The last two.- standing package

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Similarly to the Christmas deal, the club are doing a terrace ticket package for Lincoln and Peterborough. £30 for adults, £10 for kids. Great initiative. Get them in for, what could be, two huge games.
Warwickshire Robin
Pleased to see this and is a very good initiative.

However, was very disappointed to read today that Exeter have been given the 1,500 allocation for the game on Easter Monday (of which they apparently only have around 100 left for sale). Cannot believe we are handicapping ourselves again allowing such a big away following in a crucial game.
Fuller
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 12:35 Pleased to see this and is a very good initiative.

However, was very disappointed to read today that Exeter have been given the 1,500 allocation for the game on Easter Monday (of which they apparently only have around 100 left for sale). Cannot believe we are handicapping ourselves again allowing such a big away following in a crucial game.
Probably making hay whilst we can. We all know away fan gate revenue will be down by a very large percentage if we get relegated.
Need a new stand blah blah blah……
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 12:35 Pleased to see this and is a very good initiative.

Clowns
longmover

not just with the vocal support but ref's always bow to big away followings.
Jerry St Clair
Fuller wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 13:15

Probably making hay whilst we can. We all know away fan gate revenue will be down by a very large percentage if we get relegated.
Exeter were initially only given the Hazlewoods and sold out very quickly.

Alas there are still plenty of tickets available in the CF for home fans. Even in the central blocks. I can understand why they don't want to turn away guaranteed income when Exeter asked for more tickets.
Warwickshire Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 14:36

Alas there are still plenty of tickets available in the CF for home fans. Even in the central blocks. I can understand why they don't want to turn away guaranteed income when Exeter asked for more tickets.
Can see that to a point but how much are we actually going to make by selling those seats? 400 seats at say £20 average is £8k and that assumes those seats would remain unsold with still 2 weeks to go until that game. Is that really worth it to give away a good portion of home advantage which is needed to try to help in our battle for survival against a direct rival??
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 15:16

Can see that to a point but how much are we actually going to make by selling those seats? 400 seats at say £20 average is £8k and that assumes those seats would remain unsold with still 2 weeks to go until that game. Is that really worth it to give away a good portion of home advantage which is needed to try to help in our battle for survival against a direct rival??
hand out the big red shoes, total clowns who will use the loss of 2 years ago to justify any idiotic decision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 16:51

hand out the big red shoes, total clowns who will use the loss of 2 years ago to justify any idiotic decision b
No Fanta for me pre-match then. Partly because the canteen will be too busy before kick off and partly because the toilets will be inaccessible at HT due to overcrowding.

No half time pop-up bar sales for Iglu in the Block 7 canteen. Iglu have put real effort into improving the food and drink offer to home fans. Setting up that little draught bar up was very enterprising and one of the best additions at the ground for many years. Yet home fans are going to be denied access and Iglu won’t be able to open it, on Easter Monday, in what could be a pivotal match.

We must be one of the only clubs who actively takes steps to make the Easter Monday matchday offer and experience worse for those with the most expensive tickets and most expensive season tickets.
Jerry St Clair

We sat in Block 6 for the Charlton game and there were 17 people in it including me and my son (I know, I counted us all). 7 and 8 were empty, except for two St John's Ambulance guys.

I know it's different circumstances - an evening game on a school night versus a bank holiday fixture. But even so I totally understand taking the dosh from Exeter.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:56

We sat in Block 6 for the Charlton game and there were 17 people in it including me and my son (I know, I counted us all). 7 and 8 were empty, except for two St John's Ambulance guys.

I know it's different circumstances - an evening game on a school night versus a bank holiday fixture. But even so I totally understand taking the dosh from Exeter.
indeed, nothing like giving the team any small advantage that may help them get one of their needed wins. Clowns
Jerry St Clair
Ihearye wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 21:34 indeed, nothing like giving the team any small advantage that may help them get one of their needed wins. Clowns
Steady on. I happen to agree that the CF should be for home fans only and that the club should work to fill it for every game (as it was for Port Vale).

But it's possible to disagree with a decision while also understanding the logic behind it.
WhaddonIrregular
I wish we could have it for home fans only but I guess unless we can guarantee to fill it the club are always going to take the guaranteed money of an away club rather than risk not selling to home fans and turning away cash.
I agree with Jerry, as soon as I saw the empty spaces for Burton and Charlton - two massive games - I knew they'd give it to Bristol Rovers. Surprised Exeter are bringing that many though, can't remember them travelling in those numbers before?
PCrobin
There were a lot of them (enough to take up some of the CF) last season. Few idiots ran on the pitch and chucked a flare when they equalised. Which put their team off just enough to let Caleb put us 2-1 up from our next corner...oh how we laughed..😁
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 07:06
Ihearye wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 21:34 indeed, nothing like giving the team any small advantage that may help them get one of their needed wins. Clowns
Steady on. I happen to agree that the CF should be for home fans only and that the club should work to fill it for every game (as it was for Port Vale).

But it's possible to disagree with a decision while also understanding the logic behind it.
It is indeed very possible to understand it, but also have the opinion that the logic behind it is flawed. The talk of turning Whaddon road into a hostile environment, not a nice place to come to etc. It soon goes out the window when a few £££ are waved in the air. If everything boils down to money, I would quite happily pay a tenner to let a kid come in free to the CF, for the few remaining bigger games, if it meant the away support did not get blocks 7 & 8. I guess even if we sold out block 7 that would stop block 8 getting handed over.
Totally understand if the need for £8000 or so is that critical. My overriding wish is that if we do end up going down, it is not at home with a full house of away support. Maybe send out comms to give us the option of donating a few quid, to prevent the away teams getting the CF. And more importantly RCS could then get his fanta!!!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 10:33

It is indeed very possible to understand it, but also have the opinion that the logic behind it is flawed. The talk of turning Whaddon road into a hostile environment, not a nice place to come to etc. It soon goes out the window when a few £££ are waved in the air. If everything boils down to money, I would quite happily pay a tenner to let a kid come in free to the CF, for the few remaining bigger games, if it meant the away support did not get blocks 7 & 8. I guess even if we sold out block 7 that would stop block 8 getting handed over.
Totally understand if the need for £8000 or so is that critical. My overriding wish is that if we do end up going down, it is not at home with a full house of away support. Maybe send out comms to give us the option of donating a few quid, to prevent the away teams getting the CF. And more importantly RCS could then get his fanta!!!!!
Also, if it is always open then I personally think numbers would increase overtime.

How many people turned away on Bank Holiday Monday, or who experience the unpleasant half time crush, will bother rushing to buy tickets for the next game.

An emptyish block 8 also provides flexibility to ST holders. Say on Easter Monday, or Boxing Day, or for a birthday a friend or family member wants to come. If they get a seat in 7 or 8 and there are empty seats next to them it means an ST holder from elsewhere in the stand can go and join them. Might encourage more social groups to attend.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 21 Mar 2024, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 13:23
Ihearye wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 10:33

Also, if it is always open then I personally think numbers would increase overtime.

How many people turned away on Bank Holiday Monday, or who experience the unpleasant half time crush, will bother rushing to buy tickets for the next game.

An emptyish block 8 also provides flexibility to ST holders. Say on Easter Monday, or Boxing Day, or for a birthday a friend or family member wants to come. If they get a in 7 or 8 and there are empty seats next to them it means an ST holder from elsewhere in the stand can go and join them. Might encourage more social groups to attend.
Last point is so relevant, many times if I have my family or friends staying over they would come to a match and in order to sit together they would often but any seat available, but we pop down to the higher blocks to sit together. If blocks 7 and 8 have been handed over, I just dander down on my own and they go out for a drink
Warwickshire Robin
In fact I may even go to the other extreme in this particular situation and give the away fans blocks 7/8 in the CF only and have the Hazelwoods for home fans. Do a big advertising campaign on social media etc. maybe kids for a tenner and get as much of the ground CTFC as possible to get behind the team in the hour of need.

How often are we as away fans shoved into the worst corner of the ground, about time we did it to the opposition instead!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 15:27 In fact I may even go to the other extreme in this particular situation and give the away fans blocks 7/8 in the CF only and have the Hazelwoods for home fans. Do a big advertising campaign on social media etc. maybe kids for a tenner and get as much of the ground CTFC as possible to get behind the team in the hour of need.

How often are we as away fans shoved into the worst corner of the ground, about time we did it to the opposition instead!
Hmm. To me that sounds like the worst of both worlds. Home fans in the CF will have six blocks of people crammed into just half the facilities every game - which is the number one reason for never giving away fans Blocks 7 & 8 and would certainly lead to people questioning whether they wanted to renew season tickets.

Meanwhile fans behind the goal in the Hazlewoods will have the worst facilities in the ground, with just a tea hut and not even a concourse area.

Yet away fans have an afternoon of luxury with just two blocks of fans having half the facilities.

If we do want away fans to only have a small section, give them the half of the Hazlewoods closest to the canteen and give home the half nearest the CF. The home fans can then come round and use the full CF facilities.
Jerry St Clair
League rules stipulate a minimum 10% of ground capacity for away fans. So 700 in our case.

Blocks 6, 7, and 8 hold circa 500 so I think that'd be a non-starter (regardless of the other problems with it pointed out by RCS).