Jordan Thomas

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Uppy
Understandably bitter disappointed but it looks like the team have found something there. Can’t wait for him to be up to fitness because he has a natural ability to go past defenders that we haven’t had for a long time. Could be a very valuable player for us.
Shade
Uppy wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:47 Understandably bitter disappointed but it looks like the team have found something there. Can’t wait for him to be up to fitness because he has a natural ability to go past defenders that we haven’t had for a long time. Could be a very valuable player for us.
After a pre-season at this level, or the level below, I think he's going to be an absolute joy to watch. He's only been a pro for a couple of months. Imagine what he will be like after 7+ months of doing football for a living.
Malabus
Brilliant player, no fear. Harshly treated by the corruption of Stephen Martin today.
everyman
He hasn`t had his natural instintistics coached out of him ?
longmover
Exeter couldn't cope with him at all all they could do was bully kick and foul. He changed the game when he came on a delight to watch and really gets the home crowd going.
1985CTFC
As slippery as an eel ! Just looks like he is a ghost and just runs through the opposition players, supernatural!
Must be a chant there ....super super supernatural Jordan Thomas....first chant I have ever made up in all my years
1985CTFC
Still think we should play him up front at times, or a licence to roam across the front. Played on the right for Bath as well.
Him having the ball at his feet in and around the box would cause a lot of problems and may create space for others.
longmover
A the moment still think he's at his best (and do most damage) with the ball half way into the oppositions half, his shooting needs work but don't want him worrying about that at the moment. If only we had Street and Taylor fit!!!!
Jim
Whisper it quietly, but he could be the real deal. I'm always amazed by how easily he drifts past players, that's a natural ability you can't really teach. I worry that teams may cotton on to him the more he plays, or that he may lose some of that fearlessness, but right now I'd say he is a fantastic prospect.

Let's hope he has an incredible season next year - there's a seven-figure player there if he progresses how we all hope.
HamTown
He looks like a really good pickup. We'll done Mr Milton after the flack he's got this season.

My only question is, if he is a starter how does DC accommodate him in our current system? I'd hate to see him converted to a wing back
Jim
HamTown wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 12:13 He looks like a really good pickup. We'll done Mr Milton after the flack he's got this season.

My only question is, if he is a starter how does DC accommodate him in our current system? I'd hate to see him converted to a wing back
I agree it would be a waste and a risk to convert him to a wing back. We looked good after the change of shape yesterday and I think that's where we'll get the best out of him. DC seems to like him out on the left, but I think he can also play on the right of a front 3.

I'm not sure I see him starting just yet, but if he kicks on next season, we'd need to go 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 to accommodate him.

From what I can tell, DC is the ultimate pragmatist and he doesn't seem to have a favourite formation over his managerial career. He's stuck with 5-3-2 because that's how the squad is built, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an overhaul and change of shape over the summer.
Artemis
He's a winger in a 4 4 2 or 4 3 3, which is why he was so effective when the shape changed second half.
It will be interesting to see if DC sticks with the 4 at the back.
horlickfanclub
I prefer four at the back but only with a proper four in the middle for width and to protect the full backs.
HamTown
Does Davies have the legs to play in a back 4 though? Think that'll be on the forefront of DCs mind
Shade
HamTown wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 16:11 Does Davies have the legs to play in a back 4 though? Think that'll be on the forefront of DCs mind
Think he might have that dilemma solved for him as I think Davies will retire, or maybe drop down and go part-time if he wants to keep playing. Will Davies be a League One player when he turns 40?

Even if he doesn't retire, I can't see DC keeping him on for another season. His wages must be pretty high and he said himself he only came here because his mate Wade was in charge. Although he has brought experience and has had good games, I think he's at the level of most L1 centre backs now so could probably be replaced for a faster, younger, cheaper player.
HamTown
Shade wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 16:35
HamTown wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 16:11 Does Davies have the legs to play in a back 4 though? Think that'll be on the forefront of DCs mind
Think he might have that dilemma solved for him as I think Davies will retire, or maybe drop down and go part-time if he wants to keep playing. Will Davies be a League One player when he turns 40?

Even if he doesn't retire, I can't see DC keeping him on for another season. His wages must be pretty high and he said himself he only came here because his mate Wade was in charge. Although he has brought experience and has had good games, I think he's at the level of most L1 centre backs now so could probably be replaced for a faster, younger, cheaper player.
Would agree with all that but should have said I was thinking about this season, was alot easier to take him off Monday and go to 4 as he was really below his recent form first half
1985CTFC
Jim wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 12:26
HamTown wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 12:13 He looks like a really good pickup. We'll done Mr Milton after the flack he's got this season.

I agree it would be a waste and a risk to convert him to a wing back. We looked good after the change of shape yesterday and I think that's where we'll get the best out of him. DC seems to like him out on the left, but I think he can also play on the right of a front 3.

I'm not sure I see him starting just yet, but if he kicks on next season, we'd need to go 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 to accommodate him.

From what I can tell, DC is the ultimate pragmatist and he doesn't seem to have a favourite formation over his managerial career. He's stuck with 5-3-2 because that's how the squad is built, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an overhaul and change of shape over the summer.
Looking at what we may have next season, forward wise Matty, Street, Keena and Josh, plus any others 4 3 3 would allow us to choose any 3 from how many forwards we have. Nice variety of players there. Easier to fit Josh in to a 4 3 3 or maybe 4 2 3 1. Playing 4 at the back maybe we would only need a player less at CB cover and use the extra player(s) some where else in a more positive goal scoring role.
ie if we have 2 for each position we go with 4 CB instead of the 5 we had this year to cover 3 places, if you get me,
Use the extra man to make 6 players to choose from up front in a 4 3 3 .

So roughly 8 defenders, 6 forwards, 6 midfielders and 3 keepers making 23 players. plus any fringe youngsters.
Think I explained myself!!

Nothing against 532 but maybe a change needed to score more goals, a thing Chelts not done since the G Johnson promotion season . We have been poor goalscorers for a long while.