Barnsley v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, updates and reaction all here this afternoon:
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... ve-9169989
1985CTFC
What I am about to say may sound harsh to some people but after reading the interview with Aiden and him saying :-
he has stressed that he is not feeling the pressure when it comes to opening his account for the season, despite his team being 36 games into their League One campaign.

Well all I can say he should be. Supporters are paying his wages this season and he has not paid any of us back.
Both Lloydy and Aiden and to some extent Joe N have got us in to this goal scoring drought, and they need to now step up and start scoring. I don't want to hear they have run around and put some sweat on the shirt I want to see them on the score sheet. So starting today, no excuses they have to score, pressure or no pressure.
Make yourselves heros for the day and for the rest of the season.

As Sean Bean famously said - DO IT FOR CHELTENHAMSHIRE!!!!!
Nham68
1985CTFC wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 14:01 What I am about to say may sound harsh to some people but after reading the interview with Aiden and him saying :-
he has stressed that he is not feeling the pressure when it comes to opening his account for the season, despite his team being 36 games into their League One campaign.

Well all I can say he should be. Supporters are paying his wages this season and he has not paid any of us back.
Both Lloydy and Aiden and to some extent Joe N have got us in to this goal scoring drought, and they need to now step up and start scoring. I don't want to hear they have run around and put some sweat on the shirt I want to see them on the score sheet. So starting today, no excuses they have to score, pressure or no pressure.

It’s a media interview though . I can’t for a minute believe he doesn’t feel the pressure . What people say to camera / interview doesn’t always correlate with internal feelings. You only need to look at Westminster for daily examples .
1985CTFC
Nham68 wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 14:23
1985CTFC wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 14:01 What I am about to say may sound harsh to some people but after reading the interview with Aiden and him saying :-

It’s a media interview though . I can’t for a minute believe he doesn’t feel the pressure . What people say to camera / interview doesn’t always correlate with internal feelings. You only need to look at Westminster for daily examples .
No doubt you are right but I don't want to hear that.
Shade
A start for Sloggett ahead of Sercs, Bonds and Harrop. He looked pretty combative when he came on last week. Until we scored. Same as everyone else.

Freestone and Lloyd back in, so it feels like we have a bit more grit and running than last week. Shepherd ineligible against his parent club, of course.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 14:51 A start for Sloggett ahead of Sercs, Bonds and Harrop. He looked pretty combative when he came on last week. Until we scored. Same as everyone else.

Freestone and Lloyd back in, so it feels like we have a bit more grit and running than last week. Shepherd ineligible against his parent club, of course.
Hope Sloggett shows some composure, and not get carried away and dive in and get sent off. First start and trying to impress. A goal from him would help!!
Shade
Even when Keena hits them sweet as a nut towards the bottom corner the keeper manages to finger tip it away. Poor guy just can't get any luck at all.

Think Sloggett's been ok so far apart from one mix up that nearly cost us a goal.
Shade
Can't be mad with 0-0 at half time. Chances at either end, although Barnsley's have been greater. Barnsley showing they're better with the ball but our percentage balls forward with Lloydy's pressure, and Keena's to an extent, have been getting us decent territory to work from. I've said this a hell of a lot this season, but we just need a bit of luck.

2 efforts from Keena, one a stretching volley from 25 yards that went a couple of yards wide of the near post after a Lloyd knock down and one after he found space at the edge of the area and drew a full length dive from Barnsley's keeper. At the other end, Southwood has made 3 or 4 crucial stops, Smith made a crucial tackle when Barnsley were breaking two on one, and a goal ruled out for offside.
1985CTFC
Lloydy, Keena be a hero...get a goal .....lets just have a split second of quality.
CTFCfan99
Goals to be had at both ends. We can definitely get something from this. Just need that bit of luck that we've been waiting for all bloody season
Garby74
Finely balanced game.
Been impressed with Slogatt and Smith.
Good to have Freestone back.
Bring on Thomas early in second half and go for it.
Personally I have no problem with Keena interview. Pressure doesn't help anyone. He's been tad unlucky...Great save keeper
Shade
The way the scores are at HT, it's looking increasingly like Cambridge and Burton are the teams to be caught, if any.
Shade
When was the last time we benefitted from an own goal or a mistake at the back from the oppo? Anyone?
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 16:10 When was the last time we benefitted from an own goal or a mistake at the back from the oppo? Anyone?
Sending off would help as well.
Shade
Shame Cosgrove has gone off. Cole will probably be a lot more dangerous.
CTFCfan99
Keena having a great game, linking up well and getting into the right positions. Just needs that goal
Shade
Bonds for Sloggett. Knowing Bonds, this could go one of two ways. Does nothing or rattles in a 30 yard screamer.
Shade
By the way, and I know it's way too early, but after all the talk of leaky defences and Barnsley always score, wouldn't 0-0 be typical.
Shade
Shade wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 16:28 Bonds for Sloggett. Knowing Bonds, this could go one of two ways. Does nothing or rattles in a 30 yard screamer.
So far looks like the former.
Garby74
Sloggatt better then Bonds IMO.
Bonds only player going backwards under DC
Shade
Would rather have seen Thomas on for Keena instead of Nuttall and Harrop for Pett, and just Thomas play where he wants around the front.
Shade
If we're putting a free kick into the back post, why haven't we got anyone in the middle for when it gets knocked back across goal?! That's where we're missing a fox in the box like Taylor I suppose.
1985CTFC
100% concentration lads. Don't throw it away.
1985CTFC
Game management now ...pleeeeze lads
Shade
What the f#!$ did Kinsella do that for...
1985CTFC
Phew done it. Well done to all
Garby74
Take that away
CTFCfan99
There are good draws and bad draws. Burton the other week was a bad draw, that was a bloody good one. Burton and Cambridge keep losing, vale showing no signs of life, Fleetwood picking up the odd point but probably running out of games. Reading and shrews should be safe now.
Shade
Phew. We'll take that bonus point. Maybe we had a bit of luck in that Barnsley had an off day in front of goal the few times they had decent chances.

A much better performance with grit and determination. Lloyd's chasing was superb as usual, Keena had a good game and was unlucky not to score yet again.
1985CTFC
Good defensive performance against a free scoring team. No mean FEET!
Shade
Cambridge shipped 10 goals this week...I wonder if Gary Monk might be under threat of the sack already.

Some hope renewed the longer he's there, surely.
1985CTFC
CTFCfan99 wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 17:02 There are good draws and bad draws. Burton the other week was a bad draw, that was a bloody good one. Burton and Cambridge keep losing, vale showing no signs of life, Fleetwood picking up the odd point but probably running out of games. Reading and shrews should be safe now.
Yep like to think one of us , Burton and Cambridge for the last spot. We have shown some fight, which is what you need. Cambridge in meltdown now.
Broadway Brian
Jeez, haven’t been that nervous for a while towards the end. Some great defending and a shame JT couldn’t make a decent connection on that free-kick towards the end.

Great point in the circumstances and we’re still alive.

Burton away feels massive. Lincoln at home makes me gulp.

Rest up lads and keep going.
Broadway Brian
Fleetwood away as well. Forgot.
Shade
We basically have 4 games we should be confident of winning and points from the others are bonuses. Hopefully Fleetwood will ease off and that will be enough for us to get above Cambridge (and Burton)
Last edited by Shade on 16 Mar 2024, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.