Murray toms

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CS85
Has left his role on the ctfc board,due to work commitments :lol:
paperboy
Eagerly awaiting the first " I heard" post. 🤣🤣
longmover
thought as much, not heard from him in a while.
Fuller
It’s Murry not Murray.
Thought I saw him in the pub straight after the game the other week.
A big loss.
Previously the FED.
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/april/statement-fed/
Jerry St Clair
Bad news. Murry created the supporter services group after the awkward departure of Jenny Hancock from the SLO role. I do hope there are no further ructions in this area. We really need a bit of stability in supporter relations.
Horteng
Gone because he liked a twitter post suggesting DB should leave his role :roll: :roll:
Si Robin
If you believe that, then you'll believe anything
longmover
Bit odd though, accepting the position as a director you would hope that you're aware of the constraints it will have on your time and your work life (as in you have an idea of how busy your work life is for the foreseeable and therefore accept the role as a director) also Murry 'liking' that anti Bloxham tweet was an interesting move on his part.

Big shame though, a very progressive person is now not a member of the board, hopefully he will still be able to continue with the various projects he started and not disappear completely.
Last edited by longmover on 23 Apr 2024, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Si Robin
Murry seems to have a love/hate relationship with the board. It's not the first time he's been on the board and left.

I don't doubt he probably feels a bit toothless at trying to get things he's suggested through - but I also believe that it's more down to a change in his personal work circumstances in recent months.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 08:50 Murry seems to have a love/hate relationship with the board. It's not the first time he's been on the board and left.

I don't doubt he probably feels a bit toothless at trying to get things he's suggested through - but I also believe that it's more down to a change in his personal work circumstances in recent months.
yeah I just read the announcement (a year ago) welcoming him 'back' to the board :roll: Doubt we'll see him back on the board again, probably best for both parties.
Horteng
Si Robin wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 06:59 If you believe that, then you'll believe anything
Tell us more then Si...............
DWx3
Being a board member seems like a thankless task. I'd imagine 99% of supporters have no idea who the board are or their backgrounds or how much time they give for no remuneration (consider that this forum and regular Twitter posters are not representative of the +/- 4,000 who attend games regularly or the thousands more who follow from afar).

I read some well-balanced views on here but also a lot of people who just want to throw whatever c!#p they can at the board regardless of where we are as a club. To me what matters is having a sustainable football club that is a prominent part of the community and does its best to be competitive on the pitch within the resources available. I would say that the board (and previous boards) have achieved that exceptionally well.

I know Murry quite well on a personal level and he has been fantastic for this club. Supporters keep going on about wanting a full-time commercial manager, CEO, DOF or whatever not realising what that would cost in salary terms. Murry Toms hasn't just given himself as a well-intentioned volunteer but someone with vast professional experience and expertise in areas that have been of tangible value to the club. If he had operated on a paid basis it would have cost the club six figures or more over the years.

Without being privvy to Murry's reasons for stepping aside, I wish him all the best and thank him for what he has done.

I'm sure we'll see him again in the future but, as I said at the start of the post, it seems that whatever the board do it will never be enough in the eyes of many.
Oldun
"I read some well-balanced views on here but also a lot of people who just want to throw whatever c!#p they can at the board regardless of where we are as a club. To me what matters is having a sustainable football club that is a prominent part of the community and does its best to be competitive on the pitch
within the resources available. I would say that the board (and previous boards) have achieved that exceptionally well."

There speaks the voice of reason and sense. Thank you!
Jim
DWx3 wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 07:40 Being a board member seems like a thankless task. I'd imagine 99% of supporters have no idea who the board are or their backgrounds or how much time they give for no remuneration (consider that this forum and regular Twitter posters are not representative of the +/- 4,000 who attend games regularly or the thousands more who follow from afar).

I read some well-balanced views on here but also a lot of people who just want to throw whatever c!#p they can at the board regardless of where we are as a club. To me what matters is having a sustainable football club that is a prominent part of the community and does its best to be competitive on the pitch within the resources available. I would say that the board (and previous boards) have achieved that exceptionally well.

I know Murry quite well on a personal level and he has been fantastic for this club. Supporters keep going on about wanting a full-time commercial manager, CEO, DOF or whatever not realising what that would cost in salary terms. Murry Toms hasn't just given himself as a well-intentioned volunteer but someone with vast professional experience and expertise in areas that have been of tangible value to the club. If he had operated on a paid basis it would have cost the club six figures or more over the years.

Without being privvy to Murry's reasons for stepping aside, I wish him all the best and thank him for what he has done.

I'm sure we'll see him again in the future but, as I said at the start of the post, it seems that whatever the board do it will never be enough in the eyes of many.
My counter to that would be that he would be working for the club on a full-time basis, dedicating all of his professional time and focus on the club and surely achieving even more than he has. I have no idea how many hours he dedicates to the club, and I'm sure it's a lot, but it is obviously come to point where his other commitments are limiting the time he can spend on the club.

The reason I (and probably others) want a CEO is that they would be full-time, and paid to work for CTFC. I have no doubt about the dedication of our volunteer board members, but that's what they are, and their actual jobs will probably always need to take precedence over the club.