trying to compose a list

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

bigdavejambo
Shade wrote:Interesting looking down that list and seeing who has gone on to better things, which are still floating around the same L1/L2 level, and which have fallen away or disappeared completely in the last 22-odd years. I think Boston, Bury, Chester, Darlington, Halifax, Hereford, Macclesfield, Rushden and Stockport (not sure about that one, did they go bust or just fall a long way?) have all gone out of business in that time.

Boston didnt go bust. they took voluntary relegation
Si Robin
Nothing voluntary about it - they were demoted by the Conference board at the Conference AGM as a result of unpaid tax.

The contract between the Football League and Conference/National League states that the Conference will take two clubs from the Football League - it doesn't state which division they have to accept them into. As such, the Conference accepted Boston but into the Conference North and not the Premier.

They were then relegated into the Norther Premier League following administration.
Shade
Ah, I see. Demoted 2 divisions and then relegated again a year later due to still being in administration. I thought they'd eventually been wound up. Although, rather than the Conference choosing where to put them, I read that FA rules dictated that they be demoted 2 divisions as a result of HM Revenue & Customs placing a restriction into the CVA of Boston not being allowed to pay football creditors 100% of what they were owed.