 points,
I don’t think we have intentionally adopted a different style. Just a couple of off nights.
Broadway Brian
Garby74 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 23:49 Really poor performances.

We could sense a goal for them andvthe subs were ready. We need to be proactive no reactive.

First high press was far to late in the game but got results. The 20 minute spell was unlucky not to yield a goal for us.

It’s always interesting how we see the game differently.

My criticism of DC (if I were to have any) would be that he often makes changes too early. So hesitancy wouldn’t come into it for me - Wade was overtly cautious / hesitant I thought.

For example, I thought the changes v Derby away did for us, along with the ref.

Also, Luke Southwood was tremendous at shot stopping last night, culminating in the penalty save, but his lack of confidence / dominance on crosses is costing us goals. It’s a conundrum. He was glued to his line on that first goal.

Anyway, we can’t expect to dominate every game, so on to the next one.

We win games by winning the midfield battle and last night we didn’t.
HamTown
Broadway Brian wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 08:48
Garby74 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 23:49 Really poor performances.

It’s always interesting how we see the game differently.

My criticism of DC (if I were to have any) would be that he often makes changes too early. So hesitancy wouldn’t come into it for me - Wade was overtly cautious / hesitant I thought.

For example, I thought the changes v Derby away did for us, along with the ref.

Also, Luke Southwood was tremendous at shot stopping last night, culminating in the penalty save, but his lack of confidence / dominance on crosses is costing us goals. It’s a conundrum. He was glued to his line on that first goal.

Anyway, we can’t expect to dominate every game, so on to the next one.

We win games by winning the midfield battle and last night we didn’t.
Aswell as the wingbacks being pinned back
longmover
Evidently there was a scout from Liverpool at the game last night.

Jordan Thomas?
Jerry St Clair
Despite the improvement and positivity since DC came in, the reality is that we are definitely the cheapest and one of the poorest squads in the division. We are going to have games like this from time to time and there will be more before the season is out. Luckily, they are few and far between under DC - Wimbledon, Northampton and Wycombe x 2. Every other game we've competed in.

Lets not over-react.