tinker man and next season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
so it looks like lge 2 next season
DC is he a tinkerman or is he just trying

Will DC be here next season
Who is going to be doing the signings
On contract for next season
Harris Freestone Bond Kinsella Keena
No idea if Harris is good enough for lge 2
Bond - sell in the summer -under used by tinkerman
Freestone solid but always has a bad tackle penalty in his game due to lack of speed
Kinsella - what does DC see in him
Lightweight neither one thing or other let go
Super striker Keena if anyone is interested let him go and watching him come good when played with a nother striker

So that leaves us street King Taylor Thomas
Happy with those 4 but .... who do we get

Will DC still be here his players would not suit all managers
I hope DC is here but who knows
So with 9 players in contract but probably only 6 here ay start of the season recruitment needs to be good
Also what size of squad as we have run out of players this season
CS85
When you have a manager and board of directors with a completely different transfer policy,and those opinions put out to all the fans through a forum........it doesn't end up with DC staying.

Freestone,bonds,kinsella,street and taylor.....
Id imagine sercombe will sign aswell.
Keena dropping a level may be ideal for him but not sure we can say we have a goal scorer for definite.
Jordan thomas will still be learning at a higher level so could be hit and miss.
Over all I think its a solid but not spectacular starting point.

Rumours Pett has triggered an extension clause after making a certain amount of appearances,whether that was dependent of staying up in league one aswell.....who knows.

With the right manager in charge and a (hopefully) mid table budget for league 2 we could have a decent rebuild given the amount of players we can ship out,but that all goes back to the start of my post where already we've had two differing opinions from the manager,and board which leads me to believe darrell will be off this summer.
Robin
Why are we calling the manager tinkerman? Am I alone in thinking this is a little disrespectful for someone who has done one hell of a job despite a lot of hindrance from those above.
Garby74
I'm with you Robin.
Got us to within a whisker of the great escape.
DC is far better than our board deserve!
Ralph
Robin wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 08:06 Why are we calling the manager tinkerman? Am I alone in thinking this is a little disrespectful for someone who has done one hell of a job despite a lot of hindrance from those above.
Its disrespectful... DC has done a great job since he's been here
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 08:06 Why are we calling the manager tinkerman? Am I alone in thinking this is a little disrespectful for someone who has done one hell of a job despite a lot of hindrance from those above.
I agree it is disrespectful, as is unsubstantiated claims of " a lot of hindrance from those above".
Ihearye
I am of the opinion that this is all academic. There seemed to be a gulf between the manager and the chairman during the forum. To the extent that I don't believe he will choose to remain. I am sure there will be other options available to him next season
Si Robin
Given he's under contract then as long as we're suitably compensated then so be it.

I don't want to lose DC, of course not. But much like he says about any players - if they don't want to be here then I don't want them here.
robinsrule
DC would have known when he joined that there was a good chance we would be relegated. I’m not sure we can read too much into speculation at this point. He has done an excellent job whatever happens this week and I really hope he stays.
Si Robin
robinsrule wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 09:41 DC would have known when he joined that there was a good chance we would be relegated. I’m not sure we can read too much into speculation at this point. He has done an excellent job whatever happens this week and I really hope he stays.
I agree. I think people are reading far too much in to Thursday night, putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 09:29 Given he's under contract then as long as we're suitably compensated then so be it.

I don't want to lose DC, of course not. But much like he says about any players - if they don't want to be here then I don't want them here.
Totally agree with that sentiment.
everyman
Ralph wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 08:50
Its disrespectful... DC has done a great job since he's been here
I`ts not disrespectful, he`s been forced to juggle with his team because of injuries and some senior players u able to play sat/tues/sat and never having a settled defence all season.
Jim
I think his comments at the AGM were ambiguous - basically he's keeping his options open and waiting to see the plan for next year.

I don't think tinkerman is disrespectful, it's true he tinkers a lot and we heard this from Vale fans. It's just how he works. I'd imagine we'd see fewer changes if we were in a different position but he doesn't seem to be a manager who keeps the same 11 game after game.
Horteng
It was pretty clear from the forum that DC wants to see a plan if he stays. It was also clear there is not much of a plan so I believe he will leave the club at the end of the season.
andgarod
If DC is going to go lets make sure its early and we have someone lined up
I dont think he will go as he will have unfinished business
Will/would Ian Barraclough step up it would seem obvious assuming he was still here
Meanwhile our scouting and lists will yet again suffer if there is no one at the helm
Any chance of early business
How many of the out of contract players will sign new contracts or try to move on Southwood Lloyd Long Ferry Davies Bradbury Pett ( I may have missed a few)
How many have triggered new contracts at lge 1 rates
There are 8 I believe on contracts for 24/25 and 25/26
So a major rebuild
So is it DC and Milton on the case
DC Barraclough and Milton
Barraclough and Milton
or Just Milton
HamTown
Isn't Barraclough only contracted until he end of the season?

I'd like to see the majority of players, budget depending, still here next season with some of the biggest earners e.g Southwood and Davies replaced by a young loans. I think a first team of the following would be competitive in L2:

Loan GK

Long / Loan RCB / Bradbury / Freestone / Williams

Bonds / Kinsella / Sercs

Street / (Taylor / Thomas)

Squad players- Sloggett, Keena
Si Robin
We have an option on Pett's contract I believe, which means he'll be with us next season unless we let him go.
Robin
It didn't sound to me like we had any player recruitment on-going for the summer, Clarke even said he'd make those decsions at the end of the season. Also he was clearly he would ideally not want any loans so I doubt we will see many next year if he is in charge.

Either way we are clearly already behind and that comes down to lack of planning but still some will refuse to see anything wrong with the current leadership of the club.
Si Robin
You keep banging on about it, but pray tell who takes over as leaders of the club.

I see plenty of criticism and little by way of solution.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 10:26 You keep banging on about it, but pray tell who takes over as leaders of the club.

Would anyone have known the names of prior board members before they were appointed apart from those close to them? I'm not ducking your question but you know full well I can't give names but equally I doubt you believe that there wouldn't be others willing to join the board. Whether they are an improvement or not would be up for debate. Personally I prefer a paid CEO even if it ruffles some feathers. Ideally we would ask the owners to help us partially fund the role and have clear metrics for that role to fund itself over time.
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 10:26 You keep banging on about it, but pray tell who takes over as leaders of the club.

Would anyone have known the names of prior board members before they were appointed apart from those close to them? I'm not ducking your question but you know full well I can't give names but equally I doubt you believe that there wouldn't be others willing to join the board. Whether they are an improvement or not would be up for debate. Personally I prefer a paid CEO even if it ruffles some feathers. Ideally we would ask the owners to help us partially fund the role and have clear metrics for that role to fund itself over time.
What’s knowing their names beforehand got to do with anything?!

Did you know Paul Baker before he became chairman? They could well have been lifelong supporters but unknown to most. Doesn’t mean they’re worse than a known supporter. Absolute tosh.
Si Robin
This is precisely what I mean.

All season on social media we've seen "Sack the board", "Get Bloxham out", etc, etc... But none of these people have the slightest clue about what would happen if the board resigned en masse.

The anti-Bloxham stuff is boring as well. As I said on another thread the other day, why not anti-Bence or anti-Beesley (I'm not advocating for this, I hasten to add). Bloxham is the face, but he is not a dictator.

That's not to say the board is above criticism, of course it isn't. They've made numerous mistakes this past 12 months and they shouldn't get away Scott free over them, but the club is on a sound financial footing and is not likely to fall into danger. I'd rather that than be in Morecambe's shoes.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 11:56 This is precisely what I mean.

All season on social media we've seen "Sack the board", "Get Bloxham out", etc, etc... But none of these people have the slightest clue about what would happen if the board resigned en masse.

The anti-Bloxham stuff is boring as well. As I said on another thread the other day, why not anti-Bence or anti-Beesley (I'm not advocating for this, I hasten to add). Bloxham is the face, but he is not a dictator.

That's not to say the board is above criticism, of course it isn't. They've made numerous mistakes this past 12 months and they shouldn't get away Scott free over them, but the club is on a sound financial footing and is not likely to fall into danger. I'd rather that than be in Morecambe's shoes.
I've not called for the board to be sacked once, just described them as well intentioned amateurs. I would like some professional experience added as I've said several times. Give me a CEO who can self fund the role and clear metrics to measure success because we are not moving forward off the field currently.
Si Robin
Have you listened to the Trust podcast with Paul Baker?

He explains in some detail why a CEO isn't necessarily needed at Cheltenham. Clarifies that we did in fact have one at one time and it simply didn't work.

That's not to say it won't work now, I just don't think it's necessarily the golden ticket a lot of people think it is.
ctfc-fan
“Well intentioned amateurs.” What a bloody insult to them. They all have specific backgrounds so not exactly amateurs.

What do you make of the directors of other clubs of similar footing then?
andgarod
ctfc-fan wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 12:38 “Well intentioned amateurs.” What a bloody insult to them. They all have specific backgrounds so not exactly amateurs.

So no one else is allowed to help
Plenty of people in the terraces have as much if not more experience than those on the board but it appears we do not reach out to them

We do or so it seems speak to the council but do we have any impact or do we just accept what they say
Does our former chairman influence the thinking on either side
Shade
FGR hired a New Zealander as a professional CEO last summer. Marcus Reynolds. It didn't really help them and he was gone long before they were relegated. And they're still a mess. He didn't really care about the club, it was just a job and an opportunity for him. Given we wouldn't be able to afford an experienced CEO, we would probably end up with the same. I'd rather we had a bit of a re-shuffle, if anything, and, following on from what I saw on another thread, Paul Godfrey, someone who cares greatly about the club, was widely seen as the CEO.
ctfc-fan
andgarod wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 12:38 “Well intentioned amateurs.” What a bloody insult to them. They all have specific backgrounds so not exactly amateurs.

So no one else is allowed to help
Plenty of people in the terraces have as much if not more experience than those on the board but it appears we do not reach out to them

We do or so it seems speak to the council but do we have any impact or do we just accept what they say
Does our former chairman influence the thinking on either side
Of course they can but you can’t have lots and lots of people in the boardroom and I don’t see many people stepping forward. If I had some money and inclination I would make myself known to those who need to know and take it from there.
horlickfanclub
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 12:18 Have you listened to the Trust podcast with Paul Baker?

He explains in some detail why a CEO isn't necessarily needed at Cheltenham. Clarifies that we did in fact have one at one time and it simply didn't work.

That's not to say it won't work now, I just don't think it's necessarily the golden ticket a lot of people think it is.
If he heard it he would selectively filter it out.
andgarod
he did not tinker last night

Well done everyone