[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Robins Nest Forum • View topic - Worst away trips in the Football League

Worst away trips in the Football League

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 2, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Worst away trips in the Football League

Postby Robin » 18 Oct 2021, 09:20

Following the cup draw it got me thinking what are the worst or least popular away days in the football league? For me it would be the following (not in order):
1. Gillingham - Long way to go, uncovered 'temporary' away stand, usually poor atmosphere, not a very nice place and the home side usually play a physical hoofball style. Only one pub near by from what I recall.
2. Bristol Rovers - Not too far but that away end is awful, even when we fill it there is little atmosphere and the locals are unwelcoming so generally not accepted into the pubs.
3. Stevenage - this one may seem harsh as they've improved the ground to be tidy if a little tiny but it's an awful cross country trip, there is generally little atmosphere and we always seem to lose there (last season being an exception).

I suspect the first two will feature heavilly for many but interested to see the results. Others I was thinking of but didn't quite make my list are Fleetwood and FGR.
Robin

Re: Worst away trips in the Football League

Postby Shade » 18 Oct 2021, 09:57

Orient is up there for me. I'd imagine Luton from what I've heard and seen but I haven't been, myself.
Shade

Postby longmover » 18 Oct 2021, 09:58

Rotherham's old ground Millmoor and Doncaster's Belle Vue both like visiting Chernobyl after the accident.
longmover

Postby Nesty » 18 Oct 2021, 12:40

Nesty

Postby Robin » 18 Oct 2021, 12:53

Robin

Postby Shade » 18 Oct 2021, 13:20

"Relatively nice area of East London" is like saying Pyongyang is nice, in the spring :lol: but seriously, I had an awful time the one and only time I went there so it will always be amongst my worst places to go to. And I seem to remember the seating was wooden at the time.
Shade

Postby RegencyCheltenhamSpa » 18 Oct 2021, 13:24

I don’t think the Gas is too bad. Was a decent enough atmosphere by the away fans last time I went there.

I agree with Gillingham. The only time I went the home fans had half of that open temporary stand and were chanting “BNP! BNP!” on frequent occasions during the game. And as you say, an architecturally barren settlement in the Medway swamp.

I cannot decide about Barrow. Ostensibly an awful place to get to and watch football, but because it was during our Champions season and I made a weekend of it the memories are all positive and enjoyable despite the lashing rain.

Similarly Newport…easy enough to get to (and escape from luckily) but being in the away end on the side but 10 yards further along the side than the goal line is a very unique and poor experience.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Postby RegencyCheltenhamSpa » 18 Oct 2021, 13:27

RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Postby Si Robin » 18 Oct 2021, 13:53

I've never felt the Bristol Rovers fans were unwelcoming either. In fact I've drunk in the bar at the ground and another couple of pubs in the streets around the ground with no issues, and actually had some decent conversations with their supporters.

Hull was a shite away day, and their fans were animals. This was in one of their first seasons in their new ground as well.

Ultimately, away days tend to be what you make them. Accrington when we lost 4-0 under Allen should have been a shite away day, on a cold coverless terrace, but the pub was fantastic and a good laugh was had by all. Burton in 2010 was turning into a shocking one and at 3:45 I wanted to be anywhere else - at 4:55 it had been one of the best away days ever as a fan.

My only trip to Millmoor was a fantastic occasion and their pies were outstanding.
Si Robin

Postby Artemis » 18 Oct 2021, 13:55

Oxford. 3/4 of a stadium right on the outskirts of Oxford, virtually inaccessible by public transport, parking horrendous and nowhere near anywhere to drink.
Artemis

Postby Jerry St Clair » 18 Oct 2021, 14:44

Jerry St Clair

Postby Jerry St Clair » 18 Oct 2021, 14:59

I'm going to nominate Wolves. Been to Molineux three times and been physically attacked twice. I don't generally like stereotyping an entire club's fans as awful, but for Wolves I make an exception. Apart from the assaults, I've been spat at, had coins thrown at me and told to "get out, this is a Wolves pub today". I know others who've had the same experience. If Cheltenham ever have the misfortune of playing there, I wouldn't go. it's probably the only league ground I would refuse to attend a game at.
Jerry St Clair

Postby asl » 18 Oct 2021, 15:28

asl

Postby Sprout Picker » 18 Oct 2021, 17:27

I remember looking over the back of the stand at Gillingham some years back to see a bloke dragging a washing machine up the street - literally scraping it along the road leaving white paint on the tarmac. Summed the place up - what a shit-hole.
Sprout Picker

Postby Anteros » 18 Oct 2021, 18:43

Anteros

Postby Ihearye » 18 Oct 2021, 19:42

Crawley Town.
Mid week sub zero conditions and a dump of a ground
Ihearye

Postby Robin » 18 Oct 2021, 22:50

Robin

Postby Andrew GCAFC Fan » 19 Oct 2021, 04:11

Had the pleasure of going to Luton Town when GCAFC played them away in the FA Trophy. The game was switched to a Friday night as there was a National front march or something on the Saturday. Can remember arriving at Luton on the Supporters coach, there were Police Officers on patrol. Made for a tense atmosphere.
Never been to a game here, but have been to Scunthorpe with work. As you approach, you can smell the iron ore. Isn't there nickname the irons? It seemed to be somewhere out towards nowhere. I think Grimsby is in that direction.
Andrew GCAFC Fan

Postby shevates » 19 Oct 2021, 06:29

Gillingham wins this accolade without doubt, followed by Barrow and any other ground that cant provide covering for visiting supporters. Also make you eat veggie stuff and drink soya milk. Thought id throw that one in
shevates

Postby Si Robin » 19 Oct 2021, 06:36

Si Robin

Postby RegencyCheltenhamSpa » 19 Oct 2021, 07:03

RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Postby theidlerich » 19 Oct 2021, 07:58

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Forest Green.....
theidlerich

Postby Si Robin » 19 Oct 2021, 08:12

I've been to FGR a few times, but not since they put away fans on the side.

Our first visit in 2015 was actually a pleasant night I thought - they put on a beer bus and food outside the away stand and the stand behind the goal was like being in the old C&G - certainly not the worst experience I've ever had.

I have heard awful talk of what it's like for away fans now though.
Si Robin

Postby Jerry St Clair » 19 Oct 2021, 08:44

Jerry St Clair

Postby longmover » 19 Oct 2021, 08:57

I'd be interested to know how many times we have returned to these awful places?
longmover

Postby Shade » 19 Oct 2021, 10:21

It would seem that any club/ground that isn't in a major city is generally ok, unless they have a soulless new-ish stadium in the middle of nowhere. It seems that all of the worst places to go are city areas or, like Oxford, on a trading estate with nothing of note within walking distance.
Shade

Postby theidlerich » 19 Oct 2021, 10:47

Although attended very few away games I would rate FGR experience as the worst; with QPR ground pretty awful [ was that against Fulham?] and York soulless.
theidlerich

Postby Artemis » 19 Oct 2021, 11:06

Artemis

Postby RegencyCheltenhamSpa » 19 Oct 2021, 11:48

RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Postby Artemis » 19 Oct 2021, 14:41

Artemis

Postby RegencyCheltenhamSpa » 19 Oct 2021, 20:31

On the flip, I always think that if you are an away fan who comes straight to WR it must be an awful away day.

Yes if you park on town or Bath Rd/Suffolks, or arrive by train, and take in some of the country’s best streets and pubs it is one of the very best days out in the UK. But if you go straight to WR there is the Whaddon Rd chippy and balls all else and no obvious direction to walk in to find anything.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Postby Robin » 19 Oct 2021, 21:21

Robin

Postby Robin » 19 Oct 2021, 21:22

Robin

Postby RegencyCheltenhamSpa » 19 Oct 2021, 21:31

RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Postby Leckyfan » 19 Oct 2021, 21:37