COE and or DOF

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
So after last weeks spat will we see DOF or CEO
What is DC thoughts on the 2 position

Bring in a CEO but nobody to do the work other than himself
DOF will this upset the manager assuming he stays

Milton to be DOF is the easy option but who knows -it probably saves a bit of money
Robin
I heard the club were looking for a new commercial manager with the role having been vacant for a year now. This is the pace they operate on. Not sure a Director of Football would upset Clarke as he had one at both Bristol Rovers and Port Vale but it's important that role works well with him. Also no it should not be Russ Milton that would drive a further wedge between disgruntled fans and the board.
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:I heard the club were looking for a new commercial manager with the role having been vacant for a year now. This is the pace they operate on. Not sure a Director of Football would upset Clarke as he had one at both Bristol Rovers and Port Vale but it's important that role works well with him. Also no it should not be Russ Milton that would drive a further wedge between disgruntled fans and the board.
Robin, you’re the only one spouting this ‘disgruntled fans v the board’ stuff. I’m not disgruntled so you don’t speak for me.

Also if a vacancy has been open for a year, it could be for any manor of reasons. Doesn’t mean it’s the boards fault again.
asl
Nor me. I don't want the board sacked. I would love some significant new investment. Do I know how to get that? Nope, haven't a clue.
asl
By the way, you'll not get Coe - he's a bit busy preparing for the Olympics. You might be able to get Ovett - he seems not to be up to much, these days.
horlickfanclub
Another day and another post when Robin speaks for others . I did point this out on a previous post and his inconsistency of principles. This is a Forum of opinions but claiming to speak for others should be discouraged.
Warwickshire Robin
I am not for the board being removed either. I found the chants directed at David Bloxham on Saturday uncomfortable, unwarranted and unnecessary. However, I would like the board over the summer to at least start communicating what they are doing to put a plan in place to achieve their own stated aim of consolidating us as a mid table League 1 club.
DWx3
Indeed, who are these "disgruntled" fans and what planet are they living on? I keep hearing people talk about wanting to see a plan or understand what the board's ambitions are. I'd say their ambition is to make sure we're a well-run sustainable club regardless of what level we're at.

People need to realise that it is not realistic to think that CTFC can sustain football at a higher level than League One and be appreciative of what we have achieved given our resources.

To all these people constantly moaning about the board, I'd ask two simple questions: how many clubs can you name with our resources who have sustained football at a higher level and how many clubs with greater resources (i.e. history, fanbase, stadium, financial backing etc.) can you name who have found themselves stuck at a lower level? The list to the second question would be far longer than the first which tells you all you need to know.

This club has achieved a hell of a lot in the last 25 years while other clubs bigger and smaller have suffered tumultuous fortunes. I'd suggest anyone who feels "disgruntled" goes and finds another club to follow so they can see that the grass ain't greener elsewhere.
Robin
ctfc-fan wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 10:50
Robin wrote:I heard the club were looking for a new commercial manager with the role having been vacant for a year now. This is the pace they operate on. Not sure a Director of Football would upset Clarke as he had one at both Bristol Rovers and Port Vale but it's important that role works well with him. Also no it should not be Russ Milton that would drive a further wedge between disgruntled fans and the board.
Robin, you’re the only one spouting this ‘disgruntled fans v the board’ stuff. I’m not disgruntled so you don’t speak for me.

Also if a vacancy has been open for a year, it could be for any manor of reasons. Doesn’t mean it’s the boards fault again.

No I am not others were talking about it Saturday on here, I'm far from a lone voice a simple look through the forum will tell you that. Equally there are still a few that see nothing wrong at all.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 11:42 Another day and another post when Robin speaks for others . I did point this out on a previous post and his inconsistency of principles. This is a Forum of opinions but claiming to speak for others should be discouraged.

What a weird statement. Are you suggesting I am speaking for others or are yoiu ignoring there are disgruntled fans. :lol: Watch the forum, read posts on here and the chanting on Saturday at the ground I am clearly not a lone voice and equally I have never called for the board to be sacked.
Jerry St Clair
CEO is an interesting one. I've been an advocate for it, but JP on a recent Robins Report said that the club actually already have a defacto CEO in Paul Godfrey. Not something that had occurred to me.

The problem, of course, is that you're reliant on one individual going above and beyond which leaves you vulnerable to a departure.
andgarod
I was in the ground from 2pm
To see/hear the awards

I left about 10 minutes after the full time whistle

I did not at any time hear any anti bloxham or board chanting
Where and when was it
Was it from those who dont back the team/players when having a bad dad

In my opinion we need 2 or 2 more personnel to move things forward
Perhaps a bit of crowd funding or the trust paying some wages rather than paying for some cheap shares from Mr Baker
Why not spend the money buying shares from the club rather than the former chairman
Cheap shares do help the trust achieve anything but buying from the club would- okay you dont get so many

The board give of their time and experience but none of them apart from Paul G are full time club people
I dont see Paul G as the CEO
He may have his nose in everything but we need fresh ideas and doing other things
There are supporters out there that would give their time

There used to be work parties but not heard anything so far
CS85
Well I certainly heard Bloxham out chants.
Shade
CS85 wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 14:39 Well I certainly heard Bloxham out chants.
From where? I was in block 3 of the CF from 2.30 until the stadium was all but empty and didn't hear any.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 12:12
horlickfanclub wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 11:42 Another day and another post when Robin speaks for others . I did point this out on a previous post and his inconsistency of principles. This is a Forum of opinions but claiming to speak for others should be discouraged.

What a weird statement. Are you suggesting I am speaking for others or are yoiu ignoring there are disgruntled fans. :lol: Watch the forum, read posts on here and the chanting on Saturday at the ground I am clearly not a lone voice and equally I have never called for the board to be sacked.
horlickfanclub
It is not a weird statement. You often post as if you speak for others. I do watch the forum and read the posts and other post their opinions,which I respect, but you post as if you are speaking for others and show no respect. Where did I say anything to deny there are disgruntled fans ? Where did I say you had called for the board to be sacked? It is in your imagination or you are confused with someone else .
I did not hear any chanting about the Board on Saturday but if it occurred it was not in my area. Pretty disgraceful way to behave when the team is trying to win games but sums up a mentality.
Joey
DWx3 wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 11:57 Indeed, who are these "disgruntled" fans and what planet are they living on? I keep hearing people talk about wanting to see a plan or understand what the board's ambitions are. I'd say their ambition is to make sure we're a well-run sustainable club regardless of what level we're at.

People need to realise that it is not realistic to think that CTFC can sustain football at a higher level than League One and be appreciative of what we have achieved given our resources.

To all these people constantly moaning about the board, I'd ask two simple questions: how many clubs can you name with our resources who have sustained football at a higher level and how many clubs with greater resources (i.e. history, fanbase, stadium, financial backing etc.) can you name who have found themselves stuck at a lower level? The list to the second question would be far longer than the first which tells you all you need to know.

This club has achieved a hell of a lot in the last 25 years while other clubs bigger and smaller have suffered tumultuous fortunes. I'd suggest anyone who feels "disgruntled" goes and finds another club to follow so they can see that the grass ain't greener elsewhere.

I suspect most people are aware that League One is the club's ceiling for now and are aware of the tales of the likes of Yeovil and Scunthorpe as to how punching too far above your weight can go.

It's evident the club hasn't been too well run over the course of this season and there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that will change. Recruitment has been mostly pretty poor and we've been mugged off far too much when it has to come selling a certain forward and the departures of both Adam Murray and Micky Moore. Other than the hiring of DC, I can't see any decisions that have been made recently by the board that put them in a good light.

Regardless of what league we are in next season, there needs to be some changes off the pitch. Whether it's at a board level or bringing in people to work on commercials, investment and other areas. People are only "disgruntled" because they have concerns about the current direction of the club and the consequences of another rotten season could be dire if we are playing in League 2 next season.
Last edited by Joey on 22 Apr 2024, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
ctfc-fan
Joey wrote:
DWx3 wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 11:57 Indeed, who are these "disgruntled" fans and what planet are they living on? I keep hearing people talk about wanting to see a plan or understand what the board's ambitions are. I'd say their ambition is to make sure we're a well-run sustainable club regardless of what level we're at.

I suspect most people are aware that League One is the club's ceiling for now and are aware of the tales of the likes of Yeovil and Scunthorpe as to how punching too far above your weight can go.

It's evident the club hasn't been too well over the course of this season and there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that will change. Recruitment has been mostly pretty poor and we've been mugged off far too much when it has to come selling a certain forward and the departures of both Adam Murray and Micky Moore. Other than the hiring of DC, I can't see any decisions that have been made recently by the board that put them in a good light.

Regardless of what league we are in next season, there needs to be some changes off the pitch. Whether it's at a board level or bringing in people to work on commercials, investment and other areas. People are only "disgruntled" because they have concerns about the current direction of the club and the consequences of another rotten season could be dire if we are playing in League 2 next season.
Was MM going such a bad thing?
Robin
MM leaving a bad thing, the evidence suggests yes as recruitment dropped off considerably.
ctfc-fan
Shrewsbury haven’t faired much better since he went there, although granted they’re safe. And we don’t actually know who his signings were do we?
Si Robin
I don't think the issue was Mickey Moore going himself, so much as having no plan for when he did leave.

At best, this was naive on the Board's part. At worst, reckless. We'd already had to increase his wage earlier in the season to keep him from going to Forest Green, so it was clear to a blind man that he would up sticks at some point in the near future. When he went we were caught on the hop and we've been struggling to recover since.

It's criminal that Wade Elliott had no support staff on the opening day of pre-season. He had to go in September, but the bloke was hung out to dry to an extent.
Joey
More about the manner of it, rather than if it was good or bad for us.

If I remember correctly on the Robins Report MH mentioned that we have most of the staff on month to month contracts, which has lead to both the aforementioned leaving without any compensation and out of the blue. That sort of setup, and a general way to treat people in regards to their employment, is another thing I expect most people would like to see changed.
Si Robin
It wasn't month to month, it was a general working contract.

In my job I can leave at any time as long as I work my notice period - thats the contract Mickey Moore was on. He ended up serving his one month notice before going to Shrewsbury.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 19:13 I don't think the issue was Mickey Moore going himself, so much as having no plan for when he did leave.

At best, this was naive on the Board's part. At worst, reckless.
I have spent today updating my succession plan at work. My team of 12 is relatively stable, at least more stable than a league football club, but I still have one. I cannot get my head around the lack of basic planning at this football club.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 19:13 I don't think the issue was Mickey Moore going himself, so much as having no plan for when he did leave.

At best, this was naive on the Board's part. At worst, reckless. We'd already had to increase his wage earlier in the season to keep him from going to Forest Green, so it was clear to a blind man that he would up sticks at some point in the near future. When he went we were caught on the hop and we've been struggling to recover since.

It's criminal that Wade Elliott had no support staff on the opening day of pre-season. He had to go in September, but the bloke was hung out to dry to an extent.
Great take, I fully agree with every word.
asl
Si Robin wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 19:13 It's criminal that Wade Elliott had no support staff on the opening day of pre-season. He had to go in September, but the bloke was hung out to dry to an extent.
This. Couldn't agree more.
RS1978
Jerry St Clair wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 19:26

I have spent today updating my succession plan at work. My team of 12 is relatively stable, at least more stable than a league football club, but I still have one. I cannot get my head around the lack of basic planning at this football club.
Also this lack of basic planning will make us less attractive to current and potential staff/players and investors imo. If we've been a League club for 25ish years then most things associated with the club (marketing/merch/ticketing/facilities etc.) should be at least comparable with other League Two clubs by now. If it isn't, we need a plan to get these things to where they should be and a timescale to do it in?
Jerry St Clair
Good point. If I were looking to invest in the club, I would ask for the business strategy and plan as part of my due diligence. If they weren't forthcoming, that would ring alarm bells.
horlickfanclub
RS1978 wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 23:38
Jerry St Clair wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 19:26

Also this lack of basic planning will make us less attractive to current and potential staff/players and investors imo. If we've been a League club for 25ish years then most things associated with the club (marketing/merch/ticketing/facilities etc.) should be at least comparable with other League Two clubs by now. If it isn't, we need a plan to get these things to where they should be and a timescale to do it in?
Merchandise is in hand with a new operator and fans were invited to make suggestions of what they would like to see. Many clubs do not own a training ground as part of their facilities. Ben Tozer has written that the mighty wealthy Wrexham need to get one sorted as a priority. Credit to us for being ahead of Wrexham. Freehold ownership is a big attraction to investors.