Darrel Clarke after Carlisle defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Last edited by Jon Palmer on 09 Apr 2024, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Warwickshire Robin
After match presser should have consisted of one word and one word only........ Sorry.
bigdavejambo
is it just me that thinks he looks drained and fed up?
Nesty
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 22:11 After match presser should have consisted of one word and one word only........ Sorry.
I could think of a few more one word answers !!!!
horlickfanclub
bigdavejambo wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 10:55 is it just me that thinks he looks drained and fed up?
I think most of us are after that but it was him that set the team up in a disasterous way and he knows it. Bounce back and beat Bristol Rovers and Burton then we will all pick up again.
longmover
“keep it simple”

by changing to a new formation with a day on the training pitch prior to the game. Why not just use the same system that pushed Exeter in the 2nd half?

I also don’t understand why he continued a whole half when it was quite obvious it wasn’t working after ten minutes?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:07 “keep it simple”

by changing to a new formation with a day on the training pitch prior to the game. Why not just use the same system that pushed Exeter in the 2nd half?

I also don’t understand why he continued a whole half when it was quite obvious it wasn’t working after ten minutes?
The system we started with was the same as the one we used against Exeter in the second half.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:15
longmover wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:07 “keep it simple”

The system we started with was the same as the one we used against Exeter in the second half.
You beat me to it :lol:
longmover
why the big reaction to the ‘change’ at the start of the game then?
Si Robin
The reaction was down to the fact that despite it almost working against Exeter, DC still went with the tried and trusted 5-3-2 against Orient.

To decide to change the starting formation for such a big game, making 5 changes to the starting lineup was a surprise.
longmover
fair enough, DC has to take this one then, too much riding on a game to experiment and still wait until the 2nd to make any changes bearing in mind yiur one down.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:46 why the big reaction to the ‘change’ at the start of the game then?
It was still a new system. His complaints seemed more to be about the implementation of the system itself - players not making the right passes or runs.

I.e. perhaps in training the players practiced a move where the winger cuts inside, plays to a centre mid, who plays out to an overlapping fullback who then slides it back to winger running on goal whilst the centre forward has run to draw a defender out and open space. But then, say, in the heat of battle either the midfielder, fullback or striker doesn’t run, the system breaks down. Simplifying may mean instead of a four player move with three passes and four runs, DC finds a game plan where players are given a more simple two player, one pass, one run move to implement.

The best teams at the level will be so well drilled that when, say, the right fullback gets the ball on their right foot on the touch line level with the 18 yard line, every other player on the pitch, including the left forward knows where to run to create the space and passing angles. In my opinion I think DC is suggesting our players can’t or won’t do that.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 10 Apr 2024, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelvision
Si Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 13:22 The reaction was down to the fact that despite it almost working against Exeter, DC still went with the tried and trusted 5-3-2 against Orient.

To decide to change the starting formation for such a big game, making 5 changes to the starting lineup was a surprise.
For me DC should have rung the changes against Orient. It's been obvious that some players are running on fumes these last few games. To me, it would have been better to rest some key players (midfield 3 especially) for that game and have them rested for the more winnable (on paper anyway) game against Carlisle.

As stated above, making numerous personnel changes and changing the formation for such a key game was a high risk strategy, which backfired badly. The fact that the team showed little cohesion is unsurprising.
Shade
He's in a lose-lose situation. Not sticking up for DC, per se, as he shouldn't have bothered waiting for half time again when it obviously wasn't working. But, if he'd left it as it was again, and we'd played the same way as we did in the first half against Exeter and Orient, then he'd be getting stick for not doing changing it. I seem to remember seeing a fair few calling for the team that played 2nd half v Exeter and Orient to start v Carlisle. As it was, he did change it, we played just as bad, if not even worse, and he's getting stick for it. At the end of the day, you just have to accept these players have completely bottled it. And I'm not one to use that word often. But they truly looked like they'd bottled it on Tuesday. Bradbury especially looked s#!t scared and like he couldn't even remember the simplest laws of the game. To be honest, I'm surprised we won at Fleetwood. How did that happen?!