Open comment to the board

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

eeneff
I’m writing this on the night of 27 April, the day relegation was confirmed. Sorrows drowned etc etc

In all honesty the fact that the inevitable (so it seemed in October) went to the last weekend was, with due respect to the players, down to one man: Darryl Clarke. You, the board, (note the lack of capitals - capitals show respect (Mum, Dad etc)) need to show ambition, keep and back DC. He, DC, can do what Gary Johnson did when we slipped back into the Conference and bounced straight back. But he needs to be backed.

As a season ticket holder since the early 90s, it seems to me that a lot of things have not moved on and the club has lacked the ambition to move on. We’ve always punched our weight - budget v crowd numbers v expectation. Comment in the local media this evening suggest all is not well at board level. Only a couple of years ago the board, from what those of us not privy to board matters, appears to oust a chairman that wished to progress the club.

While I’m in a position to invest in my team in a small way, would I? No. There appears to be a private club attitude towards involvement and investment. I’m sure I speak for all fans that it’s appreciated that CTFC is, and has been, run as a business and not a 'win at all cost seeking glory football club’ there still needs to be some desire. I’m not convinced that is currently the case.

We don’t have a seriously wealthy benefactor like Dale Vince - look at what FGR ave achieved! - but we do have real team spirit now. Much, (most?) of that has come from Darryl. Let us not be a Forest Green and do what they’ve ‘achieved’ in the last two seasons.

Let’s start building a team to bounce back to League 1 and use Darryl as the talisman to do it.
CTFCfan99
His name is Darrell.
asl
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 22:13 His name is Darrell.
Kinda ruins the gravitas, doesn't it...?
Malabus
Since Darrell has arrived, I've seen his name spelt in six different ways.
Si Robin
eeneff wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 22:10 I’m writing this on the night of 27 April, the day relegation was confirmed. Sorrows drowned etc etc

In all honesty the fact that the inevitable (so it seemed in October) went to the last weekend was, with due respect to the players, down to one man: Darryl Clarke. You, the board, (note the lack of capitals - capitals show respect (Mum, Dad etc)) need to show ambition, keep and back DC. He, DC, can do what Gary Johnson did when we slipped back into the Conference and bounced straight back. But he needs to be backed.

As a season ticket holder since the early 90s, it seems to me that a lot of things have not moved on and the club has lacked the ambition to move on. We’ve always punched our weight - budget v crowd numbers v expectation. Comment in the local media this evening suggest all is not well at board level. Only a couple of years ago the board, from what those of us not privy to board matters, appears to oust a chairman that wished to progress the club.

While I’m in a position to invest in my team in a small way, would I? No. There appears to be a private club attitude towards involvement and investment. I’m sure I speak for all fans that it’s appreciated that CTFC is, and has been, run as a business and not a 'win at all cost seeking glory football club’ there still needs to be some desire. I’m not convinced that is currently the case.

We don’t have a seriously wealthy benefactor like Dale Vince - look at what FGR ave achieved! - but we do have real team spirit now. Much, (most?) of that has come from Darryl. Let us not be a Forest Green and do what they’ve ‘achieved’ in the last two seasons.

Let’s start building a team to bounce back to League 1 and use Darryl as the talisman to do it.
They got rid of a guy who's plan wasn't to modernise but to spend money the club didn't have chasing a dream it likely wouldn't achieve. A guy who promised to put in £75k a year but actually invested the grand total of sod all.

He talked a good game, but when it came to it, he didn't back his chat with anything tangible. That's why he was gotten rid of.

Seems to me some people just want to be told the club will spend and "go for it" rather than deal with the truth of the matter. That doesn't mean the board can't be better and, I agree with the fact that it does seem like an old boys club at times. They are not immune to criticism - but this pining for a snake oil salesman baffles me.
Garby74
Missed opportunities

Sums up quite a lot about our club.

On the pitch

In the back room

And up stairs

Our season was doomed partly due to good people moving on. Why did they move on?
Lack of ambition maybe?
Probably the same reason DC will walk.

And round and round we go
Ralph
We have to keep Darrell. He is the reason we got to the last game still with a chance of staying up. Yes we need to give him what he believes we need to do it.

Will the board do it? Not convinced that they will . We need to back Darrell
shevates
Ralph wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:14 We have to keep Darrell. He is the reason we got to the last game still with a chance of staying up. Yes we need to give him what he believes we need to do it.

Will the board do it? Not convinced that they will . We need to back Darrell
The fans have backed DC that has been evident since he arrived. After 11 games of this season who would of thought we would of taken it to the final day, I certainly didn't. DC deserves so much respect for what he has done, the players he brought in wanted to play for him. He actually polished some of the turds we already had. He developed a squad which was mid table material.
He is a man who shows ambition, he wants to shine at his job. He needs to be backed, he needs to be shown we are behind him. I'm sure he knows the fans believe in him. We need the board to back him and show their ambition
slinky_dog
It’s the Town that needs to back the club. And the fickle fanbase.

I was embarrassed when I watched the AGM feed. The Directors should have cut the whinging fans off at their knees. To humour that nonsense and actually broadcast it was cringeworthy.

Let’s hope DC sees enough opportunity here to stay. Yes, the Board must play a major part in articulating the vision but it is worthless if the town doesn’t buy into that.
horlickfanclub
I agree with that Slinky. The gates have gone up this season and hopefully the fans will stick with the club next season. The attitude of some though is disrespectful . Some on social media and news media spout the same misinformed rubbish and you can appreciate why good people would not want to get involved helping the club.
Benctfc
I'm not quite sure how this progresses. DC obviously wants a competitive budget next season but the honest truth is we don't have the capability of providing that. Even putting all our money towards the playing budget we will be looking at one of the lowest playing budgets next season. He will have known this when he took the job.

The only way i see him staying is if he can persuade one of the shareholders to back him and provide him with some extra funds which is out of the boards hands. It's all right saying sack the board but who replaces them? No one is going to come in and invest money into the club without being the majority stakeholder and having some influence which can be a slippery slope. No way would i want to copy other clubs and be reliant on one person bank rolling the club.
Shade
DC doesn't necessarily want a big budget. He said as much. What he wants is a plan of how the club is going to move forward, mostly with Seasons so that he can work better with his players. I think that's where he initially wants the shareholders he wanted to meet with to put their money, as it's owned by the club and an asset and he can turn a midtable squad into a promotion capable squad.
plymrob
I have had enough of these posts. Still in mourning, but we go again. Open letters, posts, etc. should be immediatly referred back to the arseholes that posted them....

Cheltenham Town are my team. I think we do have a plan and/or an ambition. (That's semantics). Generally they equate. We want to be an EFL team. Good times in League One - who would ever have thought?

League Two. Come on, we will still buck the trend. It's the collective that matters.
plymrob
By the way... fancy being described as a "turd"... Surely we can do better as supporters....?