Sean Long Appreciation Thread

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Warwickshire Robin
Having just seen the nominations for the POTM for October and not seen his name on the list I just wanted to throw some love the way of Sean Long.

Since Longy came back from his injury last season he has been ever present playing all along the back line, mainly out of position and consistently in my view, giving at least 7 out of 10 performances pretty much every week. He isn't flashy or spectacular, I guess that may be why he seems to go under the radar? He never seems to make a bad mistake (hope that isn't cursing him!), is decent on the ball and holds his own in the air at centre back for someone who isn't as physical or as tall as a lot of the strikers he comes up against. He has even taken over the long throw duties and I saw mention the other day that we have scored 8 goals from long throws this season, so whilst they may not have the 'zip' of a Tozer effort or be quite as long they are still proving effective.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest!
HamTown
I was going to post a something very similar!

Hes been so dependable since the constant injuries hitting the back line from last season. Even last Tuesday away at Pompey he finished in the center of the back 3 with Horton to the right and Freestone to the left
Shade
Solid and dependable players rarely get the praise they deserve. He reminds me a bit of Craig Armstrong and Keith Lowe, etc, who you could always rely on to do a job no matter where they were asked to play. Only I think Longy is even more dependable than those two were. Getting SL to sign another deal in the summer was one of the most crucial bits of business MD did.
tunnelvision
Probably our most reliable and consistent player. Nice guy too, as he happily chatted to me, when I bumped into a few players in Sainsbury's the other year.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Doing OK but hope our main CB’s return.
asl
Yes...comparisons with Armstrong, in particular, is a good one: always 6 or 7 out of 10 - hardly ever lower; rarely higher.