Stevenage away last day

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Stevenage away now kicks off at 12.30.
All League One games kick off at that time on the 27th April.
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2024/march/ki ... stevenage/
Shade
No surprise I suppose, but this is a massive pain in the ass for me. I'm already missing the Peterborough game that week as I'd already booked a week away for the day after what was due to be our last home game of the season, and was going to be able to watch the Saturday game at 3pm, but not sure I'll be able to with it being 12:30. Bloody TV messing the schedule up. Wonder what it's going to be like the next few years with games on Sky. A little glimpse at what it's like to be a fan of a PL or Championship team, never able to guarantee a fixture will kick off when it's billed for from one month to the next when Sky or TNT make their picks.
Horteng
Shade wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 18:14 No surprise I suppose, but this is a massive pain in the ass for me. I'm already missing the Peterborough game that week as I'd already booked a week away for the day after what was due to be our last home game of the season, and was going to be able to watch the Saturday game at 3pm, but not sure I'll be able to with it being 12:30. Bloody TV messing the schedule up. Wonder what it's going to be like the next few years with games on Sky. A little glimpse at what it's like to be a fan of a PL or Championship team, never able to guarantee a fixture will kick off when it's billed for from one month to the next when Sky or TNT make their picks.
I thought its more to do with promotion/ relegation across the leagues and thats why they stagger the KO's?
Broadway Brian
More time in the boozer to celebrate the Great Escape…
Shade
Horteng wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 18:42
Shade wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 18:14 No surprise I suppose, but this is a massive pain in the ass for me. I'm already missing the Peterborough game that week as I'd already booked a week away for the day after what was due to be our last home game of the season, and was going to be able to watch the Saturday game at 3pm, but not sure I'll be able to with it being 12:30. Bloody TV messing the schedule up. Wonder what it's going to be like the next few years with games on Sky. A little glimpse at what it's like to be a fan of a PL or Championship team, never able to guarantee a fixture will kick off when it's billed for from one month to the next when Sky or TNT make their picks.
I thought its more to do with promotion/ relegation across the leagues and thats why they stagger the KO's?
No, it's because Sky want to show a game or two that is crucial to promotion/relegation but they can't do that if they kick off at 3pm on a Saturday due to the blackout. As every game has to kick off at the same time, being the last game of the season, they move them all to 12:30. Same reason they've moved the final Championship games a week later to 12:30 on the Saturday as well.
Jerry St Clair
We've got this pencilled in if survival is riding on it. Could an end-of-days game or.a dead rubber,

If it's the former, worth bearing in mind that the Lamex has an away allocation of 1400. Any danger of us troubling that? Have we ever taken that sort of number to an away league game?
CTFCfan99
Jerry St Clair wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:51 We've got this pencilled in if survival is riding on it. Could an end-of-days game or.a dead rubber,

If it's the former, worth bearing in mind that the Lamex has an away allocation of 1400. Any danger of us troubling that? Have we ever taken that sort of number to an away league game?
I can't often make games home or away, but I'll be making the trek to Stevenage if survival depends on it and I'd hope plenty of other non-regulars would too. 1400 may be pushing it mind.
Si Robin
I've always wondered how many we took to Notts County on the final day in 02/03. I remember their PA guy saying that it was nice to see the stand full for a change and the stand we were in holds 5,400.

I'm sure we took over 1,000, but I've never seen a figure (perhaps JP or Paul Godfrey could help). The overall attendance was 9,710.
Broadway Brian
Always make the last game of the season - home or away. Usually great weather and typically a mix of celebration and sadness at some of the goodbyes to players. I guess I need the closure.

Really enjoyed Cambridge a couple of seasons ago although there was nothing really riding on it. Felt like the end of an era.
robinsrule
Felt like we had about 2000 at Notts that day but hard to say although we made plenty of noise. We took 1300 to Southend on the last day of the season when we were first pushing for the playoffs and 1800 to Plymouth when we went up automatically but other than Forest Green I don’t recall us taking more than 1000 anywhere off the top of my head for a league game (other than the fabled day at Rushden of course).
CS85
Definitely over 2000 for notts county away,their average att that season was 6,200 and it was around 3000 higher on the last day so we'd have taken a good number.
Only other game that hasn't been mentioned when taking over a 1000 would be mansfield away on a Tuesday night,both going to the autos and it was towards end of season under cotts.
horlickfanclub
Meanwhile the Stevenage Chairman has increased his shareholding.
"Stevenage FC have confirmed the issue of 30,000 New Ordinary Shares at £35 for a total consideration of £1,050,000…

All of these shares have been taken up by majority owner Phil Wallace, taking his holding to just over 95% in the League One club.

Mr Wallace said, “By issuing New Shares to fund the Club short term, this is not a repayable debt and 100% of the investment goes into the Club to strengthen the Balance Sheet.

“We are essentially debt-free and our ambition to compete for promotion each year, whilst remaining solvent, is an interesting challenge.

“The case for a re-distribution of funding from the Premier League into the EFL to provide sustainability and allow us to continue to play a crucial and active part in our local community, is needed more than ever”.
Fuller
robinsrule wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 18:21 Felt like we had about 2000 at Notts that day but hard to say although we made plenty of noise. We took 1300 to Southend on the last day of the season when we were first pushing for the playoffs and 1800 to Plymouth when we went up automatically but other than Forest Green I don’t recall us taking more than 1000 anywhere off the top of my head for a league game (other than the fabled day at Rushden of course).
Sorry to be pedantic but the only time we went up automatically from League Two to League One was during Covid so no fans.
I was at Southend and that was a good day out in the spring sunshine despite the result. We were given seat numbers but everyone sat where they liked! And I was at Rushden and was one of the 600 Robins fans that got in eventually. So was there 400 locked out?
Best FA Cup support was around 5,000 to WBA and Spurs. What brilliant times they were.
Si Robin
I think RR meant when we had a chance to go up automatically but lost 2-0 to Plymouth on the last day.

I was there that day and didn't realise we had taken so many.
bigdavejambo
if we win then Steve Evans will blame the referee
Si Robin
He can blame God, his mum, DC, the ref, the ref's assistants, the FA and EFL for not wanting Stevenage in the playoffs, etc, etc... as long as we bloody win!