Stasi Sercurity Checks - "Show me your papers"

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
I was aggressively approached by sercurity as I attended this evening game. Here is some of my concerns.

1.I was not given a VALID reason for the search.

2.I did not give consent to the search. They seem to think they can act in a distasteful manner towards the paying public.

3.When I forced a reason for the search I was told "SEVERE STATE OF TERRORISM".

4. I was then threatened that if I didn't consent to the search I would be thrown out, so I didn't have much choice.

Supported the club since the mid-80's and I've have never been treated in this way before.
If you are reading CTFC this isn't portraying the club in a positive way.
asl
Is it cos you is black...?

In all seriousness, I've been patted down by stewards at many an away game (never at home, though.) Did this differ from a regular quick frisk to make sure you're not carrying weapons or pyrotechnics?
everyman
[quote="Malabus"]I was aggressively approached by sercurity as I attended this evening game. Here is some of my concerns.

1.I was not given a VALID reason for the search.

2.I did not give consent to the search. They seem to think they can act in a distasteful manner towards the paying public.

3.When I forced a reason for the search I was told "SEVERE STATE OF TERRORISM".

4. I was then threatened that if I didn't consent to the search I would be thrown out, so I didn't have much choice.

Supported the club since the mid-80's and I've have never been treated in this way before.
If you are reading CTFC this isn't portraying the club in a positive way.[/quote]
The guy who searched me seemed to enjoy his moment of power and i would doubt his level of standing in the community without the uniform.
asl
Malabus
[quote="asl"]https://www.ctfc.com/news/2021/december ... ch-policy/[/quote]
Thanks for the link, ASL.
ian
Don’t know why everyone is kicking off about the checks. If you are goading Bolton fans all game and drunk beyond belief, of course you’re going to be kicked out. Flares outside the Bolton stadium mean fans do have them and then searched at home games.

If some people are picked for searches and some not, then there will be people saying the ‘security staff’ are picking certain people out. Let them do it and then they’ll stop doing it eventually.

As for the police presence at today’s game, it will only get bigger and more visible.
Don’t know if anyone saw the 2 police vans in the car park after the game. After Lincoln’s ‘winner’ a cheltenham supporter spat at one of the Lincoln players. Then when the Cheltenham match day staff held him, he tried to escape. That’s when the police got involved.

I’m not sure why there are so many incidents happening now we are in league one. I would have thought block one would have grown up but it seems to be a few people letting the club down.

Fans wanting the board to do things differently, but then not doing things properly themselves. It’s getting embarrassing.

On a positive note... at least we didn’t lose. Shame we have conceded 11 goals in 3 games against Wimbledon, Cambridge and Lincoln. At least we have the whole club together to get through this...

COYR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
[quote="ian"]Don’t know why everyone is kicking off about the checks. If you are goading Bolton fans all game and drunk beyond belief, of course you’re going to be kicked out. Flares outside the Bolton stadium mean fans do have them and then searched at home games.

If some people are picked for searches and some not, then there will be people saying the ‘security staff’ are picking certain people out. Let them do it and then they’ll stop doing it eventually.

As for the police presence at today’s game, it will only get bigger and more visible.
Don’t know if anyone saw the 2 police vans in the car park after the game. After Lincoln’s ‘winner’ a cheltenham supporter spat at one of the Lincoln players. Then when the Cheltenham match day staff held him, he tried to escape. That’s when the police got involved.

I’m not sure why there are so many incidents happening now we are in league one. I would have thought block one would have grown up but it seems to be a few people letting the club down.

Fans wanting the board to do things differently, but then not doing things properly themselves. It’s getting embarrassing.

On a positive note... at least we didn’t lose. Shame we have conceded 11 goals in 3 games against Wimbledon, Cambridge and Lincoln. At least we have the whole club together to get through this...

COYR[/quote]

Incidents are on the rise across football during the last year. A lot of it linked to the now commonplace drug taking before and during games. I hoped that wouldn’t be happening at CTFC but maybe it is. At least it is just one or two individuals unlike some of the bigger clubs where there are much larger groups doing worse things at games and to opposing fans.
Malabus
[quote="ian"]Don’t know why everyone is kicking off about the checks. If you are goading Bolton fans all game and drunk beyond belief, of course you’re going to be kicked out. Flares outside the Bolton stadium mean fans do have them and then searched at home games.

COYR[/quote]

Don't think that justifies 7 sercurity heavies and 4 coppers beating the s#!t out of the man.

I'm feel deterred going to matches now if we got to get through Checkpoint-Charlie just to watch a game.
The club must do much more to make it a welcoming place for ordinary people.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
[quote="Malabus"][quote="ian"]Don’t know why everyone is kicking off about the checks. If you are goading Bolton fans all game and drunk beyond belief, of course you’re going to be kicked out. Flares outside the Bolton stadium mean fans do have them and then searched at home games.

COYR[/quote]

Don't think that justifies 7 sercurity heavies and 4 coppers beating the s#!t out of the man.

I'm feel deterred going to matches now if we got to get through Checkpoint-Charlie just to watch a game.
The club must do much more to make it a welcoming place for ordinary people.[/quote]

That is the crux of the dilemma. To make it welcoming for ordinary people you need to stop the spitters, coin throwers, abuse spouters, flare lighters and general anti-social people coming in. But then it is hard to stop them coming in without infringing on the experience of normal people.

I do not want to searched before entering. I do not want to see drunk or drugged up people messing about, throwing things, being abusive or causing damage. I don’t want to see security staff having to subjugate and remove the drunk or drugged up people with force*. But without the first you increase the risk of the two. The third is a means to dealing with the second. The second could create the most consequences.

All of those three things make the match day experience worse for ordinary normal people and will put them off coming back or bringing along new fans. I do not know which of the three is least worse or will most effectively stop this behaviour at football - that is for the experts to decide.

Maybe it is something the SLO and Trust can support the club to ‘have a conversation’ with fans on?

*nb I am not accusing any of the people involved on skirmishes on Saturday as being on drugs or drunk at games, but it is something prevalent in the EFL this season so I would be surprised if it is not happening in our support based.
Fuller
On a similar note, I was watching the Quest EFL show highlights last night and although thankfully it didn't happen at ours yesterday, more and more games have fans who are running on to the pitch when goals are scored.
It was mentioned in the discussion with the presenters on the programme.
If you run on the pitch and get caught you get chucked out or even arrested?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
[quote="Fuller"]On a similar note, I was watching the Quest EFL show highlights last night and although thankfully it didn't happen at ours yesterday, more and more games have fans who are running on to the pitch when goals are scored.
It was mentioned in the discussion with the presenters on the programme.
If you run on the pitch and get caught you get chucked out or even arrested?[/quote]

Seems to be potluck. One Wednesday fan did at ours because he got caught. The ones who didn’t get caught I assume are free to re-offend at the next game.

And more incidents happening like this at Accrington last week by Fleetwood thugs: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... ccrington/

One of the reasons Sunderland fans I know were positive is about us is because we didn’t spend all game throwing stuff from the upper tier down on to the home fans below. Morecambe were throwing beer, bottles and coins all match last week apparently and Coventry and others even through flares and sharp objects down this season. The Coventry fans are the main reason why when we visited I had to empty my pockets on to the floor and have a sniffer dog give me the once over on the way to the turnstiles.

And anyone taking trains on a Saturday morning or evening knows the criminality does not start and stop at the turnstiles.

The whole thing is a real downer on having fans back in stadiums. A minority ruining it for everyone else.